• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH [DTS DVD]

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 reissue of the classic 1979 album from Jethro Tull entitled "Stormwatch".
This 40th anniversary reissue contains the original album remixed in stereo and 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson along with an entire bonus disc of extra recordings from that period also remixed in stereo and 5.1 surround.

(y):) (n)

The56Kid

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Bought this just to complete the Wilson remix series in my collection, but I'm really enjoying it. It features a very warm and immersive surround mix that's very crankable. The clarity and fidelity throughout is superlative and provide further evidence that a lossy surround experience doesn't have to be a bad one.

Like GOS, I don't usually pay a ton of attention to the extras found in these fantastic releases, but I'm really hooked on the Associated Recordings found on DVD 2 of this one. They all sound fantastic, but the previously unreleased tracks especially shine:

The intro to Dark Ages (Early Version) sounds incredible and envelopes the entire listening space. A Single Man is a great instrumental track that commences with a beautiful piano intro in the mains before a beyond physically tangible bass arrives in the front stage with a cleanly strummed acoustic in the right rear. Simply fantastic! Orion (Full Version) starts with a very ominous segment featuring creepy keys in the rears with kicking drums in the mains before the full band sound arrives. Throughout the 9 minute songs, various instruments move in and out of the rear sound space creating a fantastic musical meld. Urban Apocalypse starts with piano and flute in the mains before the song takes full flight with flutes and vocals in the rears. Wilson fills the entire listening space with a full bodied warm surround mix. Man of God begins with beautiful acoustic guitar harmonics in the rears before piano and bass join hi hat chicks in the mains. Yet again, another great surround mix by Wilson on a song that wouldn't sound out of place on Aqualung. It really rocks! Rock Instrumental (Unfinished Master) rounds out the unreleased numbers in great fashion with another beautifully warm enveloping mix. Wilson seems more adventurous than normal on these songs maybe because he felt he could experiment more with unreleased material.

A lot of the songs on Stormwatch feature a harder rocking Tull than we've heard of late, and I love it. Barriemore Barlow's drumming is fantastic throughout and the drum sound in the mix is excellent and very present. His double kick work would make any metal drummer proud. Would love to have heard Barlow's drumming in a more stripped back, hard rocking band context just for kicks (no pun intended). He would have excelled.

A 10 for me due to the Associated Recordings disc alone. But in combination with the fantastic main album surround remix on DVD 1 and the usual amazingly detailed book, this one actually deserves an 11! Rest In Peace, John Glascock!!!

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
This is so wetting my appetite for this release! Impatiently waiting for amazonuk to ship my long ago ordered copy.

Ranasakawa

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I preordered this I believe in around June?

unfortunately I ordered it on burning Shed in the UK.

it has not even been available there yet! I don’t understand how they could screw this up

knifeman

Reaction score
I preordered this I believe in around June?

unfortunately I ordered it on burning Shed in the UK.

it has not even been available there yet! I don’t understand how they could screw this up
I just noticed this myself. The lack of posts on this thread had me wondering if this was actually released yet. But the 56Kid's great review above answered that question. I'll be including this in my upcoming mega-order. It's such a love/hate thing when numerous titles are released within a short time period: love when they arrive at your door and hate when my Visa bill arrives!