Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And TWO NEW multichannel SACD PLANETS to choose from:

91IeRHCmUZL._SL1500_.jpg

61Du7XcwkxL._SL1200_.jpg
Any idea which ones better surround?.

Interesting! I don't think I have that one.

I was rather annoyed Pentatone announced and then cancelled a quad SACD of the complete Mozart quintets done by Grumiaux et al, but I suspect it may have been a tape problem. Edit to add: you can see it listed here, with the 4th quintet excluded: https://web.archive.org/web/20160305055514/http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases.
Ubertrout introduced me to the Auryn series (for which I am eternally grateful!) and I have managed to get most of them (including the Mozart C minor). Many thanks for the upcoming!

These string quartets / quintets have exceptional surround sound, like you are in the middle of the group -- can't get enough of them, and they make very relaxing morning music ;).

Any idea which ones better surround?.
I have the BIS, not the RR (not sure it's out yet). There's also a good one on Chandos out recently with the English National Youth Orchestra. None of them are/will be that active surround-wise. In fact, although there are 20 versions of The Planets in Multichannel, none of them are real multichannel sensations (if Sony hadn't neutered the Bernstein quad on SACD it might be a different story). It's not often mentioned, but this is good and is super-cheap used (audio is 24/97 I believe):

71OGNX6wniL._SL500_.jpg

Tomita's PLANETS is _very_ multichannel but electronic, of course (and indeed Holst's daughter really objected to it).

Regardless, it is great! The Ultimate edition is the one to get (5.1 I thought, but another reviewer says 4.0 -- no matter, your decoders should have it in every speaker).

https://www.amazon.com/Planets-Ultimate-ISAO-TOMITA/dp/B004RRVB1Y

Last edited:
I have the BIS, not the RR (not sure it's out yet). There's also a good one on Chandos out recently with the English National Youth Orchestra. None of them are/will be that active surround-wise. In fact, although there are 20 versions of The Planets in Multichannel, none of them are real multichannel sensations (if Sony hadn't neutered the Bernstein quad on SACD it might be a different story). It's not often mentioned, but this is good and is super-cheap used (audio is 24/97 I believe):

71OGNX6wniL._SL500_.jpg

I of course only have the Bernstein PLANETS SACD in 'aborted' SONY mch surround [?] but am hoping D~V resurrects the DISCRETE QUAD from the vaults. BTW, ubertrout, how is the BIS Planets with the Enigma Variations?

I of course only have the Bernstein PLANETS SACD in 'aborted' SONY mch surround [?] but am hoping D~V resurrects the DISCRETE QUAD from the vaults. BTW, ubertrout, how is the BIS Planets with the Enigma Variations?
It's really solid. Not everyone likes the pacing but I do, and the combo is really nice. I hate the "ecopak" BIS is using now though.

It's really solid. Not everyone likes the pacing but I do, and the combo is really nice. I hate the "ecopak" BIS is using now though.

Besides the 'fun' Tomita version, I really wish a fully discrete orchestral version of the PLANETS would finally reach fruition. So many possibilities. I've never heard the Bernstein QUAD fully decoded but wonder if that would eventually fit the bill?

I'm sure the Reference Recording PLANETS would sound sensational. We'll soon find out.

Am currently listening to RR's BRUCKNER's NINTH SYMPHONY conducted by Manfred Honeck and in a word SENSATIONAL.

71t2eOvqOZL._SL1500_.jpg

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor

Last edited:
Besides the 'fun' Tomita version, I really wish a fully discrete orchestral version of the PLANETS would finally reach fruition. So many possibilities. I've never heard the Bernstein QUAD fully decoded but wonder if that would eventually fit the bill?

I'm sure the Reference Recording PLANETS would sound sensational. We'll soon find out.

Am currently listening to RR's BRUCKNER's NINTH SYMPHONY conducted by Manfred Honeck and in a word SENSATIONAL.

71t2eOvqOZL._SL1500_.jpg

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor
I'm really excited for that one - the first movement of the Bruckner 9th is one of my favorite bits of music and needs the space surround provides.

George McCrae 5.1 Pure Audio Blu-ray - Thank You, edisonbaggins for mentioning this disc a while back; I bought it based on a comment you made and it's fantastic! Great tunes and surround mix... this "old school" soul just feels good :)
Hell yes, right?! So dumb that I waited so long!

Back