Jethro Tull - "This Was" Steven Wilson 2.0/4.1 Remix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of the pedestrian content, I have to have this because I bought all of the other ones! I waited a bit too long on Songs From The Wood and had to do a "Search for the Holy Grail" in order to find it at a reasonable price. (Ditto with the Oppo 205, but you wouldn't know anything about that now...right Clint?)

Unfortunately, I am with you in that catergorie. Many of us our audiophiles, why? because we love listening to music, but many of us also become hobbyists and collectors. I know in advance without even hearing This Was it will not be a great one for me, but as a collector I have to admit I love everything about these Tull releases, Steven Wilson, the size of the package, the way it is put together, the information, the large amount of audio selections, a very well deserved franchise of music. On the other hand I am starting to limit my choices like my brother Clint. So now I listen on Tidal streaming first when everybody on QQ is happy about a release that I am not familiar with and make a decision. For instance I am not getting the new Moody Blues surround release.

OK, I couldn't help myself.....I have a small window this morning and popped in This Was. Same story......this is awesome. I just cannot get over how discreet and immersive this is. Outstanding......to my ears, this doesn't sound dated (fidelity) at all honestly. Geez.....another winner from Tull/Wilson.

I'll say that the surround style on this one differs song by song...sometimes I found Ian's vocal in left front...other times center...rear...you never know. Amazing...

If you like Tull, and you like this album, you will be over the moon I suspect. I love it.

OK, I couldn't help myself.....I have a small window this morning and popped in This Was. Same story......this is awesome. I just cannot get over how discreet and immersive this is. Outstanding......to my ears, this doesn't sound dated (fidelity) at all honestly. Geez.....another winner from Tull/Wilson.

I'll say that the surround style on this one differs song by song...sometimes I found Ian's vocal in left front...other times center...rear...you never know. Amazing...

If you like Tull, and you like this album, you will be over the moon I suspect. I love it.

Contrast this to In Search Of The Lost Chord, which appears to be a huge let-down.

No one is in the house this morning, so I can crank this a bit. Even better.

Btw, Round is fun fun fun, as predicted. But too short!

So, I'm still reluctant to open In Search Of The Lost Chord, I've neglected to order the White album (although the stellar reviews I've read so far will probably change that I feel) and Jimi has only just this second turned up, but in the mean time This Was arrived earlier today...

Well, I've never heard this album before in mono or stereo so I went straight in with the 4.1 ;) The music for me is pleasant enough, but certainly not my favourite period of Tull by any stretch, but interesting to see where it all started. I have to say, considering this is a 50 year old recording consisting of only 4 tracks, SW has hit it out of the park, sonically it's astonishing to be fair and really quite well done considering the limitations, good work, yet again! :cool:

Difficult to scan the booklet, but here's Steven Wilson's mixing notes.

photo116.jpg

Difficult to scan the booklet, but here's Steven Wilson's mixing notes.

Wow...But we knew going in that Wilson's a mixing genius, so we shouldn't be surprised that he can work magic with only 4 tracks. I wish they would let him have a crack at Rubber Soul and Revolver. I won't be able to open my copy of This Was until Christmas, so I will greatly enjoy reading your comments in the meantime.

Last edited:
So, I'm still reluctant to open In Search Of The Lost Chord, I've neglected to order the White album (although the stellar reviews I've read so far will probably change that I feel) and Jimi has only just this second turned up, but in the mean time This Was arrived earlier today...

Well, I've never heard this album before in mono or stereo so I went straight in with the 4.1 ;) The music for me is pleasant enough, but certainly not my favourite period of Tull by any stretch, but interesting to see where it all started. I have to say, considering this is a 50 year old recording consisting of only 4 tracks, SW has hit it out of the park, sonically it's astonishing to be fair and really quite well done considering the limitations, good work, yet again! :cool:

I'm really jealous that you have your first hearing of TWA and Jimi ahead -- savor it!

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the Tull, but feel I should check out the rest of the package before I vote. . . .

I'm really jealous that you have your first hearing of TWA and Jimi ahead -- savor it!

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the Tull, but feel I should check out the rest of the package before I vote. . . .

I've never owned any of the three albums mentioned, so that also makes for an interesting first listen, all three were born several years before I was. I've already listened to the Electric Ladyland 5.1 several times, some really good stuff on there, Jimi was well ahead of his time, hard to believe it was 1968. I've also now ordered the White Album too, that should be here tomorrow fingers crossed, looking forward to that after all of the positive stuff I've read on it here. I'm pretty sure ISOTLC will be going back to help pay for it though!

This just arrived today and I had time to listen to the DVD 4.1 mix.
As usual an excellent Steven Wilson remix good use of all the speakers and good fidelity.
I never had this album can vaguely remember seeing the cover as a kid but benefit and stand up were more familiar to me.
Yes the songs are not as good as later albums I will have to listen to the other discs and extras but the tull sound is there although more bluesy. I did enjoy the Roland Kirk cover they did.
Reminds me of comparing the first Yes album with original guitar player Peter Banks to their later albums with Steve Howe although their styles were closer to each other.

We can add 5.1 now. :cool:

11. Love Story (Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)
12. A Christmas Song (Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix in DTS and Dolby Digital)

I'm curious...you are a BIG Tull fan and yet on this title you gave it a 7 on the polls...any thoughts you would like to share...don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with your vote...I'd just love some input:D

Back