Katatonia “Night is the New Day” box set with 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
https://burningshed.com/katatonia_night-is-the-new-day_boxset
Featuring 2CDs, 1DVD and a 10” vinyl EP, Katatonia celebrate the 10th anniversary of its classic Night Is The New Day with a 2019 deluxe edition presented in a beautiful 48-page hardback book.

“Night Is The New Day as 'possibly the greatest 'heavy' record I have heard in the last 10 years... it truly is a masterpiece!” - Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)

The two CDs contain the album, B-sides, remixes and live tracks, while the DVD features the album's first ever 5.1 surround sound mix (DTS 24/96) by Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief), a hi-resolution stereo audio mix (24/96 PCM WAV) and two promo videos. The Longest Year EP is presented on 10" vinyl for the first time and the package contains exclusive sleeve notes from renowned journalist Dom Lawson and updated artwork from long-time collaborator Travis Smith.

CD 1
  1. Forsaker [04:04]
  2. The Longest Year [04:37]
  3. Idle Blood [04:21]
  4. Onward Into Battle [03:49]
  5. Liberation [04:16]
  6. The Promise Of Deceit [04:15]
  7. Nephilim [04:25]
  8. New Night [04:25]
  9. Day And Then The Shade [04:28]
  10. Inheritance [04:26]
  11. Departer [05:27]

CD 2
  1. Ashen [04:06]
  2. Sold Heart [04:32]
  3. Day And Then The Shade (Frank Default remix) [05:40]
  4. Idle Blood (Linje 14) [03:23]
  5. Forsaker (live at Summer Breeze 2011) [04:07]
  6. Liberation (live at Summer Breeze 2011) [04:19]
  7. The Promise Of Deceit (live at Koko) [04:15]
  8. The Longest Year (live at Koko) [04:41]
  9. Nephilim (live at Koko) [04:28]
  10. New Night (live at Koko) [04:31]
  11. Idle Blood (live at Union Chapel 2014) [04:31]

DVD
  1. Forsaker (5.1 mix) [04:04]
  2. The Longest Year (5.1 mix) [04:37]
  3. Idle Blood (5.1 mix) [04:21]
  4. Onward Into Battle (5.1 mix) [03:49]
  5. Liberation (5.1 mix) [04:16]
  6. The Promise Of Deceit (5.1 mix) [04:15]
  7. Nephilim (5.1 mix) [04:25]
  8. New Night (5.1 mix) [04:25]
  9. Day And Then The Shade (5.1 mix) [04:28]
  10. Inheritance (5.1 mix) [04:26]
  11. Departer (5.1 mix) [05:27]
  12. Ashen (5.1 mix) [04:06]
  13. Sold Heart (24/96 stereo LPCM) [04:32]
  14. The Longest Year (video) [04:41]
  15. Day And Then The Shade (video) [05:40]

10" Vinyl EP

A
  1. The Longest Year [04:37]
  2. Sold Heart [04:32]

B
  1. Day And Then The Shade (Frank Default remix) [05:40]
  2. Idle Blood (Linje 14) [03:23]

Have I lost my mind? I also see the Shed has another "box" from Katatonia called The Fall Of Hearts also with a 5.1 mix. Probably I knew, but forgot....
Are you referring to the CD/DVD set or is there another? The 5.1 mix from the CD/DVD set is very mellow for metal, just be forewarned. Not sure if it's the way the guitars were EQed, or where the faders were set or what. I like it, but it definitely met with mixed reviews at release.

Hm, just three weeks out and seems to be available only at Burning Shed and the band’s own store. Don’t want to miss this, the DVD appears to be exclusive in this set. Can anyone guess if it will be listed at the ‘usual suspects’?

Has nobody else got there's yet? only DTS 5.1 96/24 or LPCM 96/24 stereo to choose from. I'm not familiar with this album but my first impression of it is that it
has a rather harsh sound, quite bright, it is discrete though, the 5.1 by The Pineapple Thiefs Bruce Soord. The package is lovely specially the red 10 inch vinyl.

Has nobody else got there's yet? only DTS 5.1 96/24 or LPCM 96/24 stereo to choose from. I'm not familiar with this album but my first impression of it is that it
has a rather harsh sound, quite bright, it is discrete though, the 5.1 by The Pineapple Thiefs Bruce Soord. The package is lovely specially the red 10 inch vinyl.
Yep got mine.
First listening, I wasnt too impressed with the sound quality. It is discrete but for Bruce Soord this release is not up to his normal high standards. This impression is from the first couple of listens. There I was saying that packaging is not a consideration for me on another thread and I get a release where the packaging is really good. Or am I just saying that to overcome my disappointment with the sound quality...humm.
Hopefully I will warm to this as I give it more airtime.

In fact playing it again now.

Last edited:
...on another thread and I get a release where the packaging is really good. Or am I just saying that to overcome my disappointment with the sound quality...humm.
For me, packaging has affected my decision, so far, but in the opposite way. My only interest is the surround mix, but the cost of the total package has prevented a purchase (especially Buringshed's shipping cost).
If the sound isn't good, it's a near-definite no-go.

For me, packaging has affected my decision, so far, but in the opposite way. My only interest is the surround mix, but the cost of the total package has prevented a purchase (especially Buringshed's shipping cost).
If the sound isn't good, it's a near-definite no-go.
I'm just the same.
Which was why I hesitated over this one and the Goldfrapp expensive box set.
And I hav'nt pre-ordered Tangerine Dreams box set new release, for the same reasons.
I can't justify £120 for a band I never got into, although I'm sure the mix will be to die for.
My German music centred around Faust, Can and Kraftwerk and latterly Schiller.

Last edited:
I'm just the same.
Which was why I hesitated over this one and the Goldfrapp expensive box set.
And I hav'nt pre-ordered Tangerine Dreams box set new release, for the same reasons.
I can't justify £120 for a band I never got into, although I'm sure the mix will be to die for.
My German music centred around Faust, Can and Kraftwerk and latterly Schiller.
Goldfrapp boxset? Do they have anything new?

Back