Looking for remote for my Sansui QRX 6001 quad receiver.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk3331/disc rider

Being new to the Quadraphonic idiom, I am always looking for solid advice from others who have trekked these waters before me. I am looking to purchase a remote control unit for my Sansui QRX 6001 Quad receiver and would appreciate any advice and knowledgeable information that might be available.

The remote was not actually designed for that receiver to my knowledge. The QBL-100 remote has been retrofitted to the QRX-*001 series units but I have never seen the schematics to see how it is done. That knowledge does not seem to have been shared publicly. You could email qrxrestore.com and see if they will share that info with you or take your set in for retrofit. The remote seems to start well over $100US and has been seen as high as over $400US on ePay. By the time you buy the remote and pay to have it wired in and shipping both ways, you could have bought a bigger QRX or enough wire to mount the receiver next to your sitting area. Is it really worth that much to you? It would never recoup the costs in resale. The only other person I have heard do that mod is QuadBob and he is no longer a part of our community for good reason.

Thanks for the prompt reply to my recent posting and for offering some solid advice on the how retrofitting the QBL-100 is not really a sensible move on my part.

The remote was not actually designed for that receiver to my knowledge. The QBL-100 remote has been retrofitted to the QRX-*001 series units but I have never seen the schematics to see how it is done. That knowledge does not seem to have been shared publicly. You could email qrxrestore.com and see if they will share that info with you or take your set in for retrofit. The remote seems to start well over $100US and has been seen as high as over $400US on ePay. By the time you buy the remote and pay to have it wired in and shipping both ways, you could have bought a bigger QRX or enough wire to mount the receiver next to your sitting area. Is it really worth that much to you? It would never recoup the costs in resale. The only other person I have heard do that mod is QuadBob and he is no longer a part of our community for good reason.
You are correct in that modification is needed. If you can do it yourself , it would seem to be a nice way to find the sweet spot without having to go back and fourth to the reciever. I have one of these units just because I collect Sansui quad equip. I have not modded anything though. I don't like the idea of messing with my QRX 001's. If I remember right, I have a Harmon/Kardon that uses a microphone to adjust the surround .

I would be more inclined to say impractical. Many people do things that aren't fiscally reasonable but still find pleasure in them. If you will get that pleasure, then by all means go for it. It's kinda like the guy who buys a classic car from a field for sentimental reasons and plow more than twice the actual dollar value into it and enjoy it as long as they can afford to. I certainly have spent cash I should not have to further my quad gear and others might think I am not too smart for it. If you will get enough pleasure to justify it to yourself and can live with the cost then go for it. If you are in doubt, then hold off and think about it. There are other quad preamps, integrated amps and receivers that came prewired for remotes. JVC and Technics are known for that feature and the remotes are more affordable and plenty if you know where to look. I have a JVC and a Technics remote and both cost under $100US together with shipping. I have an integrated Technics and a JVC receiver (that I prefer to my Sansui) and an integrated Victor (JVC) that take the remotes. A quad preamp can also power modern power amps and be more reliable and replaceable. That said, I tried the remotes and found them more annoying than helpful. Serious noise from old contacts that is intermittent and unpredictable. Difficult to maintain too as parts are not common. I actually find the 6 paces to the audio gear to be easier on my mind and ears. Your experience may be different. One more point I'll add is that most of us who did add remotes to Sansuis did it to the 9001 as it holds the most value and the remote actually can make a small increase in value. The lower units are more common and less valuable for resale. You can put a turbo on a Pinto, but it makes more sense on a Mustang...

Thank you for advising regarding the challenges and feasibility of reto-fitting the QBL-100 for my Sansui QRX-6001. I am in agreement with you in that I don't really want to mess around with my Sansui Quad when the original design opted to exclude a remote altogether. Thanks again for your recommendations.

I would be more inclined to say impractical. Many people do things that aren't fiscally reasonable but still find pleasure in them. If you will get that pleasure, then by all means go for it. It's kinda like the guy who buys a classic car from a field for sentimental reasons and plow more than twice the actual dollar value into it and enjoy it as long as they can afford to. I certainly have spent cash I should not have to further my quad gear and others might think I am not too smart for it. If you will get enough pleasure to justify it to yourself and can live with the cost then go for it. If you are in doubt, then hold off and think about it. There are other quad preamps, integrated amps and receivers that came prewired for remotes. JVC and Technics are known for that feature and the remotes are more affordable and plenty if you know where to look. I have a JVC and a Technics remote and both cost under $100US together with shipping. I have an integrated Technics and a JVC receiver (that I prefer to my Sansui) and an integrated Victor (JVC) that take the remotes. A quad preamp can also power modern power amps and be more reliable and replaceable. That said, I tried the remotes and found them more annoying than helpful. Serious noise from old contacts that is intermittent and unpredictable. Difficult to maintain too as parts are not common. I actually find the 6 paces to the audio gear to be easier on my mind and ears. Your experience may be different. One more point I'll add is that most of us who did add remotes to Sansuis did it to the 9001 as it holds the most value and the remote actually can make a small increase in value. The lower units are more common and less valuable for resale. You can put a turbo on a Pinto, but it makes more sense on a Mustang...
Hobbies and common sense never mixed well! I too have spent way over value dealing with my hobbies. And as you said, if it makes one happy , why not. I am 67 , worked all my life since I could walk , why not splurge while I can still hear!

