• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Isn't poll voting odd?

rikpepe

Reaction score
Bob Marley was never my cup of tea (too)- repetitive and redundant <skip> repetitive and redundant <skip> repetitive and redundant (see also derivative "I shot the Sheriff") OK music for swilling beer on the beach - I get sleepy at the 2nd refrain - Frankly.
Speaking of ethnically diverse music any else here or hear or heard
the 5.1 release of "White Lines" by Melle Mel and the Furious Five ?

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I grew up reading music/movie reviews religiously. Sometimes the 'critic' was right on and other times I disagreed with their assessment but all in all, everyone has a distinct right to their own opinions. I have tons of classical music in every conceivable format but have realized that unless you're a musician, a musicologist or are adept at reading music, what endears me to the piece is my reaction, positive or negative to the piece.

I also LOVE melody. A lot of music, especially country, has that worn out feeling. It's been done to death. Unless a piece stands apart from the crowd......I try to avoid it.

Rock music, IMO, had a more challenging aspect to it in the 60's and 70's. It was, IMO, a golden age when melody flourished, the concept album was born and musicians were inspired by the muses which informed them. I'm sure there is a wealth of new music available today but as I don't avail myself of radio or watch video's anymore [who does?], I profess ignorance.

I watch a lot of those late night shows and when they highligh a particular artist ........ I watch ... and listen ..... but have hardly been moved in the last few years to say ..... WOW ..... brilliant! Is it just that I'm jaded or is it possibly that the acts got smaller.

After all, Billy Joel,Elton John and most iconic rock bands of that 60/70's time frame are just coasting along on the hits which made them famous decades ago. So, really, it's all about that MUSE. Once it abandons the artist ........ it's either time to retire or reinvent oneself ....... and as we all know .... NOT an easy task.

Frogmort

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Bob Marley was never my cup of tea (too)- repetitive and redundant <skip> repetitive and redundant <skip> repetitive and redundant (see also derivative "I shot the Sheriff") OK music for swilling beer on the beach - I get sleepy at the 2nd refrain - Frankly.
See, to me that's one of the best things about the polls on here and how willy-nilly they are. My bread n' butter is hard-core old-school prog. Rush, Crimson, Yes, Zappa, Beck (Jeff), etc, but I still really appreciate the more simple things, like The Beatles, or Bob Marley.

A lot of pop music has the beat on 1 & 3, and reggae flips that around and puts the beats on 2 & 4. I freakin' love that bouncy buoyancy. I see Bob Marley as very anthematic pop/folk music, and I just love it!

By the way, you do realize that Clapton ripped off Marley on 'I Shot the Sheriff', right?

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Marley wrote "I Shot the Sheriff". The Clapton version was a cover. Of course you know that, right?

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I quote myself

9/10 votes are pretty common on QQ.

So are posts where people say, "I wasn't familiar with this album before, but this surround mix is excellent!!'

Coincidence?:unsure:

rikpepe

Reaction score
Marley wrote "I Shot the Sheriff". The Clapton version was a cover. Of course you know that, right?
of course i am more of western euro-asia music from rock to classical. That is Floyd Renaissance elp yes tull caravan to Jarre to Kreaftwerk to Triumverat to Yello to Banco del mutuo soccorso to Vangelis (earth to 666 to mythodea) to Bach to Beethoven to the great Russians aka Rimsky-Korsekov. That is why ol bob never floated my boat. I really did love his son Rohan.

rikpepe

Reaction score
I grew up reading music/movie reviews religiously. Sometimes the 'critic' was right on and other times I disagreed with their assessment but all in all, everyone has a distinct right to their own opinions. I have tons of classical music in every conceivable format but have realized that unless you're a musician, a musicologist or are adept at reading music, what endears me to the piece is my reaction, positive or negative to the piece.

I also LOVE melody. A lot of music, especially country, has that worn out feeling. It's been done to death. Unless a piece stands apart from the crowd......I try to avoid it.

Rock music, IMO, had a more challenging aspect to it in the 60's and 70's. It was, IMO, a golden age when melody flourished, the concept album was born and musicians were inspired by the muses which informed them. I'm sure there is a wealth of new music available today but as I don't avail myself of radio or watch video's anymore [who does?], I profess ignorance.

I watch a lot of those late night shows and when they highligh a particular artist ........ I watch ... and listen ..... but have hardly been moved in the last few years to say ..... WOW ..... brilliant! Is it just that I'm jaded or is it possibly that the acts got smaller.

