Issues with Sony 4k Blu Ray player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Buy emailed me today to say the service center approved an exchange of the device! I just got back from the store and have a brand new X800 in box in my car. Can't wait to set it up!

After all the rigamarole Best Buy/SONY put you through .... justice was served. Hopefully, it'll bring you nothing but unabated pleasure, Strilo!

Just updated the firmware on my Sony UBP-X800 today. Had hopes that Sony would show some consideration and fix the "playing of burnt DVD-Audio disc" ban they decide to put in place. No such luck.

Just updated the firmware on my Sony UBP-X800 today. Had hopes that Sony would show some consideration and fix the "playing of burnt DVD-Audio disc" ban they decide to put in place. No such luck.

Rip your burnt DVD-A discs to FLAC (30 day free trial) and put the files onto a USB drive. They work perfectly on my X800's.

I've just got the replacement Dark Side Of the Moon Blu-ray and I find that the Sony UBP-X800 won't play the Quad version, well it plays it but nothing from the rears, just the fronts.
The amp (Denon) shows 4 channels in and 4 out but there's no sound out of the rears. 5.1 plays fine. My Oppo plays the disc as expected.

Edit: I've just tried the DVD and the results are the same, I thought the DVD played OK the last time I tried it.

Last edited:
Good luck with the replacement unit!

Reading about the Sony UBP-X800's problems, I'm glad I could purchase Oppo: first a BDP-93 and a UHD-203 last year. The 93 could get quirky now and then with disc playback, but a reboot always solved the issue. The 203 has been golden since purchased. I know the Oppos were pricier than other players, but I personally think they were worth it.

Rip your burnt DVD-A discs to FLAC (30 day free trial) and put the files onto a USB drive. They work perfectly on my X800's.

Don’t really need an X800 (or any disc player) to play FLACs perfectly, do you? (Well, except for the gapless thing...) Most any AVR with a USB port will play them too, won’t they?

Don’t really need an X800 (or any disc player) to play FLACs perfectly, do you? (Well, except for the gapless thing...) Most any AVR with a USB port will play them too, won’t they?
Most any AVR will play stereo FLAC. I haven't heard of any that will play MCH FLAC. But even low end disk players seem to be capable of MCH FLAC.

Strange...

Most any AVR will play stereo FLAC. I haven't heard of any that will play MCH FLAC. But even low end disk players seem to be capable of MCH FLAC.

Strange...
Hmmm. I’ll have to check my Yamaha again. I don’t play FLAC from USB often, but I thought I played it from the AVR. Maybe it was through the BD player though?

I find the X800 easier to navigate through the folders and subfolders than my Onkyo interface. As I understand it the X800 justs sends the bitstream to the AVR for decoding. I know it does with .dsf files. I assume the Onkyo decodes the FLAC files as well not the X800.

My only complaint is that the X800 will not display cover art.

Last edited:
Sony made good video equipment and was tops in the field until the advent of the lcd tv.
They have lost the position long ago, and I have had experience with my sacd player that refused to see the sacd layer.
That is when I went to Oppo. You can still get one maybe gently used but they hold up and the support is well worth investment. I will never own another player. Due only to reliability and support.

I had not been a Sony fan in the past and I still have an Oppo BDP-80 that served me well for years, however I know that the X800 will play my stereo and multichannel FLAC rips from DVD-A and all .dsf files ripped from my SA-CD collection effortlessly (although not displaying the folder.jpeg as album art). Blu rays look outstanding on my Epson projected 110" screen and I am pleasantly surprised how good DVD's look at that size. It will stream 4K video without hiccupping and USB file navigation is very fast even on a 2TB drive. For an equivalent of $160 USD I am very pleased. It has had a couple of tantrums with updates and one isolated disc in the past, but now the only nuisance I get is that every couple of weeks I get a notification at the top of the home screen to 'update services' which goes away if I open Youtube and then exit. For a digital frontend that will jump from FLAC to .dsf to .wav to DTS to AC3 without gasping it's great. This Sony model is a hit with me.

Back