Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another wildly discrete SONY Classical two~fer QUAD SACD lovingly mastered by Mr. Dutton. Simply Gorgeous!
81c67YOKBXL._SL1208_.jpg
Ya know “we” bitch a lot about not having much in the way of Surround, but I can never find the time to hear everything I already have, never mind what’s on my want list🙄

I’m not a big fan of classical, but one of my favorite D-V releases to date is the “Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra”.

That recording was conceived and specially recorded for quad release. It’s very discrete: the cover actually shows how the instruments are spread around the room. I have the SQ LP and Q8 as well, but this took it to the next level.
That reminds me, about time to make a run through the D-V store, and pick up some stragglers- Yippee Ki Yay

Ya know “we” bitch a lot about not having much in the way of Surround, but I can never find the time to hear everything I already have, never mind what’s on my want list🙄

Doggone it, Pupster .... there are probably over 8000 multichannel Classical SACDs...and yes, most of them contain ambient rears....but there ARE those exceptions that truly dazzle [NOT that the ones containing ambience only..don't]...and are TRUE showcases for one's stereo system. And few, if any, are compressed.

See the source image

And NO, I'm not the Pizza Man!

Last edited:
I just watched the latest video, Mike, and apart from the usual thanks for bringing mch music discussion to Youtube, I want to wish you all the best for whatever comes next for you in life as it sounds like you're in the process of dealing with some tough challenges - and that's not even including staying alive when you're on tour! Seriously, thanks and good luck with those challenges :)

Recording Acoustic Guitar (on a budget)

Not a Life in Surround video, per se, but discusses surround music production, so I think it's fair to post here.
This is my artist channel, so, even if you've subscribed to LiS, please consider subscribing here as well, so you can be in the loop for the next album!

The vast majority of titles listed hold no interest for me. The pop ones are more of a draw, but the random-seeming ones.
I do have quite a few though, and not just pop. When a title gets recommended here, for instance, I'm often willing to at least audition the music via streaming, if available.
Maybe I should audition that list!

I'll start with Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock

May the 4th be with you all. See if you can spot all the Star Wars nicknacks!

U.K. Night After Night 5.1 Album Review:

GREAT overview of Night After Night, Mike and agree that Bob Clearmountain certainly performed a remarkable surround mix and like the way in which you aptly demonstrated the location of the instruments and vocals within the mix.

Throw out a request, Ralphie! <3

I did mention Canada's Songlines Jazz line of superbly recorded, some discrete, mch SACDs but some of their output might be a little too avant garde for a majority of listeners [TOO far OUT .... Man].

As your [silent] producer, I would, though, advise you to utilize a few different camera angles when doing longer reviews to spice things up a bit. I know it's difficult when you're a ONE MAN OPERATION ..... but then again, Mike, VARIETY IS THE SPICE of LIFE! Attention spans seem to wane when you're sitting in the same position.....so a few different angles [read: perspectives] might just do the trick! And those cutaways, you employ, are fine examples!

Otherwise, you're doing an excellent job ........... keeping the flame of surround music ALIVE and WELL. We need all the help we can get ... and thanks for those life preservers!

Last edited:
May the 4th be with you all. See if you can spot all the Star Wars nicknacks!

U.K. Night After Night 5.1 Album Review:

Loved your review Mike, thought it was very fair and informative. Really enjoyed the slides of the mix layout; maybe do that some more.

As far as Holdsworth, he's definitely a hard acquired taste; I like some of his music, but some just leaves me flat. One of my favorite tracks by him is "Tokyo Dream" on the Road Games album.

Curious to hear how those drums are represented.
Because of your wonderful review, I'm going to seek this one out and give it a try (a Clearmountain mix doesn't hurt either.)

I did mention Canada's Songlines Jazz line of superbly recorded, some discrete, mch SACDs but some of their output might be a little too avant garde for a majority of listeners [TOO far OUT .... Man].
The rules, this time, are requests for widely-held gems of our beloved hobby! I'll make time for more obscure stuff soon, but I'd like to do a few knock-outs!

Back