Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

This is potentially interesting. It seems that Warner Japan has released a series of Big Band SACDs which were captured from high-res recordings. I only noticed it because a Japanese specialty shop had the fourth disc up for pre-order, and it seems to contain a version of the James Bond theme.

Since the first three titles from 2010-2015 are either on the verge of or seemingly already out-of-print, I'm going to focus only on the latest one for right now, which is set to be released on August 22nd, 2018:

%E8%A7%92%E7%94%B0%E5%81%A5%E4%B8%80BIGBAND%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%82%B1%E5%86%99SPECIAL_h1.jpg

WPCL-12919: BIG BAND SPECIAL (English translation) (Amazon)

Tracklist:
1. What's Going On
2. Moanin'
3. I Left My Heart In San Francisco
4. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
5. Charade
6. Mission Impossible
7. The Shadow Of Your Smile
8. The James Bond Theme
9. The Theme From "Ironside"
10. Sir Duke

There is a large article here (English translation) detailing what this band does. Some of it gets lost in translation, but it seems they now record in 96kHz/32-bit, and they seem very interested in high-resolution recording and archiving. Also, the first three releases in this series have been Hybrid Multichannel SACDs, so I am assuming the latest release will also have a surround layer, too. Could be fun, especially if you like a lot of the Dutton Vocalion easy listening SACDs.

For the record, regarding the previous releases, it seems that the first two SACDs came out together on August 25th, 2010:

WPCL-10852: BIG BAND STAGE (English translation) (Amazon)
WPCL-10853: BIG BAND SOUND (English translation) (Amazon)

The third one was released on April 22nd, 2015, and is mysteriously absent from both Amazon Japan and the WMJ site. I don't know why this has a different product number, either:

WQCQ-633: BIG BAND SCALE (JAN/EAN: 4943674209033) can be found here at CDJapan, or in stock here at Tower Records Japan.

This is potentially interesting. It seems that Warner Japan has released a series of Big Band SACDs which were captured from high-res recordings. I only noticed it because a Japanese specialty shop had the fourth disc up for pre-order, and it seems to contain a version of the James Bond theme.

Since the first three titles from 2010-2015 are either on the verge of or seemingly already out-of-print, I'm going to focus only on the latest one for right now, which is set to be released on August 22nd, 2018:

%E8%A7%92%E7%94%B0%E5%81%A5%E4%B8%80BIGBAND%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%82%B1%E5%86%99SPECIAL_h1.jpg

WPCL-12919: BIG BAND SPECIAL (English translation) (Amazon)

Tracklist:
1. What's Going On
2. Moanin'
3. I Left My Heart In San Francisco
4. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
5. Charade
6. Mission Impossible
7. The Shadow Of Your Smile
8. The James Bond Theme
9. The Theme From "Ironside"
10. Sir Duke

There is a large article here (English translation) detailing what this band does. Some of it gets lost in translation, but it seems they now record in 96kHz/32-bit, and they seem very interested in high-resolution recording and archiving. Also, the first three releases in this series have been Hybrid Multichannel SACDs, so I am assuming the latest release will also have a surround layer, too. Could be fun, especially if you like a lot of the Dutton Vocalion easy listening SACDs.

For the record, regarding the previous releases, it seems that the first two SACDs came out together on August 25th, 2010:

WPCL-10852: BIG BAND STAGE (English translation) (Amazon)
WPCL-10853: BIG BAND SOUND (English translation) (Amazon)

The third one was released on April 22nd, 2015, and is mysteriously absent from both Amazon Japan and the WMJ site. I don't know why this has a different product number, either:

WQCQ-633: BIG BAND SCALE (JAN/EAN: 4943674209033) can be found here at CDJapan, or in stock here at Tower Records Japan.

I have the first two and the recording quality is excellent. I use them to get a gauge on my system’s bass because they are right on the verge, but not quite, of being too bassy. “Begin the Beguine” is a stand-out track for me. I will keep an eye out for this release! Thanks.

thanks for the heads up on the new one McCrutchy! (y)

can anybody at QQ please help with finding the 3rd release in this series? i have the first two SACDs but am after the Big Band Scale one.. cdjapan's out of stock and i haven't a scooby doo how to order from Tower Records Japan!

in other words; "HEY-ALP..!!!" :p

And now it seems all four Big Band albums are available in the US on Spotify. When I checked this before, all of the albums were unavailable in the US, and it still seems the other Kenichi Tsunoda albums are, too.

Here is the latest one:

Back