Katatonia-Sanctitide Concert in 5.1 mixed by Bruce Soord

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Sounds promising

Blu-ray edition of Sanctitude, the Katatonia concert film of the band's 'Unplugged & Reworked' performance at London's Union Chapel.

In September 2013, Kscope released Dethroned & Uncrowned, a reworking of the band's 2012 epic Dead End Kings (originally released on Kscope's sister label Peaceville). Dethroned & Uncrowned allowed Katatonia the opportunity to explore a more ambitious series of soundscapes, creating new moods and textures while remaining truthful to the core of the original songs.

Katatonia took Dethroned & Uncrowned on the road in May 2014 as 'Unplugged & Reworked', presenting an intimate acoustic evening performing tracks from the album alongside reworked atmospheric classics from throughout their career. Each venue on the tour was carefully chosen for its unique atmosphere.

Sanctitude is a concert film drawn from the stunning candle-lit setting of London's Union Chapel, where Katatonia were joined on guitar and vocals by Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief).

The 80 minute set features songs taken from the albums The Great Cold Distance, Viva Emptiness, Brave Murder Day, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Dead End Kings / Dethroned & Uncrowned, and includes fan favourite Teargas. The show closes with the sublime The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here featuring a guest appearance by vocalist Silje Wergeland from The Gathering.

The blu-ray features the full concert (Stereo 24/48 LPCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround, 5.1 Surround 24/96 MLP lossless mixes) plus the 66 minute Beyond The Chapel documentary, which includes brand new interviews with Anders Nystrom and Jonas Renkse, plus unseen backstage clips.

Contains an 8 page booklet with exclusive photos from across the European tour, plus an MP3 download code.

Pre-order for 30th March release.

All audio on "Sanctitude" has been mixed and mastered by Bruce Soord, with artwork once more supplied by longtime visual collaborator Travis Smith.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey, check out Bruce's reply to tweet:

@bsoord This is exciting and can't wait to hear some of your own music in 5.1 :)

@petezach I think there will be a lot of 5.1 activity in 2015!

I hope this has a real 5.1 mix, not 3.1 like 90% of Blu Rays. Katatonia make great music!

I hope this has a real 5.1 mix, not 3.1 like 90% of Blu Rays. Katatonia make great music!

Keenly, totally agree with you that almost all Concert Bluray's being 3.1 at best.
Really curious on this one as it should give us an idea of Bruce Soord's mixing ability, sure hope its a good one.

peter

The blu-ray features the full concert (Stereo 24/48 LPCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, DTS 24/96 5.1 Surround, 5.1 Surround 24/96 MLP lossless mixes) plus the 66 minute Beyond The Chapel documentary, which includes brand new interviews with Anders Nystrom and Jonas Renkse, plus unseen backstage clips.

Contains an 8 page booklet with exclusive photos from across the European tour, plus an MP3 download code.

Brilliant stuff!

This Blu-ray arrived today courtesy of Burning Shed (usual great service). I've only had a quick play but it seems like a lovely, warm, submersive 5.1 mix with discrete use of the rear channels for some of the background instrumentation - not just the usual concert "ambience". The picture can be a bit soft but this seems to be down to the smoke effects as the close-up shots are pretty detailed. Looks and sounds like a winner. :banana:

My copy of this on Blu-Ray (with download code) arrived today. Have only had chance to play the first three tracks in 5.1 but it sounds really good so far. :)

This is a superb BD-V and an excellent Unplugged style concert.

As far as the 5.1 mix of a live concert goes, I loved it. Nice immersive surround.

Mellow and hauntingly beautiful music...

Bravo!

I enjoyed this Blu-Ray quite a lot. It's a wonderful compliment to the "Dethroned & Uncrowned" DVD-A release.
Like others have mentioned before, it's not a 'blow you away' discrete mix, but it's also not a completely ambient surround mix either.
It's somewhere in-between the two extremes, and the mix works very well for the laid-back acoustic concert that this is.

BTW it looks like the only way you can get this surround mix is through the Blu-Ray as it does not appear to be on the CD/DVD-V release. Truth?

I enjoyed this Blu-Ray quite a lot. It's a wonderful compliment to the "Dethroned & Uncrowned" DVD-A release.
Like others have mentioned before, it's not a 'blow you away' discrete mix, but it's also not a completely ambient surround mix either.
It's somewhere in-between the two extremes, and the mix works very well for the laid-back acoustic concert that this is.

BTW it looks like the only way you can get this surround mix is through the Blu-Ray as it does not appear to be on the CD/DVD-V release. Truth?

Yep!!

This is one of the best concert blu rays i have listened to. Great surround and I love the sound from the acoustic bass gitar. The sound quality on this disc makes my system sound fantastic.

This is one of the best concert blu rays i have listened to. Great surround and I love the sound from the acoustic bass gitar. The sound quality on this disc makes my system sound fantastic.

Don't you think the bass sounds bloated and too loud at times? There is too much sub activity.

Don't you think the bass sounds bloated and too loud at times? There is too much sub activity.

On my system the bass on this disc sounds perfect! Just the way i want it to be. Full and warm bass, not bloated and not to much sub activity.

I do use a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 Cinema on the sub.

I picked this up recently and the bass seems okay on my system but...IMO, it's a bit compressed, I found it loud without turning the volume up too much. Since I didn't listen at a high volume, that may have had a resulting effect of the bass not being too boomy. As always, YMMV. I like the music very much though :upthumb

Back