John Luther Adams "Become Desert" coming on CD+DVD & digital download (5.1 & Dolby Atmos) June 14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I'd heard this was in the offing, but didn't know whether there would be a surround mix. (For the last Seattle Symphony recording I bought, a year or so ago, they didn't have enough money to do surround.) The official email I got from Cantaloupe Records this morning says this:

The second disc in this 2-disc set is a DVD, which includes a 5.1 surround mix of the recording, as well as a slideshow of desert images (all still photography by John Luther Adams) that loops during playback. And as further testament to the technical sophistication of the recording process itself, the production team behind Become Desert has partnered with Dolby Laboratories to create a Dolby Atmos mix—a first for a Cantaloupe Music release, to be made available via online HD audio retailers.​
The pre-order page at Bandcamp seems to suggest that the Atmos mix will be included on the DVD ("Two-disc package contains a CD with the stereo master of Become Desert, and a DVD containing a Dolby Atmos multi-channel surround mix"). Adams's music seems like just the sort of thing Atmos was made for.

a3243327841_10.jpg

Last edited:
Listening to Become Ocean right now. I had never heard of him, but I'm liking what I'm listening so far. I need to check in Bandcamp the shipping cost to Spain, if reasonable, I may purchase Become Desert.

blitz Snood in a food processor and he'll become dessert! a banoffee snood pie!! :SB :ROFLMAO: :devilish::love:🍌🥧😛

more seriously, this looks cool! thanks for the heads up humprof 👍

quick Qn for QQ;
how do you get Atmos on a DVD?
might it be in the form of links to downloadable content or rippable files or something else? tia!!

quick Qn for QQ;
how do you get Atmos on a DVD?
might it be in the form of links to downloadable content or rippable files or something else? tia!!

I wondered that, me own self. Having never done this before, Cantaloupe may be a bit confused...or maybe it really is possible to put Atmos on DVD?

I wondered that, me own self. Having never done this before, Cantaloupe may be a bit confused...or maybe it really is possible to put Atmos on DVD?

So I wrote to a contact I had at the label about the ambiguity regarding the Atmos mix--and it seems, from what he said, that it will not be included with the physical discs, but will be sold separately, via download:

"The Atmos mix will be available digitally on June 14 through retailers like Acoustic Sounds. If you have trouble finding it on release day, just let me know and we'll work something out."​
Ralph may feel differently, but I think the surround mixes on the other large-scale pieces (Inuksuit, Become Ocean, Canticles of the Holy Wind), along with one percussion piece (Illimaq) released on Cantaloupe are very good but not great. Atmospheric and entrancing, yet not as dynamic or adventurous, mix-wise, as they could be. Even Canticles, the only one that came out in a lossless format (24/96 FLAC), isn't as revelatory as I expected (it has four choirs coming from four directions), though it's still quite moving.

The Seattle Symphony has shown a real commitment to live surround recording, though, so it's good that they were open to working with Dolby's engineers on this one. I have to think that Atmos is just what Adams's music has been waiting for.

P.S.: there's also a surround version of Adams's string quartet, Everything That Rises, available from Acoustic Sounds (for a price). I haven't heard that one, but I'd bet it's chamber-reverb r/t Tacet-style four-corners.

So I wrote to a contact I had at the label about the ambiguity regarding the Atmos mix--and it seems, from what he said, that it will not be included with the physical discs, but will be sold separately, via download:

"The Atmos mix will be available digitally on June 14 through retailers like Acoustic Sounds. If you have trouble finding it on release day, just let me know and we'll work something out."​
Ralph may feel differently, but I think the surround mixes on the other large-scale pieces (Inuksuit, Become Ocean, Canticles of the Holy Wind), along with one percussion piece (Illimaq) released on Cantaloupe are very good but not great. Atmospheric and entrancing, yet not as dynamic or adventurous, mix-wise, as they could be. Even Canticles, the only one that came out in a lossless format (24/96 FLAC), isn't as revelatory as I expected (it has four choirs coming from four directions), though it's still quite moving.

The Seattle Symphony has shown a real commitment to live surround recording, though, so it's good that they were open to working with Dolby's engineers on this one. I have to think that Atmos is just what Adams's music has been waiting for.

P.S.: there's also a surround version of Adams's string quartet, Everything That Rises, available from Acoustic Sounds (for a price). I haven't heard that one, but I'd bet it's chamber-reverb r/t Tacet-style four-corners.

thank you for taking the time and trouble to get the lowdown on the upcoming Atmos mix and thanks for all the info on the Adams's family of surround mixes 👍 ;)

Heyyyy... how did Chucky from Involve Audio get onto that album cover?

But seriously, thanks for the heads up on Become Desert. I remember hearing Become Ocean played on NPR, and made a mental note to get it in the future.
One day I found it finally in a Bullmoose store, and to my surprise it was a 2-disc version, that when I got home and opened it found out it was a 5.1 version
of the album. Become Desert is now on the to-get list.

"They're creepy and they're kooky..."

A18WgLtoi9L._SL1500_.jpg
Ahhh, Morticia, the wonderful and gorgeous Carolyn Jones (RIP)... my first crush.. made me a brunette loving man...great color photo, probably one of the very few ones along with the View Master reels-which I DO have and are very expensive!- since the show was in B&W..
BTW, the new animated movie coming out later this year looks great, emulating Charles Addams' artwork... and of course Vic Mizzy's theme song...

Is it then confirmed that the Atmos mix is not in the DVD? I can't buy the download version from Acoustic Sounds from Spain

Is it then confirmed that the Atmos mix is not in the DVD? I can't buy the download version from Acoustic Sounds from Spain

Right. The Atmos mix is only available as an mp4 from Acoustic Sounds.

The 5.1 mix on the DVD is a good one, just the same.

You might write to the label and see if there's any other way they can make the Atmos mix available for sale internationally....

Right. The Atmos mix is only available as an mp4 from Acoustic Sounds.

The 5.1 mix on the DVD is a good one, just the same.

You might write to the label and see if there's any other way they can make the Atmos mix available for sale internationally....
So I did, no reply so far :(

I can't buy the download version from Acoustic Sounds from Spain

I desperately wanted to buy a download release from a US site that wouldn’t sell to me in Australia so I got friend in the US to buy it for me and I sent him the money via PayPal.

The same her in Europe, I bought the DVD expenting this to have the Atmos. But that only gave 5.1. I really wanted the Atmos experience :(

Back