IQ Scrape Across the Sky

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugene

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I have watched a good portion of this and the surround sound is very good but has anyone have experienced many drops in the sound?:mad:

For those that don't know (like me), is this a music disc or a movie? I've not heard of it. :)

It's a movie concert on Blu-Ray

scrapeblucover.jpg

I have watched a good portion of this and the surround sound is very good but has anyone have experienced many drops in the sound?:mad:
I have ordered this, should be here next week, will let you know.

Looking to get this at some point, what are the sound options available on this?

Playback Region B/2 :This will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. Learn more about Blu-ray region specifications

https://youtu.be/-d7G0hmCuO0

This arrived this morning, I have just put it on now.

Dolby digital!!

Oh dear, that is bad. How some Blu-rays still have lossy audio is a joke really. :mad:

Is there not even a PCM stereo track or is that Dolby Digital too?

Oh dear, that is bad. How some Blu-rays still have lossy audio is a joke really. :mad:

Is there not even a PCM stereo track or is that Dolby Digital too?

There is a PCM stereo track that you can also hear with all the projections in the extras, and unlike the surround sound, there is no drops in the sound.

I was not familiar with the band prior to recently having seen them at the Summer Fog Festival. They were so good that I immediately searched their merch stall for surround releases. I somehow missed the DVD of Ever and will need to catch up on this, but I grabbed the concert blu-ray. The mix is very good and pretty active by concert standards. This release should be on the radar of anyone with at least a peripheral interest in prog rock. We should very much have a poll on this one. A 9+ from me.

Pity about the dolby digital, but I didn't even notice this prior to reading the thread, i.e. the sound quality seems acceptable. I didn't experience any drops in sound as reported earlier by @rugene

I was not familiar with the band prior to recently having seen them at the Summer Fog Festival. They were so good that I immediately searched their merch stall for surround releases. I somehow missed the DVD of Ever and will need to catch up on this, but I grabbed the concert blu-ray. The mix is very good and pretty active by concert standards. This release should be on the radar of anyone with at least a peripheral interest in prog rock. We should very much have a poll on this one. A 9+ from me.

Pity about the dolby digital, but I didn't even notice this prior to reading the thread, i.e. the sound quality seems acceptable. I didn't experience any drops in sound as reported earlier by @rugene
Since 2017, I have purchased a new Blu-Ray Player, so the drop of sound is not present anymore...

I have just watched for the first time.

Drops in sound. I experienced these. It happens a few times that the sound goes a bit quiet. Never had this problem on other BDs. Anyway, the disc is really good and the very few technical problems did not spoil my enjoyment.

Dolby Digital. I agree that it is not a problem. The sound is not mind-blowing, but it is very good. If I had been told it was DTS I would not have guessed it's actually DD,

The mix is very good. The keyboards move from speaker to speaker whenever the keyboard sound changes, so if in the space of 60 seconds they play 'piano', 'moog' and 'synth' (or whatever), the sound comes out of 3 different speakers. The same is true of the guitars - there's only 1 guitar (just as there is only 1 keyboard player) but it can be front centre, front left, rear left or rear right. The keyboards are quite often in two speakers at once - hey, the guy's got two hands, he's playing two keyboards, why wouldn't you put that out of 2 different speakers? This is definitely NOT a 'set and forget' mix. Heck, there's even a very small theremin part which pans around the room! Vocals are front centre, but occasionally echo round the room. Drums are the usual up front with a lot of reverb and the very side bits of kit being nearer the back.

The video. A typical concert film - which is good. It basically shows the guys with no fuss, but has enough angle changes to stop it being boring. There is an option to watch just the tour visuals, but that is stereo only. Though I guess using MMH you could rip the 5.1 soundtrack and replace the stereo-only audio. (Not tried that myself.)

The music
. They might hate me for saying this, but it is very reminiscent of early Genesis. Yes, it's the slightly more 'metal' sound of 80s nu-prog, but the guitar sound and use of pedals (by the guitarist and bass player) is very classic Genesis. The concert lasts nearly 2 hours and as an extra you get the encore. 'Only' two songs, which of course in prog money means you get an extra 20 minutes of music, also mixed in 5.1.

If you like the music, do not let DD and 'live mix' put you off - the usual problems do not apply here. It's a bargain, available on the band's website. It's a crime that no mixing credit is given, but the guitarist, Michael Holmes, produced it and he mixed their other 5.1 release (Ever) so I'd assume it's him.

Back