Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1565760261481.png

and it's contagious . . . :D

Bluesy Burrell - SACD
https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Burrell-With-Coleman-Hawkins-Bluesy-Burrell/release/13999200
OK, after waiting years for this one to get released, I'm enjoying it, but I've a couple of gripes about it.
This was mastered by Kevin Gray for Analogue Productions.
Some of the songs are much louder overall than others. Also, it sounds like it should be a Coleman Hawkins album rather than Kenny's; because Kenny's guitar and the rest of the band is way too far back in the mix, with Hawkins' sax blasting in comparison. Now I realize that a sax in a real life situation is generally much louder than that early guitar sound (even if amplified), but this is almost jarring in some songs. It does not sound right to me!

Edit*- To be fair, this could be respecting the era and genre from which it came; as I'm sure Mr. GRAY is much more knowledgeable about that sort of thing than I.

BB.jpg

Last edited:
Mellow and Latin Jazz from guitarist Jaime Valle in his Stereo SACD Round Midnight on Top Music.

CTOP_1013_SA__15957__01152009113656-172.jpg

Top Music 1013SACD

I'm confused on this one, sure it's not the AVR doing the up-mixing?
I'm confused, too! But that's my M.O. When I play it through my Sony UHP X800, the AVR plays it as 2.0. Maybe there's a setting on the Oppo to play 2.0 discs at 5.1 that the previous owner turned on. Whoa, Norah Jones is singing "Wild Horses" now! Whew!

Back