Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye HFPA Blu-ray Coming March 2015

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the mix the same on both the SACD & DVD-A?

Hope that's the mix that is used as I never picked up this title. Looking forward to it! :)

Is the mix the same on both the SACD & DVD-A?

Hope that's the mix that is used as I never picked up this title. Looking forward to it! :)

I've never compared them but I can't imagine there'd be any difference.

The old SACD was a 5.0 presentation as I recall (no LFE channel) and the DVD-A had an audio interview with Producer Ed Townsend (conducted over the telephone, no less!) as a bonus.. I think we can safely say the latter won't be on the HFPA, even if the surround mix is!

Fwiw, I love the surround mix on this one and sound quality is terrific.. it's had a pretty mixed response over the years, so I hope a new reissue of it now will bring it to the attention of a new audience and reappraisal will be more positive!

Might be worth mentioning, for those who find the Marvin Gaye Collection surround mix 'too active' (gimmicky, even! :yikes ) the surround mix on this one is lovely and immersive and discrete but doesn't feature the active panning and ping pong of the 5.1 on Marvin's hits SACD/DVD-A/DTS CD set.

Ill take the Herbie Hancock,
I am not sure that the Miles Davis can be that good I thought his time on Blue note was pre 'Kind of Blue' 1952 - 1954 recordings interesting to see how well they come out.
Blue Train has been out for years on a HDAD I think

It's good to hear the HFPA thing hasn't died a death and that more is on the way..

..but the thing that gets me about these new announcements more than anything
is that their Facebook page is full of requests for two things on HFPA Blu-ray more than anything else:
1.) New releases (i.e. Brand New albums and/or albums by current rather than legacy acts)
2.) Surround.

Even factoring in the Rush/Fly By Night (and possibly the Bon Jovi/Slippery When Wet & Marvin Gaye/Let's Get It On) that we've heard about having 5.1, I don't see a lot of new artists and/or surround happening on HFPA, do you?

And I thought you were the one who bought that Maroon V Blu-ray.

And I thought you were the one who bought that Maroon V Blu-ray.

Yes that's right and it's not the only Stereo HFPA BD-A I've picked up.

I got three titles when the format first rolled out in France in May 2013, out of curiosity as much as anything and to be fair they were 3 cherished albums..

..then a couple more in the 2nd wave in France of newer artists to sample the mastering on more recent recordings..

..I got the Maroon 5 because I wanted the album and was going to get it anyway so thought why not pick it up in the supposed best form..

..then the Nat King Cole as I'd heard good things about the equivalent download and I'm not big on downloading..

..and most recently I got the Supertramp/Crime Of The Century since I love the album and in the absence of an SHM-SACD I again wanted the supposed best stereo so I went for it.

For the record I'm not overly impressed with any of them, though none are absolutely terrible, most are average, one or two are very good.

That's 8 stereo titles, in the same time frame I've picked up nearly 10 times that many BDA's in Surround.

Can I still express my dismay at the general situation, that the majority of people contributing to Universal's HFPA Facebook want new stuff in surround yet they're failing to deliver? I guess not..

I have looked at the 5.1 in Audacity and the vocals are in all 5 channels, as are the other instruments. It is like multi channel stereo with some discrete elements. Is the Quad mix like this or completely discrete?

I have looked at the 5.1 in Audacity and the vocals are in all 5 channels, as are the other instruments. It is like multi channel stereo with some discrete elements. Is the Quad mix like this or completely discrete?

..and how does it sound when you're sat in your sweet spot?

I absolutely love it, it's a super immersive mix.

The Quad is more discrete (and is very good.. fat chance of that being used on the upcoming Blu-ray though).. I prefer the fidelity of the Surround SACD, which to me on my setup is really beautiful.

..and how does it sound when you're sat in your sweet spot?

I absolutely love it, it's a super immersive mix.

The Quad is more discrete (and is very good.. fat chance of that being used on the upcoming Blu-ray though).. I prefer the fidelity of the Surround SACD, which to me on my setup is really beautiful.

The SACD sounds great!

Yeay! Glad you like it! :D

If any QQ-ers get anymore info as to what's exactly on this Blu-ray, could you please post and let us know? TIA! (y)

The issue I have with vocals being mixed in stereo for the rears is that I can't get the stereo imaging accurate. No matter what I do the vocal is prominent in rear right speaker. It must be my room. Really annoying. I have tried swapping speakers, changing speaker level etc. So if there is a disc with vocals in all 5 speakers I can hear it from the front and rear right. That is one of the reasons why I like 5.1 mixes that 'move' and flow, instead of ones that just 'sit' if you know what I mean.

