Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we all have some fond memories of Tower Records. Tower Records in Japan recently released a spate of fantastic sounding ECM Stereo SACDs which unfortunately were only available from CDJapan through their PROXY service and from Acoustic Sounds in the US at almost double the list price. Example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEODAI-26058 [Acoustic Sounds]: https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=ECM+SACD

The Craig Chaquico new age record you're referring to was probably Acoustic Highway which was released by Higher Octave Music in 1993:

812bCOlSixL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks 4-ear, yah that's the one; also I'm on the hunt for that Bright Size Life SACD at a reasonable price (I can be patient!)
Cheers

Thanks 4-ear, yah that's the one; also I'm on the hunt for that Bright Size Life SACD at a reasonable price (I can be patient!)
Cheers

Unfortunately, JP, those Tower Record ECM SACDs are LIMITED. I did purchase Keith Jarrett's fantastic The Köln Concert SACD through CDJapan's PROXY service and they impose all kinds of fees and s/h charges so that $34.95 list SACD spirals to about $45~50. Acoustic Sounds will allow a 10% discount on their $59.95 prices [outrageous] which brings it down to $54 but you have to spend $99 for free s/h or else pay a ridiculous s/h charge. And I'm sure if you live in Japan, Tower Records probably has further sales on those SACDs which we are not privy to. I would buy all of the ECM Stereo SACDs but NOT at those outrageous prices......

Last edited:
Thank you Lute, that is also very beautiful, Kaori just crushes me for some reason. As far as Tower Records goes, I fondly remember visiting the original Towers in Sacramento many times and spending hours looking through everything. I miss them profoundly (thanks for Colin Hanks' wonderful documentary "All Things Must Pass" on Russ and the gang!) If you still reside in the Tokyo area, it is a true blessing to have one of these stores to still visit? I can recall one slow Saturday morning visiting the Watt Ave. store around 1992 and finding Craig Chaquico sitting in the back of the store playing acoustic guitar all by himself with no one paying much attention to him. I recognized him from his Jefferson Starship days and we talked for a few minutes; he was working on his new album which was more new age acoustic. He was very nice and approachable.
Seeing Kaori at a Tower performing would be very special indeed!
Cheers.
View attachment 37509
I watched All Things Must Pass a year or so ago. Yes, an excellent documentary with a very good overview of the record business. It was interesting to hear Elton John reminisce about spending hours there discovering so much music. I still go to the Tower stores here in Tokyo. The ones at Shibuya and Shinjuku stations are the best. I'm enjoying them while I can. And I'll keep an eye out for Kaori.;) However, it was at HMV's superstore in Shibuya that I remember discovering Craig Chaquico's solo albums back in the 90s. Their fabulous stores here are long since gone, though. Craig's collaboration with 3rd Force is wonderful, too.

I watched All Things Must Pass a year or so ago. Yes, an excellent documentary with a very good overview of the record business. It was interesting to hear Elton John reminisce about spending hours there discovering so much music. I still go to the Tower stores here in Tokyo. The ones at Shibuya and Shinjuku stations are the best. I'm enjoying them while I can. And I'll keep an eye out for Kaori.;) However, it was at HMV's superstore in Shibuya that I remember discovering Craig Chaquico's solo albums back in the 90s. Their fabulous stores here are long since gone, though. Craig's collaboration with 3rd Force is wonderful, too.

Brett, do you have the Silverline MLP DVD~A 5.1 disc of Inside the Music: New Age which has a cut by 3rd Force and Craig Chaquico in discrete 5.1? https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Music...6908240&sr=8-74&keywords=Silverline+DVD~Audio

I also watched the Tower Records Film ALL THINGS MUST PASS.....enjoyed it except it became a bit repetitive after awhile. A little judicious editing would've tightened it up, IMO.

So Brett, are you going to buy me ALL the Tower Records produced ECM SACDs [for my B~day on January 12th].........BTW, for the heck of it, what does Tower charge for the ECM Stereo SACDs and do they ever have sales on them?

Brett, do you have the Silverline MLP DVD~A 5.1 disc of Inside the Music: New Age which has a cut by 3rd Force and Craig Chaquico in discrete 5.1? https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Music-New-Various-Artists/dp/B00005U2J8/ref=sr_1_74?ie=UTF8&qid=1546908240&sr=8-74&keywords=Silverline+DVD~Audio

I also watched the Tower Records Film ALL THINGS MUST PASS.....enjoyed it except it became a bit repetitive after awhile. A little judicious editing would've tightened it up, IMO.

So Brett, are you going to buy me ALL the Tower Records produced ECM SACDs [for my B~day on January 12th].........BTW, for the heck of it, what does Tower charge for the ECM Stereo SACDs and do they ever have sales on them?
Happy Birthday, Ralphie!
Sure, I'll bring the complete ECM SACD set personally with a bottle of Dom Pérignon and some extra fresh sushi. LOL!!! :SG:QQlove

I suppose the retail price at Tower is the same as CDJapan's website, but they often have sales on selected items. And of course they have a point card system with special days selected for 10 or 15 times more points given on the whole purchase. I've picked up several D-V SACDs that way. At Disc Union you might even find some used ones in mint condition for much lower than retail if they haven't gone OOP.

