Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this looking through the polls

1571771116531.png
Olu Dara Neighborhoods

Let's go! Let's go! Griot sing/talk flow!

This is sublime
https://store.maxcooper.net/products/emergence-atmos-edition-blu-ray
Deff Atmos reference.

This will get lots of plays.

So much to watch and listen to.

A very clever, thoughtful, piece of musical art.
EMERGENCE - No one can hear you scream in space!
But I just got done listening to this and my mind screamed several times "OH HELL YES!"

Combined with the stunning visuals this music opens up your mind and allows it to run with ideas and avenues of creative thought. We have been so programmed over decades with the bombardment of Pop music, that it's important to break those bonds and think more eclectically in order to grasp the brilliance of this title. My belief is that this sort of experience is also great in order to keep our brains more active and seeing things from a different perspective. What we as humans experience day to day is only a fraction of activity that goes on all around us, especially in the microscopic/molecular levels (where the real action is.) For instance as gardeners; folks like @beerking and myself are reminded of how important the world of microorganisms are to the soil that grows our food. It's not just dirt, it's full of life that we rarely see or pay attention to. Is it really that easy to grow, say, potatoes on another planet like Mars? I have my doubts due to the symbiotics of our planet's microorganisms.
Another thought I had was how sound needs substance (air) or other, in order to travel through to another location. So how does that affect hearing music at sea level as opposed to someone listening at high altitudes like Denver CO. or even higher; is more power output needed to receive the same volume levels?

While watching this, I really wanted to get inside the visuals via something like a VR headset, in order to be fully enveloped and take this on properly given the music that accompanies it.
I consider this more Techno/Electronic than something like New Age music. I wondered if the artist had absorbed some influence from Amin Bhatia. I am only able to listen to this in 5.1; and as good as that is, I also felt I could be missing out on a lot of aural 3D effects that would come out in a true Atmos environment.

If I was a Sci-Fi movie producer I believe I'd also want to hire Max Cooper to work on the alien landscapes and visuals - you know like:
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

The music does vary somewhat with each track; for example while listening to track 3 "Waves" I thought it might be a nice vehicle for a great singing performance by someone like Seal.

This Blu-ray title is a good example of the possibilities I've been envisioning for the format - visuals tied in with the music. Hopefully it's just a small taste of what's to come from this format.
I don't know anything about Max Cooper, but now I intend to find out.

*** A possible word of caution- given the intensity of the visuals, if you believe you or someone in your household may be affected by Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE) go forth carefully with this one.
Like you guys I have a wide taste in music(it has to be well done technically & musically), so after reading the comments I've ordered a copy :D

AWB : Average White Band

if (and its still an if until its up for pre-order in my book and even then..) after they bestow unto us the magnificent Doobie Quadio boxsettio, them there Rhinoceroshandmadebumboclaats were to liberate only one more Quad mastertape from the vaults.... please to all fudgery let it be this one 🙏 🥰

"got the love, got the love.."

Well, since you are holding a pair of Claptons, Ima log in and me see ya

View attachment 43645

Looks like I have a Full Sail . . . might this be the end of my Audio Fidelity Must Hears?!
Well, if you have every quad / 4.0 and 5.1 SACD that they released, then yes you might have all the must hears. Some were better than others, but no duds that I can recall. But yes, Full Sail is one of their 10s for sure.

EMERGENCE - No one can hear you scream in space!
But I just got done listening to this and my mind screamed several times "OH HELL YES!"

Combined with the stunning visuals this music opens up your mind and allows it to run with ideas and avenues of creative thought. We have been so programmed over decades with the bombardment of Pop music, that it's important to break those bonds and think more eclectically in order to grasp the brilliance of this title. My belief is that this sort of experience is also great in order to keep our brains more active and seeing things from a different perspective. What we as humans experience day to day is only a fraction of activity that goes on all around us, especially in the microscopic/molecular levels (where the real action is.) For instance as gardeners; folks like @beerking and myself are reminded of how important the world of microorganisms are to the soil that grows our food. It's not just dirt, it's full of life that we rarely see or pay attention to. Is it really that easy to grow, say, potatoes on another planet like Mars? I have my doubts due to the symbiotics of our planet's microorganisms.
Another thought I had was how sound needs substance (air) or other, in order to travel through to another location. So how does that affect hearing music at sea level as opposed to someone listening at high altitudes like Denver CO. or even higher; is more power output needed to receive the same volume levels?

