JVC / RCA / Victor / Nivico Japan Q8 and QR releases (info/list)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found one of the "missing" J4S tapes on Yahoo! Japan auctions recently:

J4S-7027 - Hiroshi Uchiyamada and Cool Five '6th Collection' / 内山田洋とクール・ファイブ '第6集'
j4s-7027-1.jpgj4s-7027-2.jpgj4s-7027-3.jpgj4s-7027-4.jpgj4s-7027-5.jpg
(Japanese CD-4 LP equivalent: R4J-7038)

I've added this information to the list in the first post of this thread as well.

Thanks for sharing thouse rare tapes and infos!

Japan released 8 Elvis Presley quad LPs. The question is if Japan also released all 8 titles on quad8 tape? I have no info on the following titles:
From Elvis In Memphis (1969), Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (1974), Today (1975) and Promised Land (1975)

Thanks for sharing thouse rare tapes and infos!

Japan released 8 Elvis Presley quad LPs. The question is if Japan also released all 8 titles on quad8 tape? I have no info on the following titles:
From Elvis In Memphis (1969), Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (1974), Today (1975) and Promised Land (1975)

Watching the slew of Q8 releases that came out in a single auction years ago, most of them totally unknown before, i would say yes, very likely at least for the first two; but since it took 45 years to discover these, i won't hold my breath until i see a JQ8 of Memphis. The only other way to get more information on this would be to find out a Japanese JVC Q8 catalog of 1975-76.

What did surprised me when all these ones came out was that despite heir cd4 counterpart that found a way to US stores, no one carried Q8. I can understand that for Elvis titles, since these were released also in USA and Canada... but Stylistics, Motown...? These were HOT titles back in the days!!!!!

I think it is also very strange that all the japanese Elvis collectors I know have no knowledge about those Q8 tapes. Maybe I should write to RCA/Sony Tokyo...

Kind of a shameless excuse to bump this thread (which I think is one of my more informative ones) to add photos of this demo tape, which just showed up on eBay.

It has the same tracklisting as DT-901 and DT-902, the only difference is the label - DT-901 is Victor, DT-902 is JVC Nivico, and this one is just JVC. These tapes came with JVC/Victor Q8 decks - I think 901 was probably for Domestic Japanese machines, while 902 was for anything exported outside of Japan, while 903 replaced 902 after the company completely rebranded their foreign operations from Nivico (Nippon Victor Company) to JVC (Japanese Victor Company).

DT-903 - 4 Channel Stereo Demonstration Tape

dt-903-1.jpgdt-903-6.jpgdt-903-2.jpgdt-903-5.jpgdt-903-4.jpgdt-903-3.jpg

Another one of the missing/unknown tapes from this series just showed up on Yahoo! Japan auctions:

QH-1036 - Takeshi Onodera and Los Onoderas 'Latin Rhythm Festival!' / 小野寺猛士とロス・オノデラス 'ラテンリズムの祭典'

QH-1036---Latin-Rhythm-Festival--1.jpgQH-1036---Latin-Rhythm-Festival---2.jpgQH-1036---Latin-Rhythm-Festival---3.jpgQH-1036---Latin-Rhythm-Festival---4.jpgQH-1036---Latin-Rhythm-Festival---5.jpg
(Japanese CD-4 LP equivalent: 'Dynamic Latin Drums' CD4B-5033 (domestic release) / CD4B-5033E (export release))

Kind of a shameless excuse to bump this thread (which I think is one of my more informative ones) to add photos of this demo tape, which just showed up on eBay.

It has the same tracklisting as DT-901 and DT-902, the only difference is the label - DT-901 is Victor, DT-902 is JVC Nivico, and this one is just JVC. These tapes came with JVC/Victor Q8 decks - I think 901 was probably for Domestic Japanese machines, while 902 was for anything exported outside of Japan, while 903 replaced 902 after the company completely rebranded their foreign operations from Nivico (Nippon Victor Company) to JVC (Japanese Victor Company).

DT-903 - 4 Channel Stereo Demonstration Tape

View attachment 61186View attachment 61191View attachment 61187View attachment 61190View attachment 61189View attachment 61188
Hi, can you help me? I've no experience in those tapes, only vinyl. What does it mean: 4 Channel Stereo? Stereo recording with 30kHz carrier like the vinyl records? Or are they real 2x (sides) 4 track like on a Quad wheel tape?

Hi, can you help me? I've no experience in those tapes, only vinyl. What does it mean: 4 Channel Stereo? Stereo recording with 30kHz carrier like the vinyl records? Or are they real 2x (sides) 4 track like on a Quad wheel tape?
"4 Channel stereo" was just another of the myriad of terms used for 'quadraphonic'. 4 tracks, no carrier involved (the tape cartridge couldn't have reproduced 30kHz anyway).

Courtesy of a discogs entry:

Havana Cuban Orchestra 'La Macarena - Dynamic Latin'

nqh-1009-la-macarena-1.jpgnqh-1009-la-macarena-2.jpg

(This is the English-language export version of QH-1009 - Havana Cuban Orchestra 'Mambo of the Bullfighter / Latin Dynamic Deluxe' / ハバナ・キューバン・オーケストラ '闘牛士のマンボ / ダイナミック・ラテン・デラックス')

Back