The issue I have with vocals being mixed in stereo for the rears is that I can't get the stereo imaging accurate. No matter what I do the vocal is prominent in rear right speaker. It must be my room. Really annoying. I have tried swapping speakers, changing speaker level etc. So if there is a disc with vocals in all 5 speakers I can hear it from the front and rear right. That is one of the reasons why I like 5.1 mixes that 'move' and flow, instead of ones that just 'sit' if you know what I mean.

Oh that sounds like a pain :( Is your rear right speaker closer to your listening position than rear left? Have you also tried adjusting the distance/delay parameter for that channel so it's fewer feet/metres away than rear left?

http://www.musictap.net/2015/02/11/...ased-on-bd-audio-stereo5-1-surround-in-march/

Let’s Get It On by Marvin Gaye To Be Released on BD-Audio (Stereo/5.1 Surround) In April

We’ll just forget that OTHER Marvin Gaye post. I received erroneous info, and with it being a slow news day, I went with something that I would not have otherwise. On the other hand, what this post references (and corrects) is something that I would definitely have gone with! As I will now.

Marvin Gaye is no stranger to fans of R&B, particularly to those of us who remember the music as it played out on the radio. After the success of What’s Going On, and not counting the excellent Trouble Mansoundtrack (which we’ll talk about in a few), Marvin Gaye released Let’s Get It On. That album was issued in 1973, generating three singles, one of them the massive Number One title track. The other two singles, “Come Get To This” (not as successful as “Let’s Get It On”, but still flirted with the Top 20 on Pop hits), and “You Sure Like To Ball”, the last single, which heralded the charting power of Let’s Get It On.

Over time, Let’s Get It On continues to be one of the stronger sets in Marvin Gaye‘s catalog.

On April 28, Motown Records will release Let’s Get It On on Blu-ray Audio. The music will be 96k/24-bit audio, and yes, there WILL be a 5.1 Surround mix, which was supervised by the album’s original producer, Cal Harris.

So, there’s that! I apologize for the confusion. Thanks to Robbert van D for the assist!
Also, Motown Records released a vinyl LP version of Trouble Man on March 10! If you wanted something like that, here’s your chance.

And finally, for those that may not know about it, Motown released three hi-resolution digital audio sets of Live At the London Palladium that includes 96k/24-bit, 192k/24-bit, and DSD mixes. Those are readily available having been released back in 2014 on August 5.

Posted by MARowe on 11 February 2015

Oh that sounds like a pain :( Is your rear right speaker closer to your listening position than rear left? Have you also tried adjusting the distance/delay parameter for that channel so it's fewer feet/metres away than rear left?

The Right rear speaker is actually closer to the wall, with less space around it yet is more dominant. Very annoying, but I have no choice. There is literally nowhere else to put them.

Attachments

• SDC12016.jpg
    SDC12016.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 333
  • SDC12018.jpg
    SDC12018.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 324
http://www.musictap.net/2015/02/11/...ased-on-bd-audio-stereo5-1-surround-in-march/

Let’s Get It On by Marvin Gaye To Be Released on BD-Audio (Stereo/5.1 Surround) In April

We’ll just forget that OTHER Marvin Gaye post. I received erroneous info, and with it being a slow news day, I went with something that I would not have otherwise. On the other hand, what this post references (and corrects) is something that I would definitely have gone with! As I will now.

Marvin Gaye is no stranger to fans of R&B, particularly to those of us who remember the music as it played out on the radio. After the success of What’s Going On, and not counting the excellent Trouble Mansoundtrack (which we’ll talk about in a few), Marvin Gaye released Let’s Get It On. That album was issued in 1973, generating three singles, one of them the massive Number One title track. The other two singles, “Come Get To This” (not as successful as “Let’s Get It On”, but still flirted with the Top 20 on Pop hits), and “You Sure Like To Ball”, the last single, which heralded the charting power of Let’s Get It On.

Over time, Let’s Get It On continues to be one of the stronger sets in Marvin Gaye‘s catalog.

On April 28, Motown Records will release Let’s Get It On on Blu-ray Audio. The music will be 96k/24-bit audio, and yes, there WILL be a 5.1 Surround mix, which was supervised by the album’s original producer, Cal Harris.

So, there’s that! I apologize for the confusion. Thanks to Robbert van D for the assist!

This is on my radar however considering HFPA past reputation and some of the previous albums I've bought, I may wait for reviews first.

Back