While watching this, I really wanted to get inside the visuals via something like a VR headset, in order to be fully enveloped and take this on properly given the music that accompanies it.
I consider this more Techno/Electronic than something like New Age music. I wondered if the artist had absorbed some influence from Amin Bhatia. I am only able to listen to this in 5.1; and as good as that is, I also felt I could be missing out on a lot of aural 3D effects that would come out in a true Atmos environment.

If I was a Sci-Fi movie producer I believe I'd also want to hire Max Cooper to work on the alien landscapes and visuals - you know like:
"Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

The music does vary somewhat with each track; for example while listening to track 3 "Waves" I thought it might be a nice vehicle for a great singing performance by someone like Seal.

This Blu-ray title is a good example of the possibilities I've been envisioning for the format - visuals tied in with the music. Hopefully it's just a small taste of what's to come from this format.
I don't know anything about Max Cooper, but now I intend to find out.

*** A possible word of caution- given the intensity of the visuals, if you believe you or someone in your household may be affected by Photosensitive Epilepsy (PSE) go forth carefully with this one.

See the source image

PUPSTER, the ULTIMATE FATE of whether QQ posters who plucked down their hard earned £, Pesos, Euros, Yen and dollars in celebration of your RAVE REVIEW of EMERGENCE actually enjoy it ........ LIES WITH YOU!

Or, will it turn out to be a GIANT

See the source image

Last edited:
Well, if you have every quad / 4.0 and 5.1 SACD that they released, then yes you might have all the must hears. Some were better than others, but no duds that I can recall. But yes, Full Sail is one of their 10s for sure.
I do NOT have Best of Doors (have Blu-Ray instead), Jeff Beck Group (have Japanese 7" instead), Judy Collins (haven't found it yet), and Alice Cooper (haven't found it yet). I know the first two would make my Must Hear list, but there is no need for me to purchase the Audio Fidelity releases since I have discs that QQ polls tell me may be better sonically. I have a feeling the last two will make the cut if I ever find them. So that leaves three Audio Fidelity discs that I own, but I've yet to decide on. Dylan might make it because of the historical significance of the release. New York Voices is freaking Elliot Scheiner! Mannheim Steamroller . . . I think that one may be one and done for me; I mean it's super discrete and sounds crisp and clean, but my recollection is that it just didn't strike me as a breath of Fresh Aire. Here's the poll that inspired me to revisit my Audio Fidelities. It was a fun and rewarding foray into the world of surround.

Getting near the end of my Audio Fidelity Must Hears:

View attachment 43641 Loggins And Messina eponymous

is it their debut (first album credited to Kenny Loggins with Jim Messina) or their sophomore effort? either way, for me it's a Must Hear!
Angry eyes was always one of my favorite long guitar jam songs back in the FM radio days. Outlaws - Green grass and high tides was another

I do NOT have Best of Doors (have Blu-Ray instead), Jeff Beck Group (have Japanese 7" instead), Judy Collins (haven't found it yet), and Alice Cooper (haven't found it yet). I know the first two would make my Must Hear list, but there is no need for me to purchase the Audio Fidelity releases since I have discs that QQ polls tell me may be better sonically. I have a feeling the last two will make the cut if I ever find them. So that leaves three Audio Fidelity discs that I own, but I've yet to decide on. Dylan might make it because of the historical significance of the release. New York Voices is freaking Elliot Scheiner! Mannheim Steamroller . . . I think that one may be one and done for me; I mean it's super discrete and sounds crisp and clean, but my recollection is that it just didn't strike me as a breath of Fresh Aire. Here's the poll that inspired me to revisit my Audio Fidelities. It was a fun and rewarding foray into the world of surround.

Not to mention, Clement, Sly & The Family Stones Greatest 'freakin' HITS. And since you L❤VE Laura Nyro [like I do] you have to locate Judy Collins Greatest Hits [although, IMO, there are many omissions]. I have almost ALL of the AF SACDs [except for Winelight/Mannheim Steamroller ... which I have on DVD~A] and cherish them all. I've seen the Dylan LIVE Bootleg 2 disc SACD for as little as $20 [$60 list] and love it for the inclusion of a few tracks by Joan Baez and although it's only ambience in the rears ..... great performances, nonetheless in crystal clear sonics. BTW, New York Voices is stunning ...... made even more so by Elliot Scheiner's brilliant 5.1 remix.

Last edited:
Back