Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Benson
Songs and Stories

Man this is so cool.
I cannot give this release anymore praise.
His voice
The music
The mix

Pity the Monster boys stopped their releases prematurely.
Every one I have has all the right things in all the right places.

Ooh I'm plugging again!!:unsure::)(y)
(cheque in the post?)

Discogs info:
https://www.discogs.com/George-Benson-Songs-And-Stories/release/3642071

Dorothee Munyaneza

Suburb mix on this one off....

What ever happened to Martin Russell? He was the main man behind this project and owns luminary records. He started to post way back in 2010 but all quiet since?
This release is still for sale here:
http://www.luminary-records.com/index.html

Still here - I just popped by now because I suddenly received two orders for the Dorothee album in the space of 20 minutes this evening (!) and wondered if this had been triggered by some activity on the forum here.

To explain: Dorothee's album release, such as it was, coincided with the relaunch in 2010 of Afro Celt Sound System, which had been my 'day job' and as an original core member required a lot of my time to get re-started - there was a double best-of album to assemble and remaster and re-tooling for resumption of live work. I had got a distribution deal lined up with Proper in the UK for the Dorothee album, but then asked to put it on hold until I could give an official release my full attention after ACSS was under way. We agreed that I'd meanwhile sell it to the surround community off my own bat, which I proceeded to do. Dorothee eventually appeared as a live vocal guest with ACSS a while into the band's touring so I asked to invoke the distribution deal, whereupon Proper told me that I'd have to take down the amazon page via which I'd sold a few copies and which was hosting a few reviews, some of them originating from members of this very forum... this turned into a sticking point. I felt they were now displaying the 'body language' of no longer being very interested in the project (despite Dorothee's appearing with ACSS and there now being a story promotion-wise) so I decided not to go with them and to look elsewhere for distribution. A few months later I had to take over the management of the band (as I'd invested some money in the re-launch and no-one was going to step up and get me my money back), which, added to my existing responsibilities, became all-consuming, and Luminary Records stayed on the back-burner.

Cut to a few years further on, and I got embroiled in a very nasty legal situation after a departed band member trademarked the band name behind everyone's back - initially it was a clear-cut IP situation, but he was backed by a multi-millionare and represented by a particularly aggressive law firm, who proceeded to 'widen the scope of the case', which lasted for just under two years. My fellow band-mate and I had to become litigants in person after our money ran out, which meant being on deck 24/7 to react to whatever legal stuff was happening, and being unable to work on anything else. Inevitably the wheels came off financially for me and I ended up having to move myself and my studio out of London. Getting re-established has taken quite a while - I'm almost at the end of converting a barn building into a studio / musical HQ, but as I've been doing literally everything myself it's been a slow process and the motivation bus hasn't always arrived... the studio will combine my 5.1 setup and my stereo setup into the one space, which will mean being able to re-commence working in surround on an everyday basis. I can't wait to get back to making music again after a number of years away from it!

Long answer to a short question (sorry), but the fire is still burning and there will eventually be surround activity once again.

All the best, Martin

Still here - I just popped by now because I suddenly received two orders for the Dorothee album in the space of 20 minutes this evening (!) and wondered if this had been triggered by some activity on the forum here.
Yes, the sales were triggered here. I was one of the purchasers. I don't do many Amazon reviews, but I'd be happy to review the 5.1 mix on my YouTube channel Life in Surround.
I look forward to hearing it. I liked the track I tried on YouTube a lot.
Cool of you to stop by. Sorry about your troubles.

Last edited:
Wow Martin, what a nightmare. Getting stabbed by friends is the worst thing in the world, especially when it goes to legal resolutions and lawyers and all that crap.
That really sucks.

Glad you survived. Hope you can re-establish Luminary and move forward, surround or stereo. Glad to see you're back and anything this forum can do to support you, we will do. You are a valued member here without question.

To explain: Dorothee's album release, such as it was, coincided with the relaunch in 2010 of Afro Celt Sound System, which had been my 'day job' and as an original core member required a lot of my time to get re-started - there was a double best-of album to assemble and remaster and re-tooling for resumption of live work. I had got a distribution deal lined up with Proper in the UK for the Dorothee album, but then asked to put it on hold until I could give an official release my full attention after ACSS was under way. We agreed that I'd meanwhile sell it to the surround community off my own bat, which I proceeded to do. Dorothee eventually appeared as a live vocal guest with ACSS a while into the band's touring so I asked to invoke the distribution deal, whereupon Proper told me that I'd have to take down the amazon page via which I'd sold a few copies and which was hosting a few reviews, some of them originating from members of this very forum... this turned into a sticking point. I felt they were now displaying the 'body language' of no longer being very interested in the project (despite Dorothee's appearing with ACSS and there now being a story promotion-wise) so I decided not to go with them and to look elsewhere for distribution. A few months later I had to take over the management of the band (as I'd invested some money in the re-launch and no-one was going to step up and get me my money back), which, added to my existing responsibilities, became all-consuming, and Luminary Records stayed on the back-burner.

Cut to a few years further on, and I got embroiled in a very nasty legal situation after a departed band member trademarked the band name behind everyone's back - initially it was a clear-cut IP situation, but he was backed by a multi-millionare and represented by a particularly aggressive law firm, who proceeded to 'widen the scope of the case', which lasted for just under two years. My fellow band-mate and I had to become litigants in person after our money ran out, which meant being on deck 24/7 to react to whatever legal stuff was happening, and being unable to work on anything else. Inevitably the wheels came off financially for me and I ended up having to move myself and my studio out of London. Getting re-established has taken quite a while - I'm almost at the end of converting a barn building into a studio / musical HQ, but as I've been doing literally everything myself it's been a slow process and the motivation bus hasn't always arrived... the studio will combine my 5.1 setup and my stereo setup into the one space, which will mean being able to re-commence working in surround on an everyday basis. I can't wait to get back to making music again after a number of years away from it!

Long answer to a short question (sorry), but the fire is still burning and there will eventually be surround activity once again.

All the best, Martin

Chalk up another sale to Snoooooooooooooooooood :QQlove Looking forward to it :LB

All the best, Martin

Hi Martin,
So nice of you to drop by and say hello again. What a nightmare journey you have been through. Trust in people is always a test for all of us. Without it where are we? All I can say is, I hope that it wont be long before you are making great music again, in whatever format. As once that passion is rekindled you will have a dedicated band of followers right here. The good people on this site Martin, will provide all the support they can, to get you back to where you want to be.
Best Wishes
Mike (aka beerking)

Right back to the music...

Which is ...

The Main Ingredient
Euphrates River

My first Vocalion purchase!!

Michael, doesn't it feel swell supporting a dying industry.......yep SACD was declared moribund 10 years ago!

211138_980.jpg

Michael, doesn't it feel swell supporting a dying industry.......yep SACD was declared moribund 10 years ago!

Fort me dear old departed mum was in the room, reading Michael..only she would insist on calling me by the name she gave me..no nicknames or shortening!! Ohh I'm gettin all melanchony.

It sure does Ralph. With our passion we are more than happy to support those who excel in this art.

Last edited:
Dorothee Munyaneza

Superb mix on this one off....

What ever happened to Martin Russell? He was the main man behind this project and owns luminary records. He started to post way back in 2010 but all quiet since?
This release is still for sale here:
http://www.luminary-records.com/index.html
Thanks for heads up, Mike! I've been looking for this title for a while, but I didn't even know it was on sale at record label own site.:) Ordered! :LB

Back