Looking Forward to 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soundgarden's guitarist Kim Thayil confirmed for Blabbermouth.net that there will likely be some kind of a "Down On The Upside" reissue to coincide with the album's 25th anniversary (that would mean 2021, but WTH) that may include a multichannel mix:
SG-DOTU.jpg

Wow...the 2019 confirmed list at the start of this thread sort of dwindles to darn near nothing midyear....NOW! Strange and sad...

I've stopped buying marginal things just to have new surround...going through the older marginal things I purchased! Missing the days, just a few years back, when there were multiple releases to be crazily excited about...

I mentioned somewhere on the forum my opinion that Abbey Road would get the Box Treatment this year...in this post I said the bread crumbs would start to appear in the summer months and by August there would some information about at fall release...and I see there are some of "our neighbors" that are sure there won't be any 50th anniversary Abbey Road set...I remain optimistic there will be...to keep your interest level up...here is some reading

I mentioned somewhere on the forum my opinion that Abbey Road would get the Box Treatment this year...in this post I said the bread crumbs would start to appear in the summer months and by August there would some information about at fall release...and I see there are some of "our neighbors" that are sure there won't be any 50th anniversary Abbey Road set...I remain optimistic there will be...to keep your interest level up...here is some reading

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am fortunate to have heard the "home-made" quad version of Abbey Road. It is rudimentary because of what the creator had to work with. It still blows away the stereo version. How often do I listen to the stereo of Abbey Road?.......uh...never, except for the tracks on Love. An official surround-sound version of Abbey Road should be a no brainer.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am fortunate to have heard the "home-made" quad version of Abbey Road. It is rudimentary because of what the creator had to work with. It still blows away the stereo version. How often do I listen to the stereo of Abbey Road?.......uh...never, except for the tracks on Love. An official surround-sound version of Abbey Road should be a no brainer.

But yet the doubters persist 🤭

lacklustre's being kind Ralph, its been a terrible year so far! if the 2nd half of 2019 doesn't have a decent number of new releases (and one or two major hitters to raise surrounds' profile) it'll be the worst year for new surround releases since the doldrum years of 10 years ago, possibly even worse. where would we be without DV? :eek: nowhere, i tell's ya! if one good thing can come out of this surround drought, it'll hopefully be DV can clean up, make a load of dosh from us surround-starved Quaddies and pump that money into licencing more of the (probably pricier to licence) rock & pop we crave!! long live DV, the King of Quad! 🇬🇧

For me...the only way this year isn't a flop is a strong finish...it will take the Doobies Quadio...Abbey Road....The Band...and a long shot... The Eagles Long Run with a surround mix...those are MY strong wishes...and others of note...Animals...Seeds Of Love...Miles Davis Evil-Live....and one surprise that nobody saw coming...and maybe this year can rebound...it's just not going to be able to match the GIANTS...that were released last year....I mean when you have Music From The Big Pink...Electric Ladyland...and the White Album...that makes a year for me...just those 3...and then giving me Fleetwood Mac and Bitches Brew...wow...and for others Imagine was another stellar selection...I just don't see this year gaining momentum...it's sad that I'm not even excited about Tangerine Dream and King Crimson...even though I ordered them...

For me...the only way this year isn't a flop is a strong finish...it will take the Doobies Quadio...Abbey Road....The Band...and a long shot... The Eagles Long Run with a surround mix...those are MY strong wishes...and others of note...Animals...Seeds Of Love...Miles Davis Evil-Live....and one surprise that nobody saw coming...and maybe this year can rebound...it's just not going to be able to match the GIANTS...that were released last year....I mean when you have Music From The Big Pink...Electric Ladyland...and the White Album...that makes a year for me...just those 3...and then giving me Fleetwood Mac and Bitches Brew...wow...and for others Imagine was another stellar selection...I just don't see this year gaining momentum...it's sad that I'm not even excited about Tangerine Dream and King Crimson...even though I ordered them...

we might get one of those this year... :unsure:

Clinty, sounds to me like a bit of ennui is creeping in.....Not surprised you're not anticipating KC and TD ...you were NEVER a big prog rock fan to begin with...and my 'love affair' with it has likewise 'somewhat' diminished. And the fact that you don't watch movies...which IMO...have THE best surround around [even the more mudane ones] further limits your options.

And I will still cite to this day why surround remains in a niche rut ....... Except for a very few new releases which sport 5.1 or ATMOS remixes, POP/ROCK/JAZZ music has been critically shortchanged in the NEW music surround department.

So if one is NOT into prog rock or QUAD chestnuts from the late 60's or 70's, you're plumb out of luck.

