Led Zeppelin "How The West Was Won" Blu-Ray Reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I have the old DVD-A and I can't remember the last time I played it. It's got usual audience/reverb live surround mix IIRC.

If it does end up having some sort of surround mix (the Blu-Ray could very well be stereo only), they'll probably want to use that old mix rather than commissioning a new one.

Now I'd like to think this is the precursor to Super Deluxe reissues of all the studio albums with 5.1...not too optimistic, but one can dream :)

Not a favourite band but if the stand alone bluray contains a surround mix I will buy for the cheer format alone, since stand alone blurays with a hirez stereo/multichannel is my favourite format. And I suppose I can take a small amount of Zeppelin listening.

Last edited:
A pack shot of the Blu-Ray from amazon:
81gS5SDtGuL._SL1500_.jpg

Very interesting. I have the old DVD-A and I can't remember the last time I played it. It's got usual audience/reverb live surround mix IIRC.

If it does end up having some sort of surround mix (the Blu-Ray could very well be stereo only), they'll probably want to use that old mix rather than commissioning a new one.

Now I'd like to think this is the precursor to Super Deluxe reissues of all the studio albums with 5.1...not too optimistic, but one can dream :)

I also have the DVD/Audio, & was never impressed; their actual LIVE 60's, & 70's performances, were never really captured on audio; good, not great:(

I thought the DVDA mixes were just fine. It sounds like live Zeppelin (without the mistakes ;> . (Though I forget whether the violin bow part of Dazed and Confused flies around the room, as it did in concert)

I've always loved the MLP DVD~A 5.1....and No, it's not discrete but played at a loud volume it really sounds fantastic.

With this BD~A release [and believe me, the price is right] it seems Page/Plant might be testing the waters for future 5.1 [or better] releases from the Lep Zep catalogue.:banana:

And most intelligently, Atlantic is offering this as a stand alone BD~A in nicer packaging than the chintzy [but efficient] DVD~A digipack. I for one will be double dipping.

The song list of this release is just killer...the negative things FOR ME are... it's a live performance(I prefer studio recordings for any hi rez offerings)...and of course the biggest problem with the Led Zeppelin catalog...Jimmy Page's control over the production..which has resulted in some poor audio...I'd be happy if they just used the Kevin Shirley mix from the DVD-A...in fact Kevin did do a 24/96 version...that wasn't used..check out post 5 HERE...I would just like to have some Led Zeppelin with good fidelity and not compressed to death...George Marino is credited with the mastering of the DVD-A...and I wonder if he mastered the CDs which are a mess HERE

Even with all those problems...I'll buy this puppy in a heartbeat..CONTENT is king...and this has a boatload of great content(y)...and once again RHINO is bringing some valuable music to the marketplace...big thanks to them...regardless of the quality...at least they are thinking about us..

The song list of this release is just killer...the negative things FOR ME are... it's a live performance(I prefer studio recordings for any hi rez offerings)...and of course the biggest problem with the Led Zeppelin catalog...Jimmy Page's control over the production..which has resulted in some poor audio...I'd be happy if they just used the Kevin Shirley mix from the DVD-A...in fact Kevin did do a 24/96 version...that wasn't used..check out post 5 HERE...I would just like to have some Led Zeppelin with good fidelity and not compressed to death...George Marino is credited with the mastering of the DVD-A...and I wonder if he mastered the CDs which are a mess HERE

Even with all those problems...I'll buy this puppy in a heartbeat..CONTENT is king...and this has a boatload of great content(y)...and once again RHINO is bringing some valuable music to the marketplace...big thanks to them...regardless of the quality...at least they are doing it for us..
I have the DVD-A and is quite enjoyable with volume up and not sure why but Disc 2 sounds a little better. This new Blu Ray will only be one disc so it will be fun to compare.
I own all of the Zep catalog in FLAC 24/96 stereo and sounds great. I will only buy Zep in surround at this point.

Even with all those problems...I'll buy this puppy in a heartbeat..CONTENT is king...and this has a boatload of great content(y)...and once again RHINO is bringing some valuable music to the marketplace...big thanks to them...regardless of the quality...at least they are thinking about us..

I was totally unaware of the 'alternative' Kevin Shirley remix. Would be a trip off they utilized that remaster.

In any event, as Markie and I can both attest....the original DVD~A 5.1 IS a trip and is best played at FULL THROTTLE!

I only wish Amazon would advertise this as a 5.1 Surround Remaster instead of just BD~A as a LOT of the BD~As were stereo only.

I was totally unaware of the 'alternative' Kevin Shirley remix. Would be a trip off they utilized that remaster.

In any event, as Markie and I can both attest....the original DVD~A 5.1 IS a trip and is best played at FULL THROTTLE!

I only wish Amazon would advertise this as a 5.1 Surround Remaster instead of just BD~A as a LOT of the BD~As were stereo only.

There is some interesting discussion on that poll thread...and since I see steelydave on the thread...maybe he can add something...he make an observation about the mastering on the DVD-A in post 29 HERE

Boxset details here

I'm a little confused about the description(on Bullmoose) of the contents of the super deluxe box set..in the description it mentions a DVD in the super deluxe set...but the top portion mentions a blu ray...I can't believe the "super" edition would have a dvd instead of a blu ray...something is not right about one of the descriptions...Ryan's first post mentions DVD in the "super" edition...

Back