JVC / RCA / Victor / Nivico Japan Q8 and QR releases (info/list)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QW-7022 - Jackson 5 'In Japan!' [Label: Motown]
QW-7022-Jackson_5_In_Japan-1.JPGQW-7022-Jackson_5_In_Japan-2.JPGQW-7022-Jackson_5_In_Japan-3.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7037)

QW-7023 - Perez Prado 'Taboo'
QW-7023-Perez_Prado_Taboo-1.JPGQW-7023-Perez_Prado_Taboo-2.JPGQW-7023-Perez_Prado_Taboo-3.JPGQW-7023-Perez_Prado_Taboo-4.JPGQW-7023-Perez_Prado_Taboo-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7042 'Perez Prado in CD-4')

QW-7026 - Jack De Mello Grand Orchestra 'Jack De Mello Plays Melodies of Japan'
QW-7026-Jack_De_Mello-Plays_Melodies_of_Japan-1.JPGQW-7026-Jack_De_Mello-Plays_Melodies_of_Japan-2.JPGQW-7026-Jack_De_Mello-Plays_Melodies_of_Japan-3.JPGQW-7026-Jack_De_Mello-Plays_Melodies_of_Japan-4.JPGQW-7026-Jack_De_Mello-Plays_Melodies_of_Japan-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7053)

QW-7027 - Jack De Mello Grand Orchestra 'Jack De Mello Sound in Screen'
QW-7027-Jack_De_Mello_Sound_in_Screen-1.JPGQW-7027-Jack_De_Mello_Sound_in_Screen-2.JPGQW-7027-Jack_De_Mello_Sound_in_Screen-3.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7067 'Jack De Mello Sound In Screen Vol. 2')

QW-7029 - Francini 'Best of Continental Tango'
QW-7029-Francini_Best_of_Continental_Tango-1.JPGQW-7029-Francini_Best_of_Continental_Tango-2.JPGQW-7029-Francini_Best_of_Continental_Tango-3.JPGQW-7029-Francini_Best_of_Continental_Tango-4.JPGQW-7029-Francini_Best_of_Continental_Tango-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7055 'Continental Tango in CD-4, Vol.1')

QW-7030 - The Stylistics 'You And Me / The Stylistics' [Label: AVCO]
QW-7030-The_Stylistics_Self_Titled-1.JPGQW-7030-The_Stylistics_Self_Titled-2.JPGQW-7030-The_Stylistics_Self_Titled-3.JPGQW-7030-The_Stylistics_Self_Titled-4.JPGQW-7030-The_Stylistics_Self_Titled-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7057 'The Stylistics')

QW-7031 - Sonny Rollins 'Moritat / Sonny Rollins In Japan'
QW-7031-Sonny_Rollins_in_Japan-1.JPGQW-7031-Sonny_Rollins_in_Japan-2.JPGQW-7031-Sonny_Rollins_in_Japan-3.JPGQW-7031-Sonny_Rollins_in_Japan-4.JPGQW-7031-Sonny_Rollins_in_Japan-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7059 'Sonny Rollins in Japan')

QW-7032 - Nini Rosso 'Plays Francis Lai' [Label: Globe]
QW-7032-Nini_Rosso_Plays_Francis_Lai-1.JPGQW-7032-Nini_Rosso_Plays_Francis_Lai-2.JPGQW-7032-Nini_Rosso_Plays_Francis_Lai-3.JPGQW-7032-Nini_Rosso_Plays_Francis_Lai-4.JPGQW-7032-Nini_Rosso_Plays_Francis_Lai-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7060)

VQW-1002 - Nini Rosso 'Poemes De L'Amour' [Label: Globe]
VQW-1002-Nini_Rosso_Poemes_DLamour-1.JPGVQW-1002-Nini_Rosso_Poemes_DLamour-2.JPGVQW-1002-Nini_Rosso_Poemes_DLamour-3.JPGVQW-1002-Nini_Rosso_Poemes_DLamour-4a.jpgVQW-1002-Nini_Rosso_Poemes_DLamour-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7068)

VQW-1003 - The Temptations 'In Japan!' [Label: Motown]
VQW-1003-The_Temptations_In_Japan-1.JPGVQW-1003-The_Temptations_In_Japan-2a.jpgVQW-1003-The_Temptations_In_Japan-3.JPGVQW-1003-The_Temptations_In_Japan-4.JPGVQW-1003-The_Temptations_In_Japan-5.JPG
(Japanese CD-4 LP: CD4W-7069)

DT-901 - Victor quad 8 4 Channel Stereo Demonstration Tape
IMG_3720.JPGIMG_3721.JPGIMG_3722.JPGIMG_3723.JPGIMG_3724a.jpg

Program I
  1. The Cat Modern Jazz Orchestra
  2. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head Hadichai Nakamura Grand Orchestra
  3. From "Water Music" Shigenobu Yamaoka conducts the Tokyo Solisten
Program II
  1. Boatman's Ditty Yukio Hashi
  2. Setouchi at Night Mina Aoe

Program I
  1. ザ・キャット - モダン・ジャズ・オーケストラ
  2. 雨にぬれても - 中村八大 グランド・オーケストラ
  3. 「水上の音楽」より - 山岡重價 指揮 / 東京ゾリステン

Program II
  1. 船頭小唄 - 橋幸夫
  2. 夜の瀬戸内 - 青江三奈

Seeing all this would make for a wishful thinking... maybe all he cd4 had a q8 counterpart... but then i see that there's no room for Billy Vaughan vol.2 and still wonder how they selected to release the Q8 even in this series. At first the numbers does goes on in parallel, the with the Godfather soundrack all mess up again.
It's simply incredible... Rockin' roll baby in q8.