Happy Birthday, Ralphie!
Sure, I'll bring the complete ECM SACD set personally with a bottle of Dom Pérignon and some extra fresh sushi. LOL!!! :SG:QQlove

I suppose the retail price at Tower is the same as CDJapan's website, but they often have sales on selected items. And of course they have a point card system with special days selected for 10 or 15 times more points given on the whole purchase. I've picked up several D-V SACDs that way. At Disc Union you might even find some used ones in mint condition for much lower than retail if they haven't gone OOP.

Gee, Brett WHAT A GUY. Only I'm not a fan of Dom Pérignon .... so grape juice will suffice [I'm a cheap date]. I'm still awaiting my size 12 hand knitted booties!:ROFLMAO:thought I forgot, heh?

BTW, do you have any of the ECM SACDs ...... and if so, could you recommend any?

I did receive my Pictures die 12 pianisten today from one of Amazon's third party vendors and they sent me a FREE Pentatone SACD [Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2 [Julia Fischer/Daniel Müller~Schott/Jonathan Gilad]

Will spin them both tonight but I thought is was so nice of them.

Last edited:
Gee, Brett WHAT A GUY. Only I'm not a fan of Dom Pérignon .... so grape juice will suffice [I'm a cheap date]. I'm still awaiting my size 12 hand knitted booties!:ROFLMAO:thought I forgot, heh?

BTW, do you have any of the ECM SACDs ...... and if so, could you recommend any?

I did receive my Pictures die 12 pianisten today from one of Amazon's third party vendors and they sent me a FREE Pentatone SACD [Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2 [Julia Fischer/Daniel Müller~Schott/Jonathan Gilad]

I could loan ya mine (when I was younger of course.)
mybootties.jpg

I could loan ya mine (when I was younger of course.)
View attachment 37522

JP, that was a running joke over at the old SA~CD.net between Brett and I [the booties, that is] which always was frowned upon by the high~bred 'classicists' on that site.

Cute dog but unfortunately one size doesn't fit all.

Will stick with the grape juice .... and the 'extra fresh' sushi....and the transcontinental stash of ECM SACDs! [LOL+]

Unfortunately, JP, those Tower Record ECM SACDs are LIMITED. I did purchase Keith Jarrett's fantastic The Köln Concert SACD through CDJapan's PROXY service and they impose all kinds of fees and s/h charges so that $34.95 list SACD spirals to about $45~50. Acoustic Sounds will allow a 10% discount on their $59.95 prices [outrageous] which brings it down to $54 but you have to spend $99 for free s/h or else pay a ridiculous s/h charge. And I'm sure if you live in Japan, Tower Records probably has further sales on those SACDs which we are not privy to. I would buy all of the ECM Stereo SACDs but NOT at those outrageous prices......

Just ordered this one, sealed, from a seller in Japan for $34 total!:p
BSL.jpg

Grape juice!!? What the...? :oops: Are you on the wagon or something? LOL!!!
Of course I know what kind of "Dom" guy you are, so before you start crackin' that whip I'm definitely gonna need something strong. :ROFLMAO: I'll be bringing some hot Japanese sake!! :love:

It's kind of embarrassing to admit but... no, I don't have any of those ECM SACDs. I guess I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the Yellow Tower.

I'm glad to see the Pupster picked one up at a reasonable price. (y) Well done!

Grape juice!!? What the...? :oops: Are you on the wagon or something? LOL!!!
Of course I know what kind of "Dom" guy you are, so before you start crackin' that whip I'm definitely gonna need something strong. :ROFLMAO: I'll be bringing some hot Japanese sake!! :love:

It's kind of embarrassing to admit but... no, I don't have any of those ECM SACDs. I guess I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the Yellow Tower.

I'm glad to see the Pupster picked one up at a reasonable price. (y) Well done!

Love me some Funk, even in the form of Disco, they're like brother and sister!:love:

Love me some Funk, even in the form of Disco, they're like brother and sister!:love:
Oh yeah! You can't beat 70s grooves. There is a disco here in Tokyo that plays real honest-to goodness Disco music from back in the day. Even though I don't know half of what's being played, it's all fantastic to shake your booty to. :QQlove

OMG
Still get a sense of Awe listening to this just like the first time I heard it!
Considering how damn good this sounds and the equipment they had back then to record it with:eek:
Thank god for the fifth Beatle - Sir George Martin!:love:
I tried to find something to listen to after this and drew a blank; everything else just seems second rate.

We neeeed this in surround Now!!!
ABBEY ROAD.jpg

Back