John Foxx - The Compete Cathedral Oceans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusinurbe

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This one seems to have slipped under the radar somewhat but I ttok teh plunge and acquired this at Christmas because it had a DVD.

Plesently surprised, in that you do get a full surround DVD of cathedral Oceans III in teh set and its a great descrete mix, along with a nice slide show of paintings to accompany each sound.
The only down side to thsi 4 disc set (3 CD and 1 DVD) is that the music is Dulby digital only, a shame because this sounds great as is but would probably have sounded batter in DTS or MLP.

The music is best described as Ambiant synth music.

Agree with all Fletch says above.

This is DD only but the sparse sound means that the limited kbs are not spread too thinly. Also, it's simple synth sounds and ethereal voices which aren't affected so badly by the DD compression. In other words, it sounds a lot better than you would expect.

Mix is very good, sound all around you and discrete, though the music is ambient in the Eno sense, so is purposefully nebulous.

Great visuals, too. Loads of nice, arty pics which dissolve almost undetectably from one to another. Pic quality is also extremely good (I'm watching via a Blu-Ray with upscaling). The slightly grainy quality of the photos means that you don't miss it not being HD. So the pics are the perfect “ambient video” to go with the audio.

By its very nature, this is never going to be at the top of anyone's playlist, and it is a DD DVD rather than a lovely Blu Ray, but it's difficult to see how this could be much better.

I bought this when it was new, but it's now sadly an expensive rarity. Hopefully it will be reissued on BDA. Until then, check it out online to see if you like it, in case you see it at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Hmm. I'll check this out. Thanks for the heads up and the recent revival of this thread. Or, upon further review of availability, maybe not. Ouch.

I have just written to John's Bandcamp page asking whether it could be possible to purchase the 5.1 mix as a DVD or download. You may send him a request as well. I think that the more of us who do so, the more chances we could get our wish granted. :)

You've probably seen, he's just reissued it on 5 x vinyl, which is what prompted me to dig out the DVD again. So he's definitely aware of some reissue potential.

If anybody is looking for this, I've just noticed that it was released on standalone DVD a few years earlier, which I didn't realise. I've got the 3CD+DVD in the white book, but this DVD does seem to be the same (though no CDs): it has the same tracks, mixing + mastering credits. Currently 1 on Discogs for $14.50 in the US. John Foxx - Cathedral Oceans

Last edited:
is this rare now? i had a couple of copies floating around at one point but don't recall being knocked out by the content or mixes, certainly its been years since i last played it. will have a rummage for it/them if/when i can.

is this rare now? i had a couple of copies floating around at one point but don't recall being knocked out by the content or mixes, certainly its been years since i last played it. will have a rummage for it/them if/when i can.

Judging by Discogs, it's certainly valuable - you could sell a copy and use the proceeds to buy an expensive box set! So well worth rummaging for! John Foxx - The Complete Cathedral Oceans

Last edited:
Judging by Discogs, it's certainly valuable - you could sell a copy and use the proceeds to buy an expensive box set! So well worth rummaging for! John Foxx - The Complete Cathedral Oceans

didn't get the box/book set (never knew about it until you mentioned it just now!) only a standalone DVD. not worth throwing good money on an overpriced one on the used market, sit tight for a cheap copy to come up or a reissue or something or if i find one i'll send you it.

didn't get the box/book set (never knew about it until you mentioned it just now!) only a standalone DVD. not worth throwing good money on an overpriced one on the used market, sit tight for a cheap copy to come up or a reissue or something or if i find one i'll send you it.
It was unbelievably cheap when it was released which is why I bought it.

I've got a copy, thanks, but that's a kind offer. If you do find a spare I'm sure you'll find some takers.

well i found "both" my copies.. turns out one lil' discy went a-wanderin' and one lil' discy stayed at home! in the intervenin' years and tears somehow i have ended up with 2 amaray cases and only one DVD diiisssccc! ahhh.. gin's a helluva beverage! 😂

so.. anyway... 2-nite i slit the slitted seal i slit on the old cellophane on 'copy 2' .. and well.. the surroundy-ness factor is strong enough (stuff happens hither and thither in a room-filling fashion, for sure).. musically its still the ambient semi-snoozefest i sorta remembered it to be.. great if you like that kinda thing and i'm sure many do! without any insinuation, personally i need a bit more ))))surround musical stimulationnnn(((( 🙃

in short, maybe don't bother with this one unless you see it cheap? oh i dunno.. or maybe if you get it get zonked first? that'll learn 'em!! possibly 😋 🤷‍♀️

85C2E23D-CA15-41F1-8BA5-40219ECAC827.jpeg

B817C0A0-29A2-4F82-89C0-114A5451AB1A.jpeg

A8ECCE7C-1C70-4E0C-8F21-2FF76EFC6397.jpeg

ps. the 5.1's Dolby Digital for those that are keeping score. he's scoring more.. he's scoring mooooorrrrrrre...!!!! owwwww!!!! 🤩

well i found "both" my copies.. turns out one lil' discy went a-wanderin' and one lil' discy stayed at home! in the intervenin' years and tears somehow i have ended up with 2 amaray cases and only one DVD diiisssccc! ahhh.. gin's a helluva beverage! 😂
so.. anyway... 2-nite i slit the slitted seal i slit on the old cellophane on 'copy 2' .. and well.. the surroundy-ness factor is strong enough (stuff happens hither and thither in a room-filling fashion, for sure).. musically its still the ambient semi-snoozefest i sorta remembered it to be.. great if you like that kinda thing and i'm sure many do! without any insinuation, personally i need a bit more ))))surround musical stimulationnnn(((( 🙃
in short, maybe don't bother with this one unless you see it cheap? oh i dunno.. or maybe if you get it get zonked first? that'll learn 'em!! possibly 😋 🤷‍♀️
ps. the 5.1's Dolby Digital for those that are keeping score. he's scoring more.. he's scoring mooooorrrrrrre...!!!! owwwww!!!! 🤩
Never heard this one, but you must have some crazy gin there my friend or-
ysyl.png
:smokin

View attachment 53650

Looks like the one on the left is the "Ultimate Ambient Edition".

Back