Looking Forward to 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just listened to Stick Men and Katatonia on Tidal at work. I could see myself buying Stick Men, but Katatonia, I call it Symphonic Metal, just doesn't grab me completely. Both are definitely fringe for me. Trying not to buy everything this year. I bet they would both sound great in surround at home, that I know.

What are you doing at WORK, Markie ..... you should be home nursing your 'boo boo!' Guess ya just can't keep a good man down.

See the source image

Last edited:
Fingers crossed that the projected releases hit the street, because there's a lot there that I would buy. In comparison, of the current 30 plus 2019 releases so far, I've only purchased 2. And one of those 2 has experienced shipping delays (anyone care to guess which one that is?).

Not a banner year so far for me, so I'm hoping Jonathan is right and the market makes a quick turn for the better.

Here's hoping that the second solo album by Paul Draper, Cult Leader Tactics, may come available in 5.1 this summer. The ex-Mansun frontman has released three surround titles so far, all mixed by Paul "P-Dub" Walton: first two Mansun records, Attack Of The Grey Lantern and Six, plus his solo debut Spooky Action.
If you're not too familiar with the artist, here's highly recommended recent article from Record Collector.

What say ye - for the next new surround release (non Classical) of 2019 ;) .

I'll say: Dave Mason ST from D-V
(What the hell😜)

"if you ever..
change your mind,
about leaving, leaving me behind,
woah oh bring it to me,
bring me that SACD!

BRING IT ON HOME
TOOO...

MEEEEEEEE....!!!!!!"

:rocks

(oh and bring it on home to Mr. Puppy Pupster Esq., while you're at it!) 🐶

I’m hoping Dutton Vocalion is simply waiting on licensing / clearances, and master tapes to be found, and more than a few great ones are in store for us.

Sony Japan are over due for 7” series 4.0, and Uni should ne coming up with a special box to follow the VU and Allman Bro sets. This just before Abbey Road big deluxe arrives. So see the potential there!

And if nothing happens on the new release front, I can always pull up Genesis “Lamb” in 5.1, and play Gentle Giant and others I’ve not given enough attention to. One could spring for the Chris Squire if not yet owned. I might grab it and sell off the vinyl or parts of it to offset the outrageous price tag on it.

Oh just remembered, today The Band - Music From Big Pink super deluxe is supposed to arrive, brand new 5.1 gets good notices round these parts (on most tracks) I read.

Ninecats said:
A side note, a selfie of Steven and Mikael Åkerfeldt was also published recently on his instagram, having a ”Storm Corrosion lunch”. If Storm Corrosion is yet again to release an album, then I am sure we have another 5.1 release in the pipes
Fingers crossed that Opeth's multichannel output could benefit from the lunch too - this just in from the band's FB:
Opeth are pleased to present you with the title and tracklisting for their awaited 13th observation! "In Cauda Venenum" is due out this fall on Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment.
opeth.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you're getting at. It would be nice if he returned to mixing Opeth. Not sure how realistic that is though, since he gave it up for Sorceress.
And Sorceress is a killer album... I so miss the days when Steven Wilson was mixing everything he could get his hands on. This drought is excruciating.

Back