King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the confirmation of the box set release is indeed good news, the bulk of the interview is about the sorry state of the music industry. It does explain much of the official Crimson not being a current entity. We must relish the past glories for now and maybe forever, given the low chance of reconcilliation with Universal.

I would hasten to add that a recent Travis & Fripp album release contradicts his zero output state.

to some degree you're right but time and circumstances have changed.

* there are in offer plenty of CDs alone, from KC. ones, who still use CDs, i assume, doesn't care about DVDA and anyway wouldn't buy it.

* DVDA buyers in most part don't have an usage for CD, which come in package.
to assure their full happiness, i would rather include into DVDA a folder with image file of CD or 44.1/16 flacs, that if necessity arise,
they can easily burn up their own CD.

* with such approach in production, the printing cost can be shrink down about 40%, thus offer release at about $15~17.
that's perhaps will result in more sales and can be attractive enough to grows consumer base which could led to grows in demand for
releases in DVDA format.

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here.
* There will doubtless be a standalone CD or 2CD edition as well as the CD/DVD-A double pack.
* There is barely sufficient room on this disc for the high resolution content, and certainly not enough even for FLAC versions to get added.
* DGM already think everything should be in 5.1 on DVD-A anyway

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here.
* There will doubtless be a standalone CD or 2CD edition as well as the CD/DVD-A double pack.
* There is barely sufficient room on this disc for the high resolution content, and certainly not enough even for FLAC versions to get added.
* DGM already think everything should be in 5.1 on DVD-A anyway

I think this whole discussion about formats is pointless unless we know what the contents of the new reissues ARE!

And for those of you who complain about a CD being part of the package, the truth is it would cost the same amount for a standalone DVD-A as it would for a CD/DVD-A package.
We know there's going to be a CD/DVD-A package, and if the Larks' reissue is like ITCOTKC, then we will also have a 2CD version and a box set, so there's plenty of options to choose from.
I really hope we find out the contents this week. Just like Tom Petty once said, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part."

Fripp gets funny on us:

Wed July 18

"...to reading sleevenotes for The Ultimate LTIA Box Set Of Wonder, Terror & Joy – Specially Designed For The Private Chambers Of Men Who Spend A Lot Of Time Alone."

:51banana:

Don't know if this was common knowledge already, but apparently Beat is also being released this October. I suppose that it was expected to be released this year but just found confirmation by Inner Knot Records from a post they made on their Facebook wall.

Nothing really new here, but...

http://www.dgmlive.com/forum.htm

There any New information for release date of Larks’ Tongues in Aspic 40the anniversary remaster edition?

thank you very much

There'll be an announcement on the news page in the next few weeks
Sid
(Smith)

waiting.gif

http://dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=22099

Apparently, Lark's Tongues will be out at the end of October. :banana:

Dang! Beat me to posting it!

Anyway, nice to know we're only looking at a bit more than a 2-month wait for this thing, but I really wish Fripp and co. would stop all this "pussyfooting" already and just give us the full track listing for whatever available formats.

Hmmm, late October...add in shipping time and people like me with birthdays in early November are having happy ones for sure.

Anyway, nice to know we're only looking at a bit more than a 2-month wait for this thing, but I really wish Fripp and co. would stop all this "pussyfooting" already and just give us the full track listing for whatever available formats.

Cor - you lot don't want much, do you!!
Did it never occur that the reason for not yet publising the final track listing might have something to do with adding extra content, or getting permissions for stuff that will greatly enhance the whole caboodle?
Believe me that the glass is not only a bigger glass than previously thought, but also a very full one to boot......and have a little patience. (please??)

Cor - you lot don't want much, do you!!
Did it never occur that the reason for not yet publising the final track listing might have something to do with adding extra content, or getting permissions for stuff that will greatly enhance the whole caboodle?
Believe me that the glass is not only a bigger glass than previously thought, but also a very full one to boot......and have a little patience. (please??)

Apologies if you were offended by my "pussyfooting" comment, Neil. It wasn't directed anywhere near you, I guarantee.

I promise not to make any more comments about the track listing until it actually gets here. I hope our naggings haven't turned you into your avatar... :yikes

Besides the bonus content in the set, I feel like just from a remix perspective (stereo and 5.1), this release will be the best of the year, mainly because this album (unlike most of the KC and ELP albums) REALLY needs a remix, as the original is just awful, on par with the original mix of Aqualung, and that is the main factor driving any impatience on my part.

One question that had popped into my head after reading Fripp's "box set" comments on his diary is what are the main factors behind the DGM team deciding which albums get the box set treatment, while others only a CD/DVDA set. Does it just come down to how much content is available for a particular album, or is the historical significance of an album taken to account as well?

Last edited:
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916 :)

The long-awaited 40th anniversary edition of the legendary Larks’ Tongues In Aspic quintet will be released on October 15th.

One of the key recordings in the King Crimson canon, and the only formal studio recording by the LTIA quintet, the 40th Anniversary Edition will be released in three separate editions to satisfy the merely curious and the expectant collector.

1. CD/DVD-A: CD: New stereo mix + selected audio extras – all new content.
DVD-A featuring 5.1 new surround mix, original & new stereo mixes in hi-res stereo, a full album of alt mixes by Steven Wilson & more than 30 minutes of unseen footage of the band live in the studio.

2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12” box with booklet & memorabilia. DVD-A content as above, Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material – all presented in DTS Master audio, 4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album, 1CD live in the studio, 8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings + 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards – limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units.

3. 2CD: Complete original & new mixes with selected audio extras.

Whilst the clip of the quintet performing LTIA pt1 during the Bremen Beat Club recording has been available on the internet for several years in varying degrees of quality, there has been some fevered speculation as to whether the full concert would ever see the light of day.
Though it's been a long time coming, the full video of David Cross, Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Jamie Muir will now be seen in full. We hope all Crimheads agree that the waiting to get this in the best possible quality will have been worth while.

Pre-ordering details will appear soon.

Steven Wilson's tweet on the matter:
https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/status/235054194086801408
Crazy 15 disc box set for King Crimson "Larks Tongues in Aspic" reissue out 15th Oct (regular CD/DVDA edition too)

Wow!! 13cds DVD-A and a blu-ray!!

How much is that puppy going to cost? No space for marbles eh?

Back