Dual Disc Jane's Addiction- Strays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could swear I looked at this dualdisc in a Best Buy when it first came out, but didn't see any indication of surroud on it so I passed. If I'd have known it was surround, I would have bought it without hesitation.

Another one slips away along with the Cardigans and Scorpions :( .

This should turn up at one's used CD store eventually. That's the problem with "dualdisc," the mislabeling. I have a few titles that say one thing, but are another. And there is no consistency of what's even on them, video's, Lossless, Dolby?

Hey Reid- I saw Jane's 3 times I believe. Saw them in December '88 right after Nothing's Shocking came out. Smuggled a 35mm camera in and got some cool shots. I was also as the notorious "riot" show in a theatre in Philly in '90. Perry got pissed off because the venue wouldn't allow any standing in the front. After 45 minutes he yelled "You guys need an enema up your asses!" (at the crowd or the security- not sure) then promptly walked off the stage with rest of the band never to return. The crowd spilled out into the streets and went nuts. There were a bunch of people over at the band's tour bus trying to overturn it. They called in something like 50 police units to disperse the crowds. I'll never forget that one!

Rick

LOL, two great stories there. Yes, Jane's are awesome live, I hope their new album even though it's not with Eric returns them to what they were doing on Ritual, exploring songs and not being confined to 3~4 minute tunes.

I think Sony were the biggest problem with DualDiscs, all that work on surround for SACD then they start releasing DualDiscs with 16/48 PCM "Enhanced Stereo"? What a load of bullshit.

....................I think Sony were the biggest problem with DualDiscs, all that work on surround for SACD then they start releasing DualDiscs with 16/48 PCM "Enhanced Stereo"? What a load of bullshit.

They already had the PERFECT DUAL DISC (the SACD). They were morons

I found another dualdisc with DVD-Audio 5.1 mix of entire album. As far as I know, not listed anywhere as DVD-A 5.1.
The CD + DVD 2 disc version has a dolby digital 5.1 mix of entire album.

Here is a small scan of front cover, can you guess what it is?
snippet.jpg

vinylguy4

Not a clue. Is it a test market only DD?

Yep, it is Fischerspooner #1.
Test market dualdisc, so seems to be a bit hard to find. The 2 disc cd/dvd combo is easier and is not expensive.
Decent surround mix.
Genre is electronic dance music.

Also, some misc info on these test marked dualdiscs.
Andrew W.K - The Wolf is DVD-A Stereo
P.O.D. - Payable On Death is DVD-A Stereo
still looking for the Audioslave dualdisc but reports that it is 20/48 stereo.

vinylguy4

Last edited:
Yep, it is Fischerspooner #1.
Test market dualdisc, so seems to be a bit hard to find. The 2 disc cd/dvd combo is easier and is not expensive.
Decent surround mix.
Genre is electronic dance music.

Ah, Fischerspooner. This was the height of the Williamsburg, Brooklyn "electroclash" scene of the mid part of the last decade, a genre that's pretty much long dead and of which the only survivor is probably Peaches.

Fischerspooner was more of a performance art thing, with visuals and modern dance accompanying the music. In 2D, they weren't as impressive for sure, although "Emerge" was a kick-ass song.

If they couldn't pull a solid surround mix out of that album, though, then they weren't even trying. That album would bleed "potential" to me.

Woke up this morning to an e-mail from eBay stating one had been listed. It was a BIN and already gone. Anyone here?

I got the same email notification and was too late as well. Somebody is happy... If it was anyone here, they ought to send to KH to, ahem, review it...

I'm not so sure. The UPC is right but it states "CD + DVD". And we know how people use Ebay's UPC's for the wrong items. I'd be surprised it really was the Dual-disc.

Rick

My search is "jane's addiction strays dualdisc" in all categories. If I ever do manage to get a copy I'll put it out there. Hopefully others are thinking the same way so we can all get a chance to hear this some day.

Sorry to bring bad news, but the auction mentioned was for the CD+DVD version actually. I've asked the seller (and I know how to ask). Blame it on the eBay's Pre-Fill Item Information - again.

My search is "jane's addiction strays dualdisc" in all categories. If I ever do manage to get a copy I'll put it out there. Hopefully others are thinking the same way so we can all get a chance to hear this some day.

Yeah my notification came in as well, eventually. Refine your search to "addiction strays dual*", that way you'll have a better chance of catching all listings. People may spell "Jane's" without the apostrophe, for instance.

And kudos to you for putting it out there if you get it - I'd do the very same thing.

There were a couple of people here who got it based on comments earlier in this thread, perhaps they could make it available to those of us who are still looking for it? I'd be willing to trade for it and I'll make it available.

Back