Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Music in Atmos - Worst to Best

Albums discussed:
Sgt Pepper's - The Beatles
Live in Madrid - Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock
The Dolby Atmos Experience - Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
RPWL - A New Dawn
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Roger Waters - The Wall Live
Metallica - Through the Never
Booka Shade - Galvany Street
INXS - Kick 30th Anniversary
Kraftwerk - Numbers (The Catalogue)
R.E.M. Automatic for the People (AFtP)

More info, including links to Atmos music lists, in video description.

Last edited:

Albums discussed:
RPWL - A New Dawn

I often overlook something rather central to my topic... This time, I forgot to mention one of my favorite Atmos albums to date (it was hiding in my Auro pile)!
2L's Mass for Modern Man. It has both 11.1 Atmos and 9.1 Auro-3D, the only disc I know of with both (there may be others).

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/136.html

I often overlook something rather central to my topic... This time, I forgot to mention one of my favorite Atmos albums to date (it was hiding in my Auro pile)!
2L's Mass for Modern Man. It has both 11.1 Atmos and 9.1 Auro-3D, the only disc I know of with both (there may be others).

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/136.html

Looks like one I need to check out Mike;
It won:
Best Surround Sound Album 60th GRAMMY Nominee
Best Engineered Album, Classical 60th GRAMMY Nominee
Producer of the Year, Classical 60th GRAMMY Nominee
And also comes with Hybrid SACD and Pure Audio Blu-ray- 2.0 LPCM 192/24; 5.1 DTS HDMA 192/24.

Looks like one I need to check out Mike;
It won:
Best Surround Sound Album 60th GRAMMY Nominee
Best Engineered Album, Classical 60th GRAMMY Nominee
Producer of the Year, Classical 60th GRAMMY Nominee
And also comes with Hybrid SACD and Pure Audio Blu-ray- 2.0 LPCM 192/24; 5.1 DTS HDMA 192/24.

Pupsta, here's a link to Deep Discount. 15% off coupon OCEAN expires MONDAY [7/1] @ 5pm [central time] https://www.deepdiscount.com/kleibe...le-kleiberg-mass-for-modern-man/7041888522720

Albums discussed:
RPWL - A New Dawn

Mike, finally got the chance to watch your ATMOS/AURO video and IMO, you did a fantastic job. IMO, I know this is a music website but I read the movie reviews on Blu Ray.com daily and methinks the BEST mixes in ATMOS today are created for movies by academy award winning sound engineers. Since a lot of UHD 4k discs sporting ATMOS soundtracks are available today for MUCH less than music only ATMOS ones and more readily available, I would think that might make for a future Life In Surround video.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saving-Private-Ryan-4K-Blu-ray/200172/#Review [read the audio ATMOS review]

Mike, finally got the chance to watch your ATMOS/AURO video and IMO, you did a fantastic job. IMO, I know this is a music website but I read the movie reviews on Blu Ray.com daily and methinks the BEST mixes in ATMOS today are created for movies by academy award winning sound engineers. Since a lot of UHD 4k discs sporting ATMOS soundtracks are available today for MUCH less than music only ATMOS ones and more readily available, I would think that might make for a future Life In Surround video.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saving-Private-Ryan-4K-Blu-ray/200172/#Review [read the audio ATMOS review]
Can you give me your top 5?!

Example of the mix analysis in Life in Surround album reviews.
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood - Bitter Suite
Steven Wilson Remix 5.1 Blu-ray Audio

Miles Davis in Surround 1959 - 1992

Review of:
Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
The Collection (Audio Fidelity)
Tutu
Live at Montreux

Honorable mention:
Live/Evil
Definitive Montreux Collection

Killer! I'll leave some YouTube feedback for you (does that have a familiar ring to it?). Your graphics are again most helpful; somehow your Sketches of Spain graphic is labeled Tutu.

Oh! Shameless plug: I'm giving away a copy of the Sketches of Spain you review on this QQ thread.

I scored a Montreux box set last year for $76. My recollection is that the recordings are discrete! Sadly, still no picture on the telly, so I can't check for you. Ima keep praying that the picture comes back while I do research on what new tv to buy! Any hoo, keep up the great work--you did well with your assessment of BB! Straight from the heart! Stay Surrounded!

Killer! I'll leave some YouTube feedback for you (does that have a familiar ring to it?). Your graphics are again most helpful; somehow your Sketches of Spain graphic is labeled Tutu.

Oh! Shameless plug: I'm giving away a copy of the Sketches of Spain you review on this QQ thread.

I scored a Montreux box set last year for $76. My recollection is that the recordings are discrete! Sadly, still no picture on the telly, so I can't check for you. Ima keep praying that the picture comes back while I do research on what new tv to buy! Any hoo, keep up the great work--you did well with your assessment of BB! Straight from the heart! Stay Surrounded!

Clement, sorry to break the news ...but the picture on your TELLY ain't coming back. When my Panasonic Plasma TV died ....... it was indeed moribund. Unfortunately, NO reincarnation. Time to invest in a new TV!🔲

Back