INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the new studio monitors at the show including one modeled my the lovely Dave the Bitch.

IMG_20190123_191634.jpeg

IMG_20190123_191615.jpeg

IMG_20190123_191600.jpeg

Hi All

Just got this video in from the NAMM show we did a while ago. In it we have "Dave the Bitch - Overture" being interviewed by Christina Sofina of Visionquest.

Small background story, Dave had to talk fast as we were clearing the access way to our exhibit while the interview was happening to allow Stevie Wonder to wander in with his array of minders. So Dave fluffed up one bit about cone speakers bonging for 300 milliseconds.....should have said 3 milliseconds (was also distracted by Christina).

Speaker Technology (what's old is new again):

In the mid 1970s, Philips marketed a motional feedback bookshelf speaker:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1975-08.pdfpage 40

In the early 2000s, Meridian Audio marketed a unique Speaker:
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/475/index.html
Maybe these technologies can be combined, a special Woofer designed
for motional feedback and keeping a Digital input signal Digital until the
last possible moment (crossovers, frequency and phase response corrections,
perhaps volume limiting to avoid damage the speakers could all be
done in the digital domain).

Kirk Bayne

Speaker Technology (what's old is new again):

In the mid 1970s, Philips marketed a motional feedback bookshelf speaker:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1975-08.pdfpage 40

In the early 2000s, Meridian Audio marketed a unique Speaker:
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/475/index.html
Maybe these technologies can be combined, a special Woofer designed
for motional feedback and keeping a Digital input signal Digital until the
last possible moment (crossovers, frequency and phase response corrections,
perhaps volume limiting to avoid damage the speakers could all be
done in the digital domain).

Kirk Bayne

WOW!
Just, wonderful post. Really brings me back to the hairy chested days of HiFi, when men were men! It has stuff on my old Philips GA212 turntable, my ADC VLM cartridge (Now use an XLM), my good mate Rusty's Infinity speakers......I could go on (just love the cassette decks).

Yes I really like motional feedback to!

WOW!
Just, wonderful post. Really brings me back to the hairy chested days of HiFi, when men were men! It has stuff on my old Philips GA212 turntable, my ADC VLM cartridge (Now use an XLM), my good mate Rusty's Infinity speakers......I could go on (just love the cassette decks).

Yes I really like motional feedback to!

Err meant ADC ZLM now- great cartridge!!

I was looking at getting some components for my new surround system here in China a month ago and I saw some beautiful looking speakers connected to a Chinese made tube amplifier in stereo only. I plugged in my Huawei phone and played some of my Floyd and Robin Tower at full volume. The stunning sound I heard brought tears to my eyes.
There are still some great audio gear being produced. The speakers were only about $500 US!
I will be getting some in the future

I was looking at getting some components for my new surround system here in China a month ago and I saw some beautiful looking speakers connected to a Chinese made tube amplifier in stereo only. I plugged in my Huawei phone and played some of my Floyd and Robin Tower at full volume. The stunning sound I heard brought tears to my eyes.
There are still some great audio gear being produced. The speakers were only about $500 US!
I will be getting some in the future
Do you have a name/ data sheet?

Reactions: GOS
Hi All

Just got this video in from the NAMM show we did a while ago. In it we have "Dave the Bitch - Overture" being interviewed by Christina Sofina of Visionquest.

Small background story, Dave had to talk fast as we were clearing the access way to our exhibit while the interview was happening to allow Stevie Wonder to wander in with his array of minders. So Dave fluffed up one bit about cone speakers bonging for 300 milliseconds.....should have said 3 milliseconds (was also distracted by Christina).

Dave held up well considering the rush and Christina! Ha Ha. I liked his expanation of the stereo to surround technology. Maybe give him some oxygen, then record a more detailed explanation for your website? Hearing the description(complete with hand gestures) may resonate with some people.

So @chucky3042 how are things coming along on the electrostatic monitors? (No rest for the weary!)

By the way, what kind of dispersion do these monitors yield? I see that Martin Logan with their curved panels provide 30 degrees.

Hi AR Surround
We are getting ready to start manufacture and all the final diagrams have been done. I took it to a known dealer a few weeks ago who uses our old Nakamichi Dragon Electrostatic as a reference and the new ones just sounded shit in comparison. I took it back and compared it to my Dragons at home and the same happened. I was completely confused by this. Then in desperation I moved the new speakers to the outside of the old Dragons - wow they just clobbered the dragons in precise imaging and about the same elsewhere. Same at the shop the new ones were on the inside.