After all, Billy Joel,Elton John and most iconic rock bands of that 60/70's time frame are just coasting along on the hits which made them famous decades ago. So, really, it's all about that MUSE. Once it abandons the artist ........ it's either time to retire or reinvent oneself ....... and as we all know .... NOT an easy task.

Very true but a few kept trying like a a posthumous symphony by Keith Emerson came out -Nov 2.

~dave~~wave~

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
The polls are BS really. You are voting for the mix and the content. I think these are 2 separate "issues". But it is the only system we have.
Read the poll today - I just shake my head in disbelief. Proof enough of the end of civilization as we know it. I guess there will always be an outlier. But at the top? Really? Just because of the first minute of golly-gee? I'm going back to my rocking chair and cranking King Crimson and something else I can't tell you about - yet.
Might want to check the latest update.
Order has been restored temporarily over irrational exuberance. ;)

HDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I used to vote based on familiarity of previously owning a title, was this new 5.1 better than I've ever heard it sound before, and my votes were skewed towards the high side. When I listened and compared against other mixes I started being more analytical with my votes more nit picky.
It will shock me momentarily when a what I consider a marginal sounding release is at the top because you only need 10 votes to get on the polls.🤯 (Moving it to 25 might balance it better but would eliminate most of the DV releases I'm sure they sell enough but not garnering votes)
Maybe if your favorite disc is only a couple votes from getting on the poll it might motivate voting. I have plenty I've not voted on yet for one reason or another but will not vote for a disc I don't like (Sea Change besides others, I've then sold) I think 6-7 would be my low end vote anyways, if it's not top *3* I wouldn't recommend it but that's my take on it. Hell I've un voted on titles I no longer own not wanting to be hypocritical. I'm sure we have some of those which I hope is a small percentage. Members voting on titles they don't even own to skew the results. Right now it's a system that works if it's got over 100 votes and it's near the top of the heap then it's as accurate as I think it can be.
.images.jpeg
Going to 25 would remove 197 titles, besides lower numbers also low scores and I only own one and it's marginal Alice in Chains Best Of/greatest hits whatever, not very memorable( I haven't voted on it, good songs bad fidelity and mix).

Last edited:

albertop

Reaction score
In my opinion, the problem with poll voting is that we don't have well-defined rubrics and assessment criteria to be able to vote with method and consistency.
We are supposed to express our opinion on music, fidelity and mix, but that's not enough to be able to identify what distinguishes a 6 from a 10, or to understand what's the threshold for sufficiency (or decency).
I've recently purchased Rush/Moving Pictures based on the poll results, and I found the mix extremely disappointing. If poll are used as purchasing new surround releases, then they are not working that well. The way I read them: don't buy anything below 9, which is odd.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Reaction score
The way I read them: don't buy anything below 9, which is odd.
Content. If you know and like an album, someone else who’s not familiar may vote a 7 or 8 where you would give a 9 (or 10).

Maybe Rush is just not an Aussie thing. I wasn’t familiar with any albums but I bought at least 3 Rush albums in MCH and I didn’t get into any of them. They never get played here. Waste of plastic for me.

They polls are a great guide but I’ve learnt to listen to music from an album online BEFORE buying a surround release if I’m not familiar with the artist or the album.

albertop

Reaction score
Content. If you know and like an album, someone else who’s not familiar may vote a 7 or 8 where you would give a 9 (or 10).

Maybe Rush is just not an Aussie thing. I wasn’t familiar with any albums but I bought at least 3 Rush albums in MCH and I didn’t get into any of them. They never get played here. Waste of plastic for me.

They polls are a great guide but I’ve learnt to listen to music from an album online BEFORE buying a surround release if I’m not familiar with the artist or the album.
I think you are totally right, and you are supporting my point that we should probably review our marking criteria...
In my opinion, mix and fidelity should be more important than music/content for the polls. If not, the ranking becomes pretty obvious, with The Beatles, Pink Floyd and a few others in the top 10.
I also believe that we should provide a rubric, or a marking guide.. such as 6 means x,y,z.. 7 means x,y,z... and so forth. If one votes 9 should also be able to state what's missing to get a 10, and stuff like that. I'm not trying to make everything more objective, I cannot be, but it would probably help moderate the marking.

Another issue is aging. Some of these votes needs to be updated as soon as new releases come out and make previous releases outdated. King Crimson's 40th anniversary is a clear example of a surround mix that was ok 10 years ago and can now be filed, at least in my opinion.