The only thing to clarify is the status of the Q8 releases, if any, from the other majors players, King, Toshiba, Pioneer. As far aw we knew until a month ago, the Jap Q8 maket was very limited, and this has been proven false. The truth is out there...

Just want to echo everyone's sentiments about how cool this is! Just when we think we have a solid idea of most of what's out there in quad, something new pops up...

Two questions:

1. Did you find any evidence that all the Motown quad titles (including the studio albums) have Q8 counterparts? Shame the lot didn't come with a catalog or some sort of brochure listing other titles. It seems strange they would only bother doing a few of the live albums and not the far more aggressive studio ones. I'm praying Q8 copies of All Directions or the Jackson Five's GH pop up someday, if they're out there.

2. Are these being digitally backed up for preservation? I guess that's up to @bigbillquad as they're part of his collection, but I'd strongly suggest it.

QW-7006 - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers 'Jazz Messengers '70'

LOVE this one in CD-4. Totally discrete mix: trumpet in left front, sax right front, bass left rear, piano right rear, and the drums are in all four. Maybe one of my favorite jazz surround recordings. The Q8 must be absolutely unbelievable!

2. Are these being digitally backed up for preservation? I guess that's up to @bigbillquad as they're part of his collection, but I'd strongly suggest it.

Hi. sjcorne

I am aiming to digitally back up for preservation, I bought a view years ago a older model Motu UltraLite unit but my computer died on me and not thinking I bought a new computer windows 10 and the drivers for Motu unit does not work on win 10, I got a friend how`s into computers and even he could not get the driver to work :poop::poop::poop:…...
But my niece was about to through out here old computer window XP so I will have to get back into things and work out how to proceed I am not a computer person it might take me bite to get into...

I will happily be the off site cloud storage backup service, just send me copies
It might come true...…..
BBQ....

Last edited:
Came across this tape on Yahoo! Japan auctions recently, it must've come out around the same time as Victor Japan's earliest QRs, which were the 4CT-2000 and 4CT-5000 series sometime in 1971. I've added it to the list in post #1 - presumably since this is DMS-2003, DMS-2001 and DMS-2002 exist as well so I've added blank entries for them as well.

DMS-2003 - 4Track 4 Channel (Demo Tape)

Handel
1. No. 11 from Water Music
2. No. 3 from Water Music
3. No. 1 from Water Music
Shigenobu Yamaoka conducts the Tokyo Solisten

4. The Cat
5. Comin' Home Baby
The Beatliners

(Very) rough translation of the text on the back of the box:

"New world of sound · · · ·

Victor Multi Source System 4 Channel Music Tape

It is one step and two steps forward from the two-channel system which is the stereo up to now and it opens the world of the new Victor Multi Channel Source System was born.

In the past, the multi-channel source system (Multi Channel Source System) has now doubled the enjoyment of sounds from monaural to stereo development, so now it is a multi-source (Multiple signal source) is a new and highly anticipated new stereo system that will develop into a completely new and vibrant sound world by the 4-channel system with the program source. The sound of the multi-channel source system is abundant in the immersive feeling which can not be obtained with the stereo system so far, realistic reproduction as good resolution and live performance makes the listener completely obscure the listener It is inevitable.

This music tape is a special tape recorded by a unique 4 channel recording device for use as the program source of this multi-channel source system. With this tape you can enjoy the exciting sound of the new 4 channel system to your heart's content."

Original Japanese text, if anyone wants to have a better go at translating it:

新しい音の世界ヘ・・・・・・

ビクター・マルチ・ソース・システム4 チャンネル・ミュージック・テープ

今までのステレオである2チャンネル方式より一歩も二歩も前進し新しい音の世界を開らい たビクター・マルチ・ソース・システムが誕生しました。

マルチ・チャンネル・ソース・システム(Multi Channel Source System)は、過去、音の課 程がモノラルからステレオヘの発展により音の楽しみを倍加した様に今ここに 2 チャンネル方 式からマルチ・ソース (多重信号源)をプログラム・ソースとする4チャンネル方式により全く 新しい生々しい音の世界へと発展してゆくオーディオ・マニア待望の新しいステレオ方式です。 マルチ・チャンネル・ソース・システムによる音は今までのステレオ方式では得られない臨場 感に豊み、解像力の良いそして生演奏さながらのリアルな再現は聴く人を完全に音のとりこに してしまうこと必至です。

このミュージック・テープはこのマルチ・チャンネル・ソース・システムのプログラム・ソ ースとして使用するため独特な4チャンネル録音装置により録音されたスペシャル・テープです。 このテープで新しい4チャンネル方式の抜群な音を心ゆくまでお楽しみ頂けます。

Back