Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same" Reissues (including Blu-Ray Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
This is from MusicTAP:
http://www.musictap.com/2018/06/20/...s-as-2cd-4lp-3dvd-super-deluxe-set-with-film/

On September 7, Atlantic Records will reissue a newly remastered Super Deluxe 2CD/4LP/3DVD package of the classic The Song Remains The Same. In this expanded set, there will be the original album on the CDs, the original album on 4LPs, with the bonuses falling to the DVD side. DVD 1 will provide the original film, DVD 2 will provide a collection of video extras, and DVD 3 will deliver HD (96kHz/24-bit) versions as well as a DTS Master Surround Audio 5.1 mix.
There will be a BD-Audio (Blu-ray Audio package that will supply the HD Stereo Audio PCM and DTS HD Master Audio Stereo, and 5.1 DTS sets. In addition, the BD-Audio package will add in video performances of four songs not featured in the film (“Celebration Day”, “Over The Hills and Far Away”, “Misty Mountain Hop”, “The Ocean”)

Here's the amazon link to the Blu-Ray Audio edition: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTV2PGK/
and here's the amazon link to the box set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTMPNTP/
81Rszh8WwsL._SL1500_.jpg

9181pb01dFL._SL1500_.jpg

Here's a link to Acoustic Sounds:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/135728/Led_Zeppelin-The_Song_Remains_The_Same-Blu-ray_Audio

It lists different content than what MusicTAP says, so who knows what's really on it, but it does also say 'Blu-Ray Audio' too

Sounds more like a remastered BD~Video to me than a PURE BLU RAY AUDIO disc!

When LED ZEP, Inc. gives us their CORE albums remixed into 5.1 [or ATMOS] on PURE AUDIO BD~A, then maybe we'll stand up and take notice.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a remastered BD~Video to me than a PURE BLU RAY AUDIO disc!

Because the performances are usually live by the Zep...there is very little difference between the blu ray concert and the "so called" blu ray audio...having your favorite 24/96 metrics doesn't help much the way they produce the disc..

Because the performances are usually live by the Zep...there is very little difference between the blu ray concert and the "so called" blu ray audio...having your favorite 24/96 metrics doesn't help much the way they produce the disc..

As I recall, Clint, the fuzzy, grainy images on The Song Remains The Same may be OVERKILL for the BD treatment. The Acoustic$ounds listing specifies the FILM and SPECIALS which is hardly BD~A! Just sayin'

Last edited:
The Song Remains The Same was never a showcase for Live Zep.
I can tell you from first hand experience that there were killer live Zep shows.
You just had to luck out and catch them on a good night as their tours were epic undertakings.
Unfortunately by the time they decided to release a record of a tour it was 1977 and the venues they were playing were huge affairs and events that went beyond any kind of musical experience.
Of the the 3 times I saw Zep, 73, 75 & the UnLedded Tour, even though they for unknown reasons left out John Paul Jones & Bonham was long gone, the 95 tour was the best as far as performance and sound.
The real time to have seen Led Zeppelin would have been in the early days in the smaller venues.
The video of their early performance in Sweden is a great example.
I know folks who saw them at the Green Lake Aqua Theater in 1970 and they killed it.
Recently Jimmy was in town with his poet GF and a local took some pics as he was visiting Green Lake.

I'm now more certain that this new Blu-Ray release is NOT the film but the soundtrack in high-res surround sound and stereo (so a Blu-Ray audio disc.)
A closer look at the Blu-Ray packshot says "The Soundtrack from the film..."
Plus the track listing on the disc in the pack shot is definitely the soundtrack track listing as there's lots of songs listed in the running order that are not in the movie.
The current amazon pre-order price is pretty steep at $34.98 but it's better than the $249.98 pre-order price for the box set...

Well i´m excited about this release.
Even if it is not one of their best shows from 1973 it is still an excellent concert i think.
I liked the BD release of How the west was won.
For being an surround live disc i haven´t heard any that is as good as that one.
So my hope is that they have worked with the surround on this one.
I guess i will have to hope that the audio is at least enjoyable.
Hopefully there will be some moments like on the How the west was won where you have some discreet audio

As long as they attempt to provide a surround mix on these "live" events....the result will be just like it has been in the past...perhaps they should rename the title....THE SOUND REMAINS THE SAME...it they want a "real" audiophile type of release...they need studio material as the source and to keep Jimmy Page away from the studio....but I doubt that is going to happen...Zep had some amazing live performances...back in the day...but they don't translate well to hi rez products..

Back