Kompendium - Beneath The Waves mixed in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Rob Reed is finishing the first album Beneath The Waves from his project Kompendium. It has been recorded with a lot of familiar names. From progrockmag.com,

Kompendium are to release an album on September 24, and it’s the culmination of three years work.

The brainchild of Magenta keyboard player Rob Reed, the album is to be titled Beneath The Waves. And, for Reed, it’s been a lengthy labour of love.

“It’s ridiculous, but it has taken three years to get things finished. The project has been massive, the idea being to emulate what people like Mike Oldfield, Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush used to do.

“This is classic prog with Celtic influences. It’s a concept album, and hopefully will appeal to those who enjoy War Of The Worlds, Dark Side Of The Moon and Tubular Bells.”

Reed has called on the services of two dozen other musicians to help create this work.

“I went back to some of my favourite albums and made a wish list of people I’d love to have involved,” he says.

Those who’ve contributed include Steve Balsamo – vocals, Steve Hackett – nylon guitar, Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) – drums, Nick Beggs (Steve Hackett Band) – stick bass, Troy Donockley (Nightwish) – Uilleann Pipes, whistles, Nick Barrett – guitar, Neil Taylor (Tears For Fears) – guitar, Jakko Jackzyk (20th Century Skitzoid Band) – guitar, Francis Dunnery – guitar, John Mitchell – guitar, Mel Collins (King Crimson, Camel) – saxophone, BJ Cole (Elton John, David Gilmour) – pedal steel guitar, Chris Fry (Magenta) – guitar and Christina Booth (Magenta) – backing vocals.

Says Beggs of his role: “It was a great pleasure to contribute to this record. After having met Rob over the years when I was with Steve Hackett, it was really interesting to be able to work on an album together. Especially one as bold as this one turned out to be.”

Also contributing to the project are vocal ensemble Synergy, The English Chamber Choir conducted by Guy Protheroe, the London Session Orchestra conducted by Dave Stewart, plus opera singers Rhys Meirion and Shan Cothi.

As you may know, Rob Reed is also a main contributor for Magenta, writing most of the music and producing and mixing the songs. he has mixed most of the Magenta albums in 5.1. And he is also busy mixing the Kompendium album in 5.1, from his twitter account, @robreedmagenta,

Just mixing 5.1 of Kompendium. I love 5.1 !!!!! This album was made for it.Orchestra behind you, choir to the left and right, band in front.

Sounds very promising. As the Magenta discs were dvd-v with only DD, I doubt we will see a lossless disc this time. Will give it a shot and ask him. He seems to be very friendly in answering questions.

Nick Beggs on Chapman Stick? Cool - that man is one HELL of a great bass player.
BJ Cole is another seriously under-rated player (although those who know, know) and another top chap as well - we have been doing some 5.1 mixes together as a side project.
I wonder if we can talk him into a lossless version - please feel free to offer him my services, Robert - we would love to do this

That would be incredible. I bought the 2 Magenta DVD-V (even with DD only) and sent Rob a mail at the time saying (in a friendly way) that his mixes and music were worth at least DTS. The reply suggested that he didn't have the software to do that or something along that lines. Good to hear he is still serious about 5.1.
Another thing I hope is that the mixing/mastering will be such that the bass will be heard better than on those two.

Hey - FYI - There are three magenta discs:

Metamorphosis
Seven
Chameleon

No info whether or not it will be dvd-v or dvd-a, but attached is the ad for the new album. Pre-orders from 24/09 from http://www.kompendium-web.com/

Kompendium ad.jpg

Get yer pre-orders in......
This one reads like a "who's who" of the scene - some incredible musicians there.
Sounds great too. Superb drumming & bass playing, and some truly outstanding string work from David Stewart.

Get yer pre-orders in......
This one reads like a "who's who" of the scene - some incredible musicians there.
Sounds great too. Superb drumming & bass playing, and some truly outstanding string work from David Stewart.

Neil, agreed, it is quite a list of fantastic musicians listed on this project.
For rest of us QQ folkes, if Neil says this will be worth a preorder than we shouldn't fear about the sound quality on this release.
I was going to preorder but looks like we have to wait a few days yet before we can.

peter

Got this reply from Kompendium: (y)

We are currently authoring HI rez and DTS for the 5.1 on the DVD.
Looking forward to this
Kompendium

On 16 Sep 2012, at 09:32, Mike ....... wrote:

> I hope you at least include DTS for the 5.1 mix... or a Hi-rez download would be great..
>
> Looking forward to this...

