Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is singing in Norwegian " I have nothing, but when I have you I have everything. I am glistening to this now on the sacd in surround with the world's finest purple you have ever seen. Warning this combo in the sweet spot with the opposite sex will result in pregnancy. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>View attachment 40437

I soooooo need a different job. I can't even partake medicinally...

OK, let me take you to surround school. Ten Years After, my favorite band, well one of them. Anytime there is a thread that says list you favorite for surround I always say TYA the Chryralis years.
A Space In Time has much controversy, about Alvin Lee's vocals in rears. They are wrong.
This 4.0 (no center) is beautiful. Stop listening to the vocals and put your mind into the Quad scene, also listen to all of TYA albums and figure where the band was coming from, lots of sounds moving all over stereo with all there albums. Listen to Stonedhenge, it will blow your mind.
Listen to the music and you will not even care about Lee's vocals, true 4.0 bliss. Now that we know Alvin is primarily in the rears, his vocals also echo to the fronts. I saw TYA at Winterland in San Francisco on the Space In Time tour, as usual I dropped acid and don't remember much except I was happy the whole concert and the lights shining on Alvin while I was in the balcony.
This DVD-A which comes in an LP box set is so out of print I can't even find it.
If you have it I challenge you to listen with the view point of a great 4.0 release and listen for Alvin's vocals to be rear while fading front, very enjoyable.
Please release all Chrysalis TYA in surround, I'll buy two. And you doubters, open your minds to the stereo releases of TYA and then this one and only 4.0, guranteed you will get it.

Listen to the music and you will not even care about Lee's vocals, true 4.0 bliss. Now that we know Alvin is primarily in the rears, his vocals also echo to the fronts.

The quad mix as presented on the DVD is incorrect, I guarantee you. It was not meant to be heard with the vocals in the rears. The SQ LP, Q8, and reel all have the vocals in the front and the drums in the back. You need to rip this disc and flip front/rear.

The quad mix as presented on the DVD is incorrect, I guarantee you. It was not meant to be heard with the vocals in the rears. The SQ LP, Q8, and reel all have the vocals in the front and the drums in the back. You need to rip this disc and flip front/rear.
So that said, what do you think? Do the vocals rear bother you that much and is the music minus the vocals correct?

So that said, what do you think? Do the vocals rear bother you that much and is the music minus the vocals correct?

What bothers me is that what's on the disc isn't representative of Larry Keyes' original quad mix. Once you switch them around, it rocks! One of my favorite quads.

OK, let me take you to surround school. Ten Years After, my favorite band, well one of them. Anytime there is a thread that says list you favorite for surround I always say TYA the Chryralis years.
A Space In Time has much controversy, about Alvin Lee's vocals in rears. They are wrong.
This 4.0 (no center) is beautiful. Stop listening to the vocals and put your mind into the Quad scene, also listen to all of TYA albums and figure where the band was coming from, lots of sounds moving all over stereo with all there albums. Listen to Stonedhenge, it will blow your mind.
Listen to the music and you will not even care about Lee's vocals, true 4.0 bliss. Now that we know Alvin is primarily in the rears, his vocals also echo to the fronts. I saw TYA at Winterland in San Francisco on the Space In Time tour, as usual I dropped acid and don't remember much except I was happy the whole concert and the lights shining on Alvin while I was in the balcony.
This DVD-A which comes in an LP box set is so out of print I can't even find it.
If you have it I challenge you to listen with the view point of a great 4.0 release and listen for Alvin's vocals to be rear while fading front, very enjoyable.
Please release all Chrysalis TYA in surround, I'll buy two. And you doubters, open your minds to the stereo releases of TYA and then this one and only 4.0, guranteed you will get it.
View attachment 40456

+1
I just bought the DVD-A by itself about a month ago (previously only had conversions) and I absolutely love it, I'll try swapping the fronts and rears and then decide how I like it:dance

What bothers me is that what's on the disc isn't representative of Larry Keyes' original quad mix. Once you switch them around, it rocks! One of my favorite quads.

I love the whole thing, but what I really love about it, is how cleanly the acoustic guitars sound, I'd like to know how they captured those in the studio.

Going all TYA in now, Recorded Live from Frankfurt 2 disc CD (not surround) but will give you all you want to know about TYA. The Dynamic Range on this live CD are 11's to 13's, beautiful.

I love the whole thing, but what I really love about it, is how cleanly the acoustic guitars sound, I'd like to know how they captured those in the studio.

I know! The outro swirl on "Here They Come" is one of my favorite surround pans ever. It's also really cool to switch off the rears during the guitar solo in "I'd Love To Change The World" and just hear the acoustic guitars playing.

Back