And what doesn't help the situation further .... some of THE best selling artists of ALL times {M. Jackson, The Stones, B. Springsteen, Prince, Led Zep to name a very few] are absent from the 5.1 party [for wont of a better word].

So will ATMOS be a panacea in and of itself or will it be another feeble attempt by the majors to sell more music..and the hardware manufacturers to sell more equipment?

And sadly, if the majors have learned nothing from their past attempts at promulgating surround to the masses by carefully choosing what artists to highlight in this new format ...... what do you think will be the ultimate outcome?

And a bit or irony .... Of all the hardware sold today, Flatscreen TVs remain THE hottest item .... and yet 4K has been very slow to catch on with 3D BEING MORIBUND......And the amount of people who haven't even upgraded to Blu Ray would probably stagger the mind. Wonder if some of them are still using rotary telephones?

See the source image

Last edited:
Clinty, sounds to me like a bit of ennui is creeping in.....Not surprised you're not anticipating KC and TD ...you were NEVER a big prog rock fan to begin with...and my 'love affair' with it has likewise 'somewhat' diminished. And the fact that you don't watch movies...which IMO...have THE best surround around [even the more mudane ones] further limits your options.

And I will still cite to this day why surround remains in a niche rut ....... Except for a very few new releases which sport 5.1 or ATMOS remixes, POP/ROCK/JAZZ music has been critically shortchanged in the NEW music surround department.

So if one is NOT into prog rock or QUAD chestnuts from the late 60's or 70's, you're plumb out of luck.

And what doesn't help the situation further .... some of THE best selling artists of ALL times {M. Jackson, The Stones, B. Springsteen, Prince, Led Zep to name a very few] are absent from the 5.1 party [for wont of a better word].

So will ATMOS be a panacea in and of itself or will it be another feeble attempt by the majors to sell more music?

And sadly, if the majors have learned nothing from their past attempts at promulgating surround to the masses by carefully choosing what artists to highlight in this new format ...... what do you think will be the ultimate outcome?

I prefer a much more positive outlook🎁🔮🦴🌞🤞
The DV release flow steelydave so generously mentioned; the Doobies a little later; unknowns due to 50th anniversaries; the recent news on Atmos releases; and I feel confident even Sony has more of those 7” SACDs cocked and loaded.
So cheer up laddies the Summer of Surround Love is nearly here😎

I prefer a much more positive outlook🎁🔮🦴🌞🤞
The DV release flow steelydave so generously mentioned; the Doobies a little later; unknowns due to 50th anniversaries; the recent news on Atmos releases; and I feel confident even Sony has more of those 7” SACDs cocked and loaded.
So cheer up laddies the Summer of Surround Love is nearly here😎

But none of it, JP 🐶 , is what you'd call NEW MUSIC? That's my point.

So will ATMOS be a panacea in and of itself or will it be another feeble attempt by the majors to sell more music..and the hardware manufacturers to sell more equipment?

And a bit or irony .... Of all the hardware sold today, Flatscreen TVs remain THE hottest item .... and yet 4K has been very slow to catch on with 3D BEING MORIBUND......And the amount of people who haven't even upgraded to Blu Ray would probably stagger the mind. Wonder if some of them are still using rotary telephones?

See the source image

"..ennui all fall in love.. sometimes.." ❤️

The new Opeth album In Cauda Venenum (out 9/27) got surround treatment and is available on blu-ray audio in a "LP boxset". No word yet on who was twiddling the knobs this time.

Gulp
Is the new standard for us surround enthusiasts?
If you would like surround music, please buy our expensive box sets.
I'm not sure I will go down that route anymore
Except for the Abbey Road release.
And a few others
This is just takin the P..imo.

Thanks for the heads up though....sorry to poor cold water on your efforts...It just irritates me.

Thanks for the heads up though....sorry to poor cold water on your efforts...It just irritates me.
Oh this has been going on for too long now to actually annoy me:) I'll just wait for a price drop (hey, I've just scored the GN'R box set for $49 yesterday [thank you, Snoody]!) or a 3-for-a-price-of-2 promo. Also, for every mammoth release there is a Dutton-Vocalion or Surroundmusic.one title, so that's cool, too 🥳

Last edited:
The new Opeth album In Cauda Venenum (out 9/27) got surround treatment and is available on blu-ray audio in a "LP boxset". No word yet on who was twiddling the knobs this time.
That's what worries me, their last surround 'effort' (i.e. zero effort) was a crock of sh*t :poop:, any fool can add rear reverb, and did :mad: As you may have gathered I was rather disappointed, especially as I really liked the album.

Edit: :unsure: maybe the stereo is one for playing through the SM2 once its all plumbed in

Last edited:
Back