Lichtmond - new surround DVD/Blu-Ray from the makers of Ambra

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Stevie

I really liked the Ambra - DVDs - true, some parts were quite cheesy but they use surround to good effects.
Now the makers have a new project going, "Lichtmond". The Blu-Ray edition promises discrete 7.1. :
http://www.amazon.de/Lichtmond-Spec...0258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286705022&sr=8-1

the first reviews I read speak of a reference disc, but you can never be sure how independent these really are

I dont own a blu-ray player yet, so I will start looking for the DVD edition and report back. Does anybody own this disc already?

Yes I own already this "Lichtmond" (Lightmoon) Music Blu Ray. The Surround-Sound is very clear and surround the room. Especially the voice, which is speaking sometimes short poems is listen turning from all channels/loudspeakers. The pictures are PC made bizzar and romatic. Really a disc for dreaming away from the daily "drudgery".

Dietrich

I found the whole concept a bit "New Agey" almost cheezy.
Nevertheless the surround experience is great. If you like "Chill-out" style stuff this might be up your alley.

The second blu-ray release is out now under the title Lichtmond 2 - Universe of Light, this time both in 2D and 3D. The project's website lichtmond.com has all the info including an Amazon.de link that has both versions in stock (for the same amount of money).

The second blu-ray release is out now under the title Lichtmond 2 - Universe of Light, this time both in 2D and 3D. The project's website lichtmond.com has all the info including an Amazon.de link that has both versions in stock (for the same amount of money).
I just bought it today - this version specifically:

http://www.amazon.de/Lichtmond-Univ...0355/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1349897579&sr=8-6

It is cheesy once more, for sure, but the 3D is pretty impressive and the sound on the blu-ray very immersive. I especially like the Alan Parsons contribution. The CD in this package has some more audio tracks and the DVD a different videoclip for the AP track, an interview with the man and a 10 minute clip (DTS) with pictures from the ESA and ALMA observatories.
all in all, a nice package

The Lichtmond 2 sounds like a re-hash of the same ideas, musically as well as visually. By this time it gets too cheezy, at least for me. Also I think the 3D effect is full of fundamental flaws (if you try to make parts "pop-out" at the edges of the screen, where they are partly cut off, the brain protests).
The only good thing is the surround mix.

Holy crap these are amazing!! I'm listening to them on my stereo system in Germany right now and can't wait to try them in Surround once I'm back in Canada at the end of the year. This music is right up my alley, up there with "This Binary Universe", "Monster" and "Surrounded" by Tipper. Man, the mixture between real instruments (some great flute and electric guitar parts) and electronic beats is so cool. I also like the spoken German poems in-between. I had expected them to be cheesy, but they are actually well-composed and the voice actor is doing a good job. It's also awesome to know Alan Parsons had a hand in it.

What a great find! Will report back when I can give the 5.1 version a spin. Really looking forward to it.

EDIT: screw the visuals, who cares? :) I'm in it for the music and mix and so far, the music is amazing...

Back