INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're talking about a rather different product to the pre-amp we've been discussing so far - but I have to say I rather like the minimalist design idea.
yeah, i know. it just suggestion for which doesn't make sense to start new topic but i believe such unit would be quite
convenient and desirable for many not only here at QQ but elsewhere as well. direction toward file formats storage
and utilization instead of discs is very obvious. it just matter of time who's will be first to offer better solution.

A very different product but a really neat idea! (apart from Wi-Fi, wired 1G Ethernet is way more reliable with far less bit errors)

Like the level dB meter & colours , Chucky/Chris could that be one of the selectable 'VU styles' for the pre-amp OLED display?

(Mind you I hope I've still got a job to be able to afford one, not looking good at the minute!)

hey guys from down under, can Involve do something like this?
plays every HiRez surround format from files or image
has internal swappable HDD
integrable to home WiFi network
able to sync with PC
plays main video formats (mpeg, mp4, avi, mkv, etc.)
has built-in decoders for SQ, QS, CD-4 thus recorded LP can be processed thru in either .wav or .flac format
buil-in involve surround decoder...
...etc.

View attachment 25922

:p

(apart from Wi-Fi, wired 1G Ethernet is way more reliable with far less bit errors)
in fact to avoid such possible hassle i suggested in unit HDD and ability to sync it with PC.
you can rip from disc image or, let's say audio PCM/DTS-HDMA stream from BD-A or even re-encode it into flac.
from folder on PC, which is synced with unit, this stuff by default would be sent and stored to unit's HDD.
thus when you play it, there aren't any traffic over the network. it's will be buffered in memory and played direct from internal HDD.

A very different product but a really neat idea! (apart from Wi-Fi, wired 1G Ethernet is way more reliable with far less bit errors)

If you're going to add Multichannel Music Files "from all formats" (DSD, WAV and FLAC), you'd want a USB input along with Ethernet since most DACs these days are using a USB input.
Unless this future product would include a DAC vs. being a streamer. Then a USB port becomes optional.

If you're going to add Multichannel Music Files "from all formats" (DSD, WAV and FLAC), you'd want a USB input along with Ethernet since most DACs these days are using a USB input.
Unless this future product would include a DAC vs. being a streamer. Then a USB port becomes optional.
that's exactly what was suggested.
roughly, it's should be sort of like existent BD OPPO, only much better and instead of disc drive, should have HDD to
store music library. UPnP not a main feature, rather as an extra, to stream pictures, movies, internet stuff like Netflix,
YouTube, maybe some average stereo music which isn't part of library.

2 thoughts:
-Make the tape monitor loop 4 channel so that other decoders can be put into a loop ( eg to compare a sansui qsd1 )
-this one will be controversial. Since this device will have phono preamp stages why not integrate the proposed cd4 demod into this as the demod for sure will also need phono stage...or make cd 4 an option on it assuming the demod eventually comes to market

Last edited:
Hi Soundfield

We are still ploughing through headphone surround and 2 speaker surround. The surround preamp will be after that. Having said that we have started preliminary design. We hope funds will be available shortly to increase our R+D team. I really want my surround pre amp!!!!

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky / Chris - any progress on the Surround Pre-Amp?
Cheers.

Hi All

I have been asked by "Four Rules" for an update on what we are up to......here goes.

As you may know we have been dabbling in headphone surround with the general philosophy that the "edge" we may have is we have (not modestly) the best stereo to surround sound converter that combined with an improved headphone surround hrtf would be an interesting product. Particularly as we noted if someone could solve the largely ignored problem of no proper frontal image.

I note that there are more and more entries to this headphone surround market,

Waves NX,

3D Sound labs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGaEb-aM8s

And a bundle of others that my old frail memory forgets. I have been very unimpressed by all of these including the wrong idea of multiple drivers in each cup. We have reached a point in our development that we have succeeded in moving the frontal image somewhat out of the center of the head but not enough in my opinion. In addition it looks like there is roughly 15 different ear/ head combinations that have to be catered for. In short we have reached a stage where we need to get into very heavy mathematics and DSP programming.

In short I am thinking about suspending temporarily research in this area as it is really fast becoming a "me too" area with a bunch of products that do not work all primed to confuse a gullible sheep like market.

So given I may duck for cover on this for a while our small R +D team will focus on the following priority list:

1 Two channel surround based on an update of the Y2 system, I do not know of other STEREO systems that can do this in any seat in the room and we have proved that we can. I have internal pressure to work on a sound bar (yuck) but again in my humble view the market on sound bars is already saturated, hope I win this arguement!

