It was Fifty Years Ago Today, Monty Python Taught Us How To Play

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this brings back memories as a teenager, in an era that if you weren't in front of the TV at certain time, you missed the show! For some reason the "I've come for an argument" joke never got tied. I played it on record over an over again. How many of you bought their "3 sided record" comedy album?

From Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python
Quote:
"In the summer of 1974, Ron Devillier, the programme director for nonprofit PBS television station KERA in Dallas, Texas, started airing episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus. Ratings shot through the roof, providing an encouraging sign to the other 100 PBS stations that had signed up to begin airing the show in October 1974—exactly five years after their BBC debut. There was also cross-promotion from FM radio stations across the US, whose airing of tracks from the Python LPs had already introduced American audiences to this bizarre brand of comedy. The popularity on PBS resulted in the 1974 re-release of the 1972 ...Completely Different film, with much greater box office success. The success of the show was captured by a March 1975 article headline in the New York Times, “Monty Python's Flying Circus Is Barnstorming Here”.[51] Asked what challenges were left, now that they had made TV shows, films, written books, and produced records, Chapman responded, “Well, actually world supremacy would be very nice”, before Idle cautioned, “Yes, but that sort of thing has got to be done properly”.[51]
The ability to show Monty Python's Flying Circus under the American NTSC standard had been made possible by the commercial actions of American television producer Greg Garrison. Garrison produced the NBC series The Dean Martin Comedy World, which ran during the summer of 1974. The concept was to show clips from comedy shows produced in other countries, including tape of the Python sketches "Bicycle Repairman" and "The Dull Life of a Stockbroker". Payment for use of these two sketches was enough to allow Time-Life Films to convert the entire Python library to NTSC standard, allowing for the sale to the PBS network stations which then brought the entire show to US audiences."

Britain's answer to Firesign Theater? (Firesign Theatre?). My area was very late in getting any of the Monties on television, but it certainly started a fad.

I was partial to the "Upper Class Twit" episode, myself, but then again, I've always liked a streak of nastiness in my comedy! Still, my main group of friends were still partial to the Firesign lads, who managed to take you into their psychedelic world via stereo: what fun it has been in recent years to experience them in 5.1 !

All this brings back memories as a teenager, in an era that if you weren't in front of the TV at certain time, you missed the show! For some reason the "I've come for an argument" joke never got tied. I played it on record over an over again. How many of you bought their "3 sided record" comedy album?
The one with the double grooves on one side? I got one for Christmas my father said at Christmas dinner I'll put it, I said I wouldn't, he said why ever not and the first lines from "Sit on my face I think I love you" came out of the speakers and it was somewhat hurriedly removed from the turntable and the radio switched on! :devilish:

I can't remember the name of the sketch, but it was about and athlete named Ken. There was a line that went more or less..."the most impressive thing about Ken is that he's almost totally stupid." He's running in the street, comes up to a car, can't figure out what to do, and then runs on top of it.

A lot of the sketches from the show were in the compilation movie, And Now For Something Completely Different.

I named my sailboat the "None Shall Pass"

nsp.jpg

The band I used to be in was called Michael Ellis, how's that for a nerdy Python reference?

Favourite sketch is impossible, but I love the ex-Nazi officers in exile in an English B&B, love the déjà-vu sketch, and the Upper Class Twit of the Year competition, just off the top of my head. My son laughs himself silly over it even though he'd only 7 and doesn't speak english.

Britain's answer to Firesign Theater? (Firesign Theatre?). My area was very late in getting any of the Monties on television, but it certainly started a fad.

I was partial to the "Upper Class Twit" episode, myself, but then again, I've always liked a streak of nastiness in my comedy! Still, my main group of friends were still partial to the Firesign lads, who managed to take you into their psychedelic world via stereo: what fun it has been in recent years to experience them in 5.1 !
Very interesting to bring up Firesign Theater. Monty Python was so British, and Firesign was so stoner, that I never really compared them to each other. Now I see that most anyone who likes one will like the other because of similarities.

I think I discovered Firesign first. And checking I see Waiting for the Electrician was released an approx year before the Pyhons had their 1st TV spisode. Then also Proctor & Bergman seemed to have loved listening to the Goon Show so there was that influence on their future.
The mind boggles had there been collaboration between the two. Monty Python Appearing at the Firesign Theater!

Right now I gotta help Porcelain make the bed.

Very interesting to bring up Firesign Theater. Monty Python was so British, and Firesign was so stoner, that I never really compared them to each other. Now I see that most anyone who likes one will like the other because of similarities.

I think I discovered Firesign first. And checking I see Waiting for the Electrician was released an approx year before the Pyhons had their 1st TV spisode. Then also Proctor & Bergman seemed to have loved listening to the Goon Show so there was that influence on their future.
The mind boggles had there been collaboration between the two. Monty Python Appearing at the Firesign Theater!

Right now I gotta help Porcelain make the bed.
There's a Firesign Theater title in surround here
- Or are there just Dwarfs getting in the way of my Nicky Nick Nick!!! A fav. listen in High School and in another plane of consciousness!

Here's a classic Firesign Theater in surround, as well as a live tour in 5.1 (the 25th, that I was fortunate enough to catch in Berkeley, and can identify my cry from the audience 8')):

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-D...3630&sprefix=firesign+theater+,aps,172&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Firesign-The...3699&sprefix=firesign+theater+,aps,172&sr=8-6
Oh, and a later album on DVD 5.1:

https://www.amazon.com/Firesign-The...esign+theater+dvd&qid=1570494809&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Shame we're down to one member, now :cry:. Think we could talk Dutton into doing the We're All Bozos quad? Were there any more?

Sorry to hijack the Monty thread. We're no fun, we fell right over. . . .

Last edited:
Here's a classic Firesign Theater in surround, as well as a live tour in 5.1 (the 25th, that I was fortunate enough to catch in Berkeley, and can identify my cry from the audience 8')):

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-D...3630&sprefix=firesign+theater+,aps,172&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Firesign-The...3699&sprefix=firesign+theater+,aps,172&sr=8-6
Oh, and a later album on DVD 5.1:

https://www.amazon.com/Firesign-The...esign+theater+dvd&qid=1570494809&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Shame we're down to one member, now :cry:. Think we could talk Dutton into doing the We're All Bozos quad? Were there any more?

Sorry to hijack the Monty thread. We're no fun, we fell right over. . . .
It's just a flesh wound!
Loving every bit.

Back