Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Carpenters: The Singles 1969-1973

R-9009206-1494325957-8699.jpeg.jpg

Analogue Productions knocked this one out of the ballpark ...... The Stereo SACD sounds awesome!

Agreed!

I'm primarily a rock/metal guy, but this is one of my top 3 albums of all time. This is one of those special albums that can convey deep meaning for a lot of folks. More so if you were a young(ish) person back in the early 90's.

A shame we couldn't get a surround mix of this.

Marpow, how do you like the mono SACD of Hwy 61? I've bought 61 on 2ch LP, CD, Gold CD, mono LP, SACD (from 16 SACD box), mono CD and mono SACD.
Oh boy, hard question. There different, that's for sure. If you take Track 1, Like A Rolling Stone, the start with the hit on the snare drum comes middle instead of right.
I think with the many Mono vs Stereo discs that I have listened to the drums and bass always sound a little better on the mono's, like this one, BUT my DNA is more built for stereo and when listening I get into conflict about where the sound is coming from, it's mono, it just keeps coming the same I have to tell myself.
MOFI has a sale with Bob Dylan discs at $19.99 so I thought good idea to complete my MOFI Dylan collection.
I know I'm not really answering your question, the Mono is good, worth having, if I was having a cocktail party for instance I would probably use the Mono, or if I am out of the listening room doing the dishes or something probably the Mono, sitting in froont of my rig, I would use the stereo.
Hope that helps QL.

Filper, I assume that is the 1/2 speed LP. How is it?

That's a version I never bought. I did buy the LP, MoFi Silver CD, Classic DVD-A and 2 CD expanded.

Marpow, I feel the same way as you regarding what versions I would listen to. Being a completist and a big Dylan fan, I needed to get the mono SACD's.

My preference is:
1- surround
2- 2ch
3- mono
for any material EXCEPT if the rears are artificial or screwed up.

Back in the day, I stopped buying any LP in mono in '64. That was about the time we got stereo at home.

Yes, if I'm running around the house doing chores, I won't play a surround disc. If I have it in mono, that's usually the time I'll play that version.

As I recall, Ballad of a Thin Man in mono has some distinct diffences from the 2ch version.

OK, so I bought this one several years ago and was underwhelmed (now I know because my Pioneer/JBL setup did not sound as sweet as my current Marantz/Polk Audio one) and I either traded it or sold it, can't remember.. but, I changed my mind and I got it again...Never get tired of this in spite of having listened to it zillions of times!
LOTS of rear action in DTS NEURAL X!!!
R-2587105-1319930928.jpeg.jpg

Back