Jackson 5 Quadraphonic mix Stereo fold down LP coming Oct 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter

https://ume.lnk.to/J5GreatestHitsQuadFp
"The original release of the Jackson 5’s Greatest HitsLP in 1971 was cause for celebration, as it encapsulated an extraordinary 18-month strings of back-to-back-to-back-back-etc. hits and was itself a hit souvenir of Jacksonmania. It featured eight smash records, led by the group’s phenomenal Motown debut, “I Want You Back,” plus two immensely popular B-sides – “I Found That Girl” and “Who’s Lovin’ You” – and something new: “Sugar Daddy,” a just-dropped single which went top 10 pop and no. 3 R&B; it was then not available on any other J5 LP.

This LP reissue is something new again: it features the rare quadrophonic mixes, originally released in Japan only in 1975. These mixes used alternate vocals and sometimes emphasized instrumentation not heard in the J5 singles or LP and as a result these versions are much sought-after. As within this edition these mixes are the stereo folds, consumers do *not need a special decoder or four speakers to enjoy the music."

https://ume.lnk.to/J5GreatestHitsQuadFp
"The original release of the Jackson 5’s Greatest HitsLP in 1971 was cause for celebration, as it encapsulated an extraordinary 18-month strings of back-to-back-to-back-back-etc. hits and was itself a hit souvenir of Jacksonmania. It featured eight smash records, led by the group’s phenomenal Motown debut, “I Want You Back,” plus two immensely popular B-sides – “I Found That Girl” and “Who’s Lovin’ You” – and something new: “Sugar Daddy,” a just-dropped single which went top 10 pop and no. 3 R&B; it was then not available on any other J5 LP.

This LP reissue is something new again: it features the rare quadrophonic mixes, originally released in Japan only in 1975. These mixes used alternate vocals and sometimes emphasized instrumentation not heard in the J5 singles or LP and as a result these versions are much sought-after. As within this edition these mixes are the stereo folds, consumers do *not need a special decoder or four speakers to enjoy the music."

Will there be an alternative non~vinyl reissue for those of us who do not have Turntables in our systems, Adam? Would be spectacular sounding as a BD~A or mch SACD [hint: D~V].

Great news that the masters have been located...but this is their best idea for what to do with them? :rolleyes:

yeah its not necessarily the best outcome for us here at QQ.. but thank God we know for sure the Quad masters are held in the vault!! 🎉

bodes well for the status of the rest of the Motown Quads and makes me think that Diana Ross "Last Time I Saw Him" Quad folddown maybe wasn't just a one-off after all 🥳

as our man RT would say "hope springs eternal"..!! maybe someday the Motown Quads will escape the vault in all their multichannel glory!!🤞 👍 🤩

no idea Ralph, just passing the news along 👍

DUH, the JACKSON 5 should be in 5.0 not STEREO.......or stunning Dutton Vocalion 4.0 with the l/r fronts forming the phantom Michael Jackson:dance center!

See the source image

Front and Center .....the uber talented Michael J.

Last edited:
Remember when a forum member got one on eBay for $900+ after a ferocious bidding war? There are probably threads about it buried in the forum bowels.
What a waste doing a fold down. Where's the SACD? Where's the BluRay? Where's the CD-4?

Remember when a forum member got one on eBay for $900+ after a ferocious bidding war? There are probably threads about it buried in the forum bowels.
What a waste doing a fold down. Where's the SACD? Where's the BluRay? Where's the CD-4?

Jon, with the marvelous, MUST SEE, Hitsville: The Making of Motown documentary currently being shown on SHOWTIME, what better time than to celebrate the music of Motown in Glorious SURROUND. Apparently, they've located the QUAD masters and to create FOLD~DOWNS and release them in White and black Vinyl [?] is STUPIDITY PERSONIFIED.....and a real slap in the face to the QUAD/5.1/ATMOS renaissance currently somewhat in vogue!

hitsville: the making of motown trailer by mayo movie world

Last edited:
Jon, with the marvelous, MUST SEE, Hitsville: The Making of Motown documentary currently being shown on SHOWTIME, what better time than to celebrate the music of Motown in Glorious SURROUND. Apparently, they've located the QUAD masters and to create FOLD~DOWNS and release them in White and black Vinyl [?] is STIPIDITY PERSONIFIED.....and a real slap in the face to the QUAD/5.1/ATMOS renaissance currently somewhat in vogue!

they did the dumb and dirty already, donks ago with the Expanded "Last Time I Saw Him".. whaddyaknow a Quad folddown! oh the indignity of it!!
(fortunately i now have the Quad LP of that one too -- and it ROCKS in 4-channel, so Universal can go frig themselves - but at the time? positively grief stricken! 🤣

Jon, with the marvelous, MUST SEE, Hitsville: The Making of Motown documentary currently being shown on SHOWTIME, what better time than to celebrate the music of Motown in Glorious SURROUND. Apparently, they've located the QUAD masters and to create FOLD~DOWNS and release them in White and black Vinyl [?] is STUPIDITY PERSONIFIED.....and a real slap in the face to the QUAD/5.1/ATMOS renaissance currently somewhat in vogue!

Even without seeing the Hitsville Documentary I know that nobody tells Mr. Gordy what to do after meeting him in 1969. Took a visit to the Studio with my politician StepFather and his friend (mob) I had to be respectful and appreciative of the pile of promotional LP's he gave me. I at the time was into AOR Led Zep, Sabbath and other FM mainstays, gave most of those to my younger sisters and cousins. I can imagine what some of those artists sound like in quad after owning the quadio of Aretha and would definitely buy all available.

I just finished listening to my conversion and man is it immersive. I could hear individual instruments and singers in each channel. If you turn off one channel it becomes like the old music minus one albums. I listened to it with my rear speakers to the sides and a bit behind me as opposed to the classic 4 in the corner set up I prefer as my apartment layout won't allow it. It could be distracting with the latter set up. It felt like I was on stage in front of Michael and the band around me. I hope Universal or whoever has the 4 channel tapes chooses to release them on a modern format, even if it is in a box set. I wonder if Victor in Japan can release it as they did with the CD4 LP. My only problems are that the album is too short for the pleasure I got from it and my conversion has a couple missed clicks still in it. There are a few songs I would not have known about if it weren't for the inclusion on this album. Not bad songs, just not the ones I would have remembered from radio or my old singles.

Back