Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fc5239ac1da1e2ec80788497c88a8826.jpg
Every once in a while an extraordinary release comes along, one that is so good it makes you want to shout from the rooftops - this new Bluray concert video from Brand X is such a release... this phenomenally wonderful video is an absolutely stunning record of this classic jazz/rock fusion band in top form, with founding members John Goodsall and Percy Jones joined by new recruits Chris Clark on keyboards, the amazing Kenny Grohowski on drums and Scott Weinberger on percussion, and featuring an astounding 5.1 surround sound mix by original Brand X engineer Stephen W Tayler - well worth the price! You can order a copy via https://burningshed.com/brand-x_live-from-the-rite-of-spring-festival_blu-ray (and no, the band did not pay me to write this!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The day I got really ANGRRRRY!!!:mad::mad::mad:

inside jazz.jpg

Given the age of the material, and the fact that this is a Silverline release, (got this about a year ago) it made me furious that I enjoy this so much.
I have plenty of other Jazz SACD & DVD-A titles of great sounding HD Jazz; I guess it's just the fact an outfit like Silverline could get ahold of these and make them sound decent, even if quasi surround or not, it just burns my ass to think what else could be done with all the quality music out there just sitting in vaults rotting away! Am I sounding crazy or what?:mad:

The day I got really ANGRRRRY!!!:mad::mad::mad:

View attachment 36911

Given the age of the material, and the fact that this is a Silverline release, (got this about a year ago) it made me furious that I enjoy this so much.
I have plenty of other Jazz SACD & DVD-A titles of great sounding HD Jazz; I guess it's just the fact an outfit like Silverline could get ahold of these and make them sound decent, even if quasi surround or not, it just burns my ass to think what else could be done with all the quality music out there just sitting in vaults rotting away! Am I sounding crazy or what?:mad:

Actually PUPSTER, Quad Linda pointed out that most of these Blue Note Jazz titles were recorded direct to TWO CHANNEL and Silverline manipulated them through up mixing. If you REALLY want to hear these GREAT JAZZ TITLES, albeit in STEREO, I recently bought a slew of them on Blu Ray Audio [192/24] from CDJapan for $9 ~ $11 when they had their 'blow out' sale last year. IMO, they even sounded better than their equivalent Analogue Productions $30 Stereo/Mono SACDs produced a few years ago.

BTW, JUST checked CDJapan's website and sadly, those under $10 BD~A Jazz titles are NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4010?s_ssid=e340485c06f8aea4c4

Last edited:
Actually PUPSTER, Quad Linda pointed out that most of these Blue Note Jazz titles were recorded direct to TWO CHANNEL and Silverline manipulated them through up mixing. If you REALLY want to hear these GREAT JAZZ TITLES, albeit in STEREO, I recently bought a slew of them on Blu Ray Audio [192/24] from CDJapan for $9 ~ $11 when they had their 'blow out' sale last year. IMO, they even sounded better than their equivalent Analogue Productions $30 Stereo/Mono SACDs produced a few years ago.

BTW, JUST checked CDJapan's website and sadly, those under $10 BD~A Jazz titles are NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PROZ-4010?s_ssid=e340485c06f8aea4c4

I did miss those, that's a great price, would've pulled the trigger on those bad boys!
Actually, I've got nothing against great stereo, I like this one from Miles:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Ascenseur-Pour-LÉchafaud/release/6934607

Hangman, Hangman...:sneaky:

Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits
SACD DSD 5.1
Wow! o_O Based on comments, over the years (according to my memory) I'm shocked at how good this is! At least as good fidelity-wise as I've ever heard AIC and lots of really fun surround moments. Yes, most of the band is in all or most channels, most of the time. This freakin' RAWKS!

Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle

I just can't get enough of this album! Great surround mix, just wish it was Hi-Rez.

It is indeed very good, but I still don't get why they couldn't include the full "Space Intro". It was cut short on the old DTS-CD because that's sourced from the quad master (the quad mix has some extended/truncated parts, presumably to even out the programs on the Q8 tape). I'm not sure why they couldn't fully restore it on this brand new mix from the original multis.

On a related note, I sure wish someone would reissue the old quad mix of The Joker. It's a real four-corner job (unusual as Capitol quads were usually more subtle mixes) with the nearly the entire drum track in one rear speaker.

Last edited:
It is indeed very good, but I still don't get why they couldn't include the full "Space Intro". It was cut short on the old DTS-CD because that's sourced from the quad master (the quad mix has some extended/truncated parts, presumably to even out the programs on the Q8 tape). I'm not sure why they couldn't fully restore it on this brand new mix from the original multis.
This mix is almost astounding to me, but yeah I'd much rather have the full intro.

I like to read wiki about albums while I'm listening to them and just discovered that the little voice-over in 'You Send Me' is a sample from Cheech & Chong: 'C'mon, don't be nervous!' :ROFLMAO:

foo_ringo.jpg

Really enjoyable! It is mastered rather loud, and some of the songs are much better than others, but the surround mix is very good. Ringo's hard in the center and the backing vocals are completely through the rears. The best track is definitely his tribute to George, "Never Without You". That one's been a car DTS disc mainstay for a while.

Too bad he didn't follow this up with more- a digital reissue of the Goodnight Vienna quad (and unreleased Ringo, if it exists) would've been very welcome.

Back