2 The involve preamp has been progressing slowly and we are playing with the OLED display module. I really want this product myself.

3 CD4 surround for the SM, have not started yet but at least it is scheduled.

I hope the above clarifies things

Regards

Chucky

Chucky - I’m only slightly disappointed that you’ve decided to drop the headphone processor. Only slightly since, whilst it would have been great if you had cracked it, there are indeed plenty of ‘me too’ products out there and the fact that none of them work very well (unless you simply want whizz bang video game or home cinema effects) means you may have been committing valuable resources to a fool’s errand given the current state of subject knowledge.

I can’t help thinking that this is not simply a matter at throwing ever more clever mathematicians at the problem, I suspect that the reason that none of these things work convincingly (or even vaguely in many cases!) is that they are built on a fundamental misunderstanding of how the ear-brain system works. It reminds me of how we thought we ‘understood’ human colour vision thanks to the simple 3 colour model - except that everyone (at least until Edwin Land made a big fuss over the issue in the 70’s) had to gloss over the inconvenient fact that it couldn’t account for such major anomalies such as colour constancy. So it doesn’t matter how much you refine and polish a model and implement it with ever greater accuracy with increasingly powerful processors – if it’s actually the wrong model it will never replicate the real world.

At least this means that the pre-amp that we’re all waiting for will go slightly higher up the priority list.
Good luck with this and the intriguing 2Ch surround system.
Cheers,
Soundfield.

Hallo Chucky,

thanks for your swift reply. I´m particularly interested in the involve preamp (glad to see you want this product yourself) as a bridge between my analogue and digital stuff. I just hate multi-way-switching boxes with lots of cables that look aweful and never fit.
So I return back into "wait-mode".
Regards
Charles

Hallo Chucky,

thanks for your swift reply. I´m particularly interested in the involve preamp (glad to see you want this product yourself) as a bridge between my analogue and digital stuff. I just hate multi-way-switching boxes with lots of cables that look aweful and never fit.
So I return back into "wait-mode".
Regards
Charles

Hi All

I have been asked by "Four Rules" for an update on what we are up to......here goes.

As you may know we have been dabbling in headphone surround with the general philosophy that the "edge" we may have is we have (not modestly) the best stereo to surround sound converter that combined with an improved headphone surround hrtf would be an interesting product. Particularly as we noted if someone could solve the largely ignored problem of no proper frontal image.

I note that there are more and more entries to this headphone surround market,

Waves NX,

3D Sound labs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGaEb-aM8s

And a bundle of others that my old frail memory forgets. I have been very unimpressed by all of these including the wrong idea of multiple drivers in each cup. We have reached a point in our development that we have succeeded in moving the frontal image somewhat out of the center of the head but not enough in my opinion. In addition it looks like there is roughly 15 different ear/ head combinations that have to be catered for. In short we have reached a stage where we need to get into very heavy mathematics and DSP programming.

In short I am thinking about suspending temporarily research in this area as it is really fast becoming a "me too" area with a bunch of products that do not work all primed to confuse a gullible sheep like market.

So given I may duck for cover on this for a while our small R +D team will focus on the following priority list:

1 Two channel surround based on an update of the Y2 system, I do not know of other STEREO systems that can do this in any seat in the room and we have proved that we can. I have internal pressure to work on a sound bar (yuck) but again in my humble view the market on sound bars is already saturated, hope I win this arguement!

2 The involve preamp has been progressing slowly and we are playing with the OLED display module. I really want this product myself.

3 CD4 surround for the SM, have not started yet but at least it is scheduled.

I hope the above clarifies things

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

Could you kill 2 (or more) birds with one stone and incorporate CD-4, SQ, QS (and all that jazz) into the Involve Preamp? :eek:
Thanks!

Hi Chucky,

Could you kill 2 (or more) birds with one stone and incorporate CD-4, SQ, QS (and all that jazz) into the Involve Preamp? :eek:
Thanks!

I'm sure that Chucky will point out(as he has previously) that this is all about cost. The CD-4 facility would add considerably to the cost of the Pre-amp, restricting its mainstream appeal. How many people here actually showed any interest in the concept of a CD-4 decoder, I seem to recall that Chucky struggled to find 20 across this worldwide community?!

I'm sure that Chucky will point out(as he has previously) that this is all about cost. The CD-4 facility would add considerably to the cost of the Pre-amp, restricting its mainstream appeal. How many people here actually showed any interest in the concept of a CD-4 decoder, I seem to recall that Chucky struggled to find 20 across this worldwide community?!

Fair enough, thanks.

Back