Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The channel map illustrations are a really helpful addition in the videos Baggy... They look great!

Maybe you could have a word with the Arsenal FC squad so that we play a bit better this season?!

1BB55C59-6C3C-41F2-9973-6E5B21924062.jpeg

The channel map illustrations are a really helpful addition in the videos Baggy... They look great!

Maybe you could have a word with the Arsenal FC squad so that we play a bit better this season?!

View attachment 42228
Hey, I've got my San Jose Earthquakes to worry about!
I'm glad people are enjoying the mix diagrams. They're fun to do!

^^^Anybody going to make an offer on that Marillion FEAR blu-ray? Is it legit that Racket Records sent out replacements?

No way, San Jose! That’s a ridiculous price?! 😱 Great video though! I’m sure many a member on QQ knows what it’s like to go through... Hmmm, can I justify this?!

Lesson for the records labels is that they should just bloody reissue! Every resale is potential profit missed out by them... They should just sell online downloads...

No way, San Jose! That’s a ridiculous price?! 😱 Great video though! I’m sure many a member on QQ knows what it’s like to go through... Hmmm, can I justify this?!

Lesson for the records labels is that they should just bloody reissue! Every resale is potential profit missed out by them... They should just sell online downloads...
First of all, thanks for watching. Second, I'm really tempted to at least make an offer, but I don't know if the disc is legitimate and I'm also honestly really happy with the SACD!

First of all, thanks for watching. Second, I'm really tempted to at least make an offer, but I don't know if the disc is legitimate and I'm also honestly really happy with the SACD!

I don’t know that much about the title but $380 vs $15 - wow that would really have to be an impressive upgrade in the mix! 🤯 I don’t think I could ever justify it?!

It is a really interesting topic though... I guess what drives these things is supply and demand... The Eric Johnson title is a pretty bad sounding disc. It’s not the mix per se (great album) but certain aspects of the sound...Yet because of its rarity it goes for an inflated price... But there are some absolutely fantastic surround titles that can still be found for relatively good value... Thankfully! 🤗

I don’t know that much about the title but $380 vs $15 - wow that would really have to be an impressive upgrade in the mix! 🤯 I don’t think I could ever justify it?!
Agreed! But also, in the video, I point out someone on eBay selling a supposed official stand-alone for around $80. Still too much for me and not sure whether it's a knock-off or not!

IIRC, some listeners suspect folding of the fronts in to the center or something like that. But maybe they're just different mastering?
To my ears, at least, the SACD actually sounds pretty danged good!

the SACD is fine, i wouldn't waste your money on the BD.
(let me do it in the downtime waiting for the next DV bitchin' batch! 🤣

Enjoyed the video Mike. Keep on bringing it!

I've never heard the DVD-A of Ah Via Musicom but I would strongly recommend you take it off your list. Check out the first post on this link to the Steve Hoffman Forums. I don't need to say any more..

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/your-worst-dvd-a-nightmare-as-told-by-eric-johnson.2006/

"This will be just the tip of this surround sound remix iceberg." :rolleyes:

I've heard it, and IMO the biggest issue isn't so much that they used a few alternate takes and more that it sounds like an upmix...

"This will be just the tip of this surround sound remix iceberg." :rolleyes:

I've heard it, and IMO the biggest issue isn't so much that they used a few alternate takes and more that it sounds like an upmix...
We've all heard the nonconstructive criticisms of the "mono/stereo only" crowd more times than we care to. However, the surround naysayers notwithstanding, I agree with you, @sjcorne, that this particular version should have never seen the light of day.

Enjoyed the video Mike. Keep on bringing it!

I've never heard the DVD-A of Ah Via Musicom but I would strongly recommend you take it off your list. Check out the first post on this link to the Steve Hoffman Forums. I don't need to say any more..

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/your-worst-dvd-a-nightmare-as-told-by-eric-johnson.2006/

not that its not important (it is) but putting the artist not knowing what the label were doing with their music to one side for a moment, couple of funny things about that mini-thread, a.) the anti-surround/anti-remix people just couldn't help themselves but wade in and try to take over the conversation ("let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be..") they must've relished the opportunity of an artist disapproving of a remix to get the knives out and b.) the comment about that terrible MB DVD-A done without Varnals/Clarke's involvement when those guys mixed the f-in' Quad that's on the DTS CD in the first place!! ugh!!

as R. Derringer would say "seems like something's never change.." 🙄

bravo to JohnT though for sticking up for the surround crowd! hope he's still Quadding with us! looked to be active on the SHF as recently as 7/11/19! 👍

Back