Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And...what makes your channel unique...there are reviews of AR all over YouTube and the web. None of them, NONE of them discuss the 5.1 or Atmos mixes. And the fact that no one wants to talk 5.1 or Atmos mix is a real shame. Keep up the good work!
Also, your isolation of surround channels for Oh Darling and Octopus’s Garden is unique and a home run.

Abbey Road Atmos Track by Track

Oh, I was dead set on making sure Giles put Maxwell clanking his silver hammer in those Atmos height speakers...and he did!

[Edit: And they didn't screw up Here Comes The Sun by putting too much in the Atmos speakers. That track is absolutely perfect in 5.1, so stuffing too much overhead might be too much of a good thing in that case. Obviously, I'm writing this as I listen to the video.]

I'd be great if someone here with a 7.1 system (Not using Atmos heights) could also suss out (Abbey Road) any major differences between the "surround" speakers and the "rear surround" speakers; to see if it's worthwhile to combine those two (digital edit), for us with just a 5.1 setup :whistle:
I have 7.2 - I will try to sample some songs and report my findings 7.1 vs 5.1

I'd be great if someone here with a 7.1 system (Not using Atmos heights) could also suss out (Abbey Road) any major differences between the "surround" speakers and the "rear surround" speakers; to see if it's worthwhile to combine those two (digital edit), for us with just a 5.1 setup :whistle:

So far my observations of an unscientific A/B of Abbey Road (songs Come Together, Here Comes The Sun, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End).

Sonically overall, I think the dts takes the win. Crisp, clear, "warm" sounding not as bright as the True HD but don't get me wrong, the True HD is bright but not painfully bright, just the dts is warmer, less bright, and I prefer that (could also be because I'm listening with horn loaded speakers, so something that's bright to begin with, sounds more high pitched on horns IMO). My experience with Dolby is that it is typically bright on any recording, music or movies. Overall though, you won't be disappointed with the dts 5.1 as all 5.1 speakers are very active. There is definitely an overall recording difference between the dts and the True HD. The True HD is no doubt recorded louder by a solid 3 - 5db.

5.1 dts
It's as if you are sitting dead center just in the front of the band as they play. The rears/sides light up with guitars and chorus in each song as if they were singling and playing next to you. Good depth and imaging with the dts but depth (and soundstage) is where the True HD wins.

7.1 Dolby True HD
This has the added dimension of the back speakers. So now you are completely surrounded by the Beatles as they play through the songs. The True HD downmixed Atmos makes it almost as if the singing and instruments have a lot of depth and are floating around in the room. Very "airy." (I can't begin to imagine how awesome this would sound with 4 more height or ceiling speakers.)

The Life in Surround YouTube channel joins the 700 club!
FB_IMG_1570490032507.jpg

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - DVD DTS 5.1

Special thanks to @J. PUPSTER for rips!

Thanks for the review. I especially like the part where you mention that the DVD has slightly better audio than the DTS CD. Perfect justification for me buying it!
I noticed several versions. Some but not all had multichannel in the description.
I'm getting the one with the big DTS logo on the front.

Thanks for the review. I especially like the part where you mention that the DVD has slightly better audio than the DTS CD. Perfect justification for me buying it!
I noticed several versions. Some but not all had multichannel in the description.
I'm getting the one with the big DTS logo on the front.
Thanks for watching and for the feedback! Yes, the DTS logo should be a safe bet.
At the time of purchase, I could only find them offered from S. Korea, but right now there are some pre-owned copies on eBay for pretty cheap.

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - DVD DTS 5.1

Special thanks to @J. PUPSTER for rips!

I have The original Stereo CD, The DTS 5.1 CD. and the DTS 5.1 DVD. I agree that the DVD sound better than the DTS CD. I just wish the 4 Studio tracks had also been include on the DTS CD and DVD! (especially in 5,1)

Back