Got this reply from Kompendium: (y)

We are currently authoring HI rez and DTS for the 5.1 on the DVD.
Looking forward to this
Kompendium

On 16 Sep 2012, at 09:32, Mike ....... wrote:

> I hope you at least include DTS for the 5.1 mix... or a Hi-rez download would be great..
>
> Looking forward to this...

Very nice, great to see an artist who is as passionate about sound quality as we are on QQ. After I forwarded Neil's offer and contact details to Rob Reed, he quickly got in touch with Neil, and things went very fast after that. Cannot wait to hear the final result, :51banana:

Thank you Neil, for offering your services and taking care of the technical side.

Very nice, great to see an artist who is as passionate about sound quality as we are on QQ. After I forwarded Neil's offer and contact details to Rob Reed, he quickly got in touch with Neil, and things went very fast after that. Cannot wait to hear the final result, :51banana:

Thank you Neil, for offering your services and taking care of the technical side.

Awesome!!! FYI - as a follow on I got this reply:

Hopefully both…Depends on the room on the DVD9
It will defiantly be better than Dolby 5.1
The stereo audio was mastered at 24 /96, so we will see.
The surround mix sounds amazing, the album is so suited to the 5.1.
Thanks

On 16 Sep 2012, at 10:13, Mike ...... wrote:

> Great!!! Thanks I'll place my order whn it becomes available...
>
> Hi-rez stereo (only) and/or hi-rez 5.1??
>
> Regards
> Mike

Awesome!!! FYI - as a follow on I got this reply:

Hopefully both…Depends on the room on the DVD9
It will defiantly be better than Dolby 5.1
The stereo audio was mastered at 24 /96, so we will see.
The surround mix sounds amazing, the album is so suited to the 5.1.
Thanks

On 16 Sep 2012, at 10:13, Mike ...... wrote:

> Great!!! Thanks I'll place my order whn it becomes available...
>
> Hi-rez stereo (only) and/or hi-rez 5.1??
>
> Regards
> Mike
Super, thanks for sharing! And it sure will be better than Dolby :)

I just listened to the clips on youtube. Wow... and incredible line-up of musicians, and what I heard sounds really good. This has a lot of potential!

I'll be placing an order.

Neil, Mike - thank you guys for your work with musicians, making them awared,
nothing is impossible today. have no idea what about is this project but looking
forward to get it as soon as it will become available.

Neil - are you able confirm that this is going to be a DVD-A?

Hi. Thanks for your interest in Kompendium. We're hoping for great things with this album. The stereo masters sound absolutely wonderful (no brick walls here :) ), and the surround mixes sound excellent too. We're still QA'ing those mixes.

Obviously I know you'll be interested primarily in high res stereo and 5.1, but there is a vinyl master too. Rob Reed (the composer and architect of Kompendium) is very keen on both vinyl and 5.1 for the extra dimensions that each format (if done well) bring to recorded music.

Pre-orders start on 24 September and we're trailing some excerpts on the album Facebook page every day at 17.00 UK time to whet the appetite a bit more.

Once again thanks for your support and I'll be sure to keep you up to date with the 5.1 news :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kompendium/257030357739462

Http://www.kompendium-web.com

Hi. Thanks for your interest in Kompendium. We're hoping for great things with this album. The stereo masters sound absolutely wonderful (no brick walls here :) ), and the surround mixes sound excellent too. We're still QA'ing those mixes.

Obviously I know you'll be interested primarily in high res stereo and 5.1, but there is a vinyl master too. Rob Reed (the composer and architect of Kompendium) is very keen on both vinyl and 5.1 for the extra dimensions that each format (if done well) bring to recorded music.

Pre-orders start on 24 September and we're trailing some excerpts on the album Facebook page every day at 17.00 UK time to whet the appetite a bit more.

Once again thanks for your support and I'll be sure to keep you up to date with the 5.1 news :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kompendium/257030357739462

Http://www.kompendium-web.com
Thank you for joining QQ, and for sharing information on the 5.1 mixing.

BTW, the snippets on facebook/soundcloud sound very promising!

Back