Cool read. Now I know I need one. Quad remotes were lousy for volume, when they had one. If I get a call I am running to the turntable to skip the needle off in a hurry. Now, if my wallet would just learn to refill itself...

Cool read. Now I know I need one. Quad remotes were lousy for volume, when they had one. If I get a call I am running to the turntable to skip the needle off in a hurry. Now, if my wallet would just learn to refill itself...
I'm talking to a guy in Germany right now about one. Trying to talk him into shipping to U.S.

I'm talking to a guy in Germany right now about one. Trying to talk him into shipping to U.S.
Right now it's better your wallet than mine! Hope the deal works out for you. I look forward to hearing how convenient it is. My wallet seem to be heading to Japan on the next flight! I found a crusty UDA-100 a lot cheaper than the one from the UK a couple years ago. Hope it can be made to work.

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with remotes. For vintage Quad equipement people seem to want more money for the remote then for the unit it'self! Vintage equipement always had wired remotes, but the interconnecting cable is a pain, with modern equipment the remotes are always wireless which poses it's own problem, I always seem to misplace the remote! My Samsung plasma TV is useless without the remote as everything is controlled by it! I built my own wired remote for my Audionics S&IC, but stopped using it as the cord was a pain and it's almost as easy to get up and twiddle the knobs on the unit it'self anyway. On the other hand I have a Panasonic wired joystick but don't know what I did with the receiver/amplifier that it attaches to!

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with remotes. For vintage Quad equipement people seem to want more money for the remote then for the unit it'self! Vintage equipement always had wired remotes, but the interconnecting cable is a pain, with modern equipment the remotes are always wireless which poses it's own problem, I always seem to misplace the remote! My Samsung plasma TV is useless without the remote as everything is controlled by it! I built my own wired remote for my Audionics S&IC, but stopped using it as the cord was a pain and it's almost as easy to get up and twiddle the knobs on the unit it'self anyway. On the other hand I have a Panasonic wired joystick but don't know what I did with the receiver/amplifier that it attaches to!
The advantage I see is that one can find (or setup) the sweet spot a little easier. For me , it's just f@#%$* with the s#$% that I like doing. I do that with my computer until I have to send it to the shop because it doesn't want to work anymore!?

The advantage I see is that one can find (or setup) the sweet spot a little easier. For me , it's just f@#%$* with the s#$% that I like doing. I do that with my computer until I have to send it to the shop because it doesn't want to work anymore!?
What about if you get caught up in boogieing??? Add heaphones and your a goner!

I was always very dubious of the very idea behind those old wired remote things from a hifi and engineering perspective. The very thought of sending multiple low level single ended pre-amp signals to some cheap potentiometers over many metres of equally cheap multi-core cable where they would be subject to cross-talk and noise pick-up filled me with horror!

I was always very dubious of the very idea behind those old wired remote things from a hifi and engineering perspective. The very thought of sending multiple low level single ended pre-amp signals to some cheap potentiometers over many metres of equally cheap multi-core cable where they would be subject to cross-talk and noise pick-up filled me with horror!
During that time , it probably was more of a sales gimmick than an actual usable piece .

Even TVs had wired remotes except the ones that chinked every time you snapped a button. A different chink to go up or down channel or volume or power. I remember our first cable box had 30 channels and real push buttins with a 25 foot cord. Our neighbour was the first channel surfer I knew and we could hear it all night.

Right now it's better your wallet than mine! Hope the deal works out for you. I look forward to hearing how convenient it is. My wallet seem to be heading to Japan on the next flight! I found a crusty UDA-100 a lot cheaper than the one from the UK a couple years ago. Hope it can be made to work.
Finally was able to negotiate a deal . It took some work . The remote controller has LF, RF, LR, RR, sub, rca inputs and outputs. I found a site where the controller was hooked up to a Marantz quad reciever :
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...e-quad-marantz-no-modification-needed.636579/
Now I just have to wait for it to come in from Deutschland.

Finally was able to negotiate a deal . It took some work . The remote controller has LF, RF, LR, RR, sub, rca inputs and outputs. I found a site where the controller was hooked up to a Marantz quad reciever :
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...e-quad-marantz-no-modification-needed.636579/
Now I just have to wait for it to come in from Deutschland.
Nice, the only thing it looks like it doesn't have is balance control only volume? The balance function is what I myself would most desire. Still this type of unit is a better way to go than getting the original wired remote.

Back