After a bundle of experiments I found that they just need to be wider. The effect is strange and really not subtle, go figure. So now I am convinced all is well and ready. Next issue is production funds raising, I spend my life doing that.

Re dispersion that's a really tough topic. Not wishing to dump a load of poo on Logans (but I will anyhow) they base their panel on the curve idea- that somehow the curve improves dispersion, just like the myth that a curved dome tweeter is supposed to improve dispersion. This is completely wrong. Any linear driver is a piston that moved as one in a straight line it is not a pulsating sphere where the external diameter modulated its length, Mylar is very rigid in terms of not being elastic. For it to actually move within the curved stators it would need to buckle and become non linear. In short this limits the excursion maximum amplitude and therefor bottom end crossover frequency. This is why Logan's typically have high cross over frequencies between 450 - 800 Hz - this then often created a bad top /bottom effect of treble up top and bass down below.

The curved panel only created visual psychological dispersion and looks pretty. Its a marketing gimmick at best. I proved this at home myself as I once owned a set of Logan Summits which are similar size and proportion to the Naka Dragons. When ever I instant A/ B tested them for dispersion the dragon would seriously win with the image always going whoops to one side when I put the Logans on. This is not to say the dispersion on the Dragons was great- it was not but way better than the Logans. The Dragons used a narrow higher sensitivity 35 mm wide strip emitter in the middle to improve dispersion. remember wide pane = beaming, narrow panel = wide dispersion.

Now the new reference electrostatic. It is really revolutionary in dispersion for 2 reasons

1 It has a virtual flat frequency response at all angles around it.....even sideways

2 It has a progressive frequency related variable width emitter that has a different width with respect to frequency- that has been E/Q ed.

The net result is a dispersion that's 70% as good to the frontal listener as a cone speaker and way superior on the sides and rear.

Dunno what bullshit dispersion angle to claim - and yes we will eventually do some polar plots, but hell using the ears it really is amazing dispersion - in a completely different league to the Logan's. Really being impartial on this.

Now you got me started.........................

Last edited:
We are getting ready to start manufacture and all the final diagrams have been done.

Hi Charles,
Do you have a spec sheet for the monitor as of yet? I saw in an earlier post that it is an active speaker powered by two 100 Watt amps...one to power the diaphragm and one for the woofers, I assume. That's a bit confusing to me because the photo of the back of the speaker in post #281 shows what appears to be standard banana plug connections rather than RCA connections. (Or am I just bloody clueless?) It looks like subwoofers will also be required to get response down to ca. 25-28Hz? What about speaker stands? So perhaps an expensive proposition for a 5.2 system.

@J. PUPSTER any thoughts since you also seem interested in the electrostatic route to audio nirvana?

Hi AR Surround

I have attached the current brochure for the KAIDA electrostatic. You are right that a separate 100 W are used for the panel and the dual 8 inch woofers. The rear is still a bit up in the air . probably will have RCA, XLR and speaker in bananas. The units seriously do not need subs as they are really flat down to 25 Hz (unlike most subs) so it does not need/ want the .2 garbage.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• Involve Audio_Kaida ESL675-8 Spec Sheet_V1.1-compressed.pdf
    573.3 KB · Views: 177
Greetings all

Happy to say we received the prototype new Y4 boards on friday and we have already started to power them up. Please note that its missing the 8 electrostatic transformers but you get the idea. Oh in terms of total class D amplification there is available 1170 Watts of peak power in all the amplifiers into a 2 Ohm load!!!!

It will be ready in the new year

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_124448.jpg
    IMG_20191129_124448.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20191129_124500.jpg
    IMG_20191129_124500.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20191129_124529.jpg
    IMG_20191129_124529.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 210
Dear All

Happy to report that Dave the Bitch has got all the digital poo and software talking and the new Y4 surround system is fully functional. Next we will install the 8 electrostatic transformers and the HV bias transformer and box the thing. Only a few minor stuff ups both electronic and mechanical. Its getting corrected this week before we head out for 2.5 weeks Xmas holiday (we take a long break in Australia as we actually have sunshine between the fires). The thing is sounding really nice and just love the total of 1200 Watts into 2 ohms of amplification!

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_144855c.jpg
    IMG_20191217_144855c.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20191217_144911c.jpg
    IMG_20191217_144911c.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 209
Little Chucky here

The great and powerful Bitch has now fully cobbled together the new Y4 and we get a glorious noise out of it. Just waiting on new mechanical's and for the Chinese to get over their new year and deliver the first pilot run (already sold out).

Attachments

• 20200116_141907-min.jpg
    20200116_141907-min.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200116_141838-min.jpg
    20200116_141838-min.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 191
Back