Listening to Now In SACD Surround (or 3 Channel Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the MFSL, Clint? I've been looking for a reasonably priced one but will hold off now for the AF.

Actually it's the Sony/Columbia version...some people think the MFSL is better but believe me this version is excellent...HERE there is no reason that the AF surround version shouldn't be outstanding...it has that "warm" vinyl sound to it...

Last edited:
Actually it's the Sony/Columbia version...some people think the MFSL is better but believe me this version is excellent...HERE there is no reason that the AF surround version shouldn't be outstanding...it has that "warm" vinyl sound to it...

It's hard to go wrong with the Blood, Sweat & Tears album on Stereo SACD. The condition of the master tapes is obviously excellent as the Sony and Mobile Fidelity Stereo SACDs are both excellent and very close in terms of sound quality. On my system, the MFSL might have a very slight edge but not enough for anyone with the Sony SACD of BS&T to worry about not having the MFSL SACD.

The preview copy of the 4.0 BS&T Multichannel SACD I have here sounds great over headphones and a new Stereo Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) with DSD-64 and DSD-128 playback that I'm reviewing. So it's definitely worth buying for the Stereo SACD tracks alone - not to mention getting the Multichannel as a bonus. I think people will be raving about it at release - once they stop talking about that Best of Guess Who Multichannel SACD! :)

Actually you have a choice of mono or 5.1..I had trouble getting the 5.1 on my old Pioneer Elite..but the Oppo has no problem at all check this out
Even if I play the 5.1 I get mono for all the music. The only stereo effects involves vehicles. If you are hearing stereo on any of the music which songs would that be?

I know you have to select the 5.1 since it defaults to mono. I play all movies in stereo since my movie system is stereo only and the players downmix 5.1 to stereo.

Although this is a 2ch/mono thread, a couple comments are in order. I don't own the MoFi 2ch SACD's of CTA & JT. I do own the 5.1 SACD of JT, as well as the Quadio and SQ of CTA, along with a MoFI 1/2 speed LP and a CBS Mastersound Gold CD of CTA. Both these albums are FANTASTIC surround mixes, and not to be missed.

There are approximately 20,000 CD's and 5,000 LP's in my collection, plus about 1000 surround mixes. My favorite song in my entire collection is Beginnings off CTA. Your Smiling Face and Honey Don't Leave LA off JT are very high on the list, as well.

The MoFi SACD of Notorious Byrd Brothers is mono on the SACD layer of the original album, but 2ch on the bonus tracks. The MoFi SACD of Mr. Tambourine Man also has mono mixes with 2ch bonus tracks. IMHO, either NBB or Sweetheart of the Rodeo are the best Byrds albums. BTW: the AF Gold CD of Younger Than Yesterday is also mono. IMHO, the remastered/expanded 2ch CD of NBB sounds better than the mono SACD.

Super Session SACD Hybrid surround
What an improvement from the original
The surround rocks!

This thread will allow SACD fans to share what you're listening to today from the world of Super Audio CD (SACD) Surround Sound (or 3 Channel Stereo).

This thread will allow SACD and DSD fans to share what you're listening to today from the world of Super Audio CD (SACD) or Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Downloads in Surround Sound (or 3 Channel Stereo).

There are so many different threads on here pertaining to listening to different formats I need a travel guide sometimes...I wish it would have been a simplistic approach...like "what you are listening to"...whether it be CD's..downloads... SACD's...DVD-A..Blu Ray or anything...sometimes instead of searching out the right thread I just don't post what I'm listening to because I don't want to go thru the search mode...I think it makes it less spontaneous with all these different categories...

There are so many different threads on here pertaining to listening to different formats I need a travel guide sometimes...I wish it would have been a simplistic approach...like "what you are listening to"...whether it be CD's..downloads... SACD's...DVD-A..Blu Ray or anything...sometimes instead of searching out the right thread I just don't post what I'm listening to because I don't want to go thru the search mode...I think it makes it less spontaneous with all these different categories...

This one was set up for the Multichannel SACD discussions that were previously posted to the Listening to DSD Stereo/SACD Stereo thread. Just to keep messages separate and on point.

Amen...

Roxy Music - "Avalon"

Not sure why many would feel this not to be the best Roxy Music album overall. Especially, "The Main Thing" through "To Turn You On". :sounding soooo good in surround. A desert island surround disc, for sure. )

Last edited:
After watching the PBS documentary, I had to listen to some Heifetz (in 3ch):
Unknown.jpeg

After watching the PBS documentary, I had to listen to some Heifetz (in 3ch):

Speaking of Heifetz, did you see the review of Julia Fischer's performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Serenade Melancolique on PentaTone Classics SACD and DSD Download?
Reviewer Brian Smith says:

"For 50 years the Heifetz/Reiner recording has been the standard. Therefore, I am pleased to say that Heifetz needs to move over; this performance is fantastic and the recording is as good as you can get. This is a great recording and purchase - easily one of the Top Ten for 2006 or any other year."

Heifetz "needs to move over"?!

Julia Fischer - Tchaik Violin Concerto - PTC5186095 - 600w.jpg

https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/tchaikovsky-violin-concerto-serenade-melancolique

Back