Looking Forward to 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link says there are hi-res wav files available, but no mention of surround.. is that still to come?
Ooops, my bad, should've pointed out that I have no other info than that FB post above.

So, let me re-phrase: the surround mix by B. Soord is going to be available on an upcoming Deluxe Edition of the album.

Also, The D/A Method's guitar player Umair is already a QQ member (@intothevoid), maybe he could chime in?

Well I've just bought the 3 stereo FLAC albums that are available - I think (nobody has signed the travel authorisation yet!) I've a few hours drive to the airport followed by a 5 hour flight next week so plenty of time to listen to them.

The link says there are hi-res wav files available, but no mention of surround.. is that still to come?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that confused me a bit earlier, but if you click on 'more' on the sort of bio on the right hand side of the page the end of the text says 'A Special Edition of the The Desert Road will be issued February 2019, featuring a brand new 5.1 Surround Mix by Bruce.', but nothing to say whether it will be a download or a disc...

Yeah, that confused me a bit earlier, but if you click on 'more' on the sort of bio on the right hand side of the page the end of the text says 'A Special Edition of the The Desert Road will be issued February 2019, featuring a brand new 5.1 Surround Mix by Bruce.', but nothing to say whether it will be a download or a disc...
Whatever it is, I'll buy it. Since I read about Bruce's mix here (and also thanks to a close friend who gave me as a present six months of Spotify Premium), this record has been in constant rotation. Amazingly good record, it reminds me of the most melodic Katatonia sometimes, but this is something completely different.

Some other thoughts about 2019 HERE

Especially noteworthy regarding Tears for Fears SEEDS of LOVE:

So what on earth is happening with Tears For Fears? For the last three years I’ve been saying we might see a Seeds of Love reissue and it has conspicuously failed to arrive. As a reminder, like The Hurting and Songs From The Big Chair reissues – which were issued in 2013 and 2014 respectively – I was involved in helping to compile The Seeds of Love reissue, and research bonus material back in 2015. I know what’s on it and it’s amazing! Steven Wilson completed the 5.1 mix in that same year. The work has been done but the band have been working on a new album for the best part of FIVE YEARS and it seems they can’t decide what gets priority. Things were looking great at the end of 2017 with the Rule The World greatest hits, the Royal Albert Hall show and some new material (particularly I Love You But I’m Lost ) but the momentum was somewhat lost with last year’s postponed dates. Another tour is due to start in February, but worryingly Curt has tweeted some messages in the last few days that suggests all is not happy in the TFF camp right now. I don’t know what’s going on, but I do know that 2019 is the 30th anniversary of The Seeds of Love and if the box set doesn’t come out this year, then we should all just pack up and go home.

Call me a completist, but I'd like the last Depeche Mode album, Spirit (2017), in surround. The latest info says that the Global Spirit Tour DVD (or BD), shot in Berlin and directed by Anton Corbijn, should be released before summer. I think it's now or never and almost hear 'sorry, not this time'.

They might throw in a 5.1 mix of "Spirit" with the live film, just like they did with the 2014 "Live in Berlin" release.
Either way, I'll probably buy the live release. I caught the Global Spirit live show in Nashville, and it was phenomenal!

:)

They might throw in a 5.1 mix of "Spirit" with the live film, just like they did with the 2014 "Live in Berlin" release.
Either way, I'll probably buy the live release. I caught the Global Spirit live show in Nashville, and it was phenomenal!

:)

I hadn't realised that they added the 5.1 of Delta Machine to a live release, I just thought they had stopped doing the 5.1 mixes, which was odd after the effort that went into the other albums. I've had a look at the Berlin box, strange that the concert video is on DVD and the 5.1 of Delta Machine is on Blu-ray. It also says the 5.1 of Delta Machine is 'released on Blu-ray for the first time' does that mean it is available in another format somewhere?

I hadn't realised that they added the 5.1 of Delta Machine to a live release, I just thought they had stopped doing the 5.1 mixes, which was odd after the effort that went into the other albums. I've had a look at the Berlin box, strange that the concert video is on DVD and the 5.1 of Delta Machine is on Blu-ray. It also says the 5.1 of Delta Machine is 'released on Blu-ray for the first time' does that mean it is available in another format somewhere?
No, the box is the only place where the 5.1 is officially at. Very worth having, methinks. I keep my fingers crossed that they do include surround mix this time. And yes, their (or A. Corbijns') inclination to DVD is a thing, as they also released 3DVD video compilation (stereo only) in meantime, but I really don't care if I get what I'm after.

I'm sure there will be a couple more Honeck/Pittsburgh Symphony releases on Reference Recordings. One two years ago won the Grammy and the one in 2018 was nominated. The discs aren't fully discrete the way some here prefer, but I've spent a few hours in Heinz Hall and they sound like Heinz Hall. Very well done.

Back