Lost the Plot, Getting It Back

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my most recent trip out west (San Diego office => Denver trade show class) I ran into this QQ bloke and we had one fabulous evening! Indoors and outdoors in the city near Mile Hile Stadium. [merely coincidence] :LB

capn4.jpg
capn1.jpg
capn3.jpg
capn2.jpg

Man everything has been crazy busy but good*. (*urinary tract infection this past Monday but the meds knocked it out; sorry if TMI) We are starting week 8 of house remodel (no kitchen and living room all this time) and hope to living normally in "two weeks" (Money Pit reference). Right after my Atlantic City workshop hosting finished, I headed north to visit my aunt near Glens Falls, NY. On the way up there, I had a sweet reunion with the guitarist of my main (only) band success after some 33 years. I'd been busy editing our 1984-1986 band history recordings and using iTunes as a librarian to manager it all crammed it all on my phone and showed him a YouTube clip of one of our songs in a club. So great to reconnect.

Early May: My younger son Brian and I flew to Denver and up to Cheyenne, Wyoming to chase the 4014 "Big Boy" engine (1 million pounds, 138 feet long) from Cheyenne to Ogden Utah. Engine 844 was helping and they had a diesel locomotive as backup if anything went wrong in the middle of nowhere. It stopped at small Wyoming towns along the way and then ended up in Ogden, UT for a big celebration. Then we went to Promontory for SPIKE150 for the spike that joined east & west to form the intercontinental railroad. Easily 25,000 people packed into that place; the Utah governor, both state senators, councilman, secretary of transportation were there as were TV crews and people from all over the world. Got some other footage and visit time with dear friends in Salt Lake City. Then it was time for the engine to head back home to Cheyenne, so we figured out where to get our last shots in Evanston, WY, ate one more breakfast at the train cafe, and headed towards Denver to fly home from our 11 days on the road.

Late May: My wife's turn at vacation travel we flew to Denver and drove to Breckenridge for the night; all Budget had left was a Toyota Corolla, which is fine around town but not great for mountain driving. Unbeknownst to me was that we'd be driving through a snowstorm after Memorial Day. The outdoor temperature kept dropping on the dashboard and my wife was getting very concerned if we were ever going to get there. 5-8 degrees grade downhill, slushy conditions made for a white knuckle ride! We got to the River Mountain Lodge and they told me this had popped up suddenly in the past 2 hours. Whew. We had a condo sized room and that helped me earn a lot of points back. We walked around town in the 40 degrees weather and then started our way towards Red Rocks for Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Special Friends (Jerry Douglas, Jeff Coffin) and Colorado Symphony. Great show in an incredible setting; sprinkled a little bit but not bad. Then we flew to Portland, OR so she could see the sights I've been babbling about for years. Amazingly we had 3 super sunny days there. Got to a VRBO cottage I let her pick out in a sweet neighborhood of which there are many up there. DOLLAR gave us a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited with 300 miles on it! I teased her that this trip would be her extended test drive. (we want one of these maybe next year) Sunday we drive to the Oregon coast, my birthday lunch and she drove me all over the coast that sunny day and back to our sweet cottage. She made some spaghetti and we put a couple chairs outside with adult beverages and watched it get dark. Blissful evening.

Then Monday we did the Columbia River Gorge (my fav) Washington state side down to bridge back to Oregon side. Stopped at a nice winery for samples on our way up to around Mt. Hood. Then we cut over to Crown Point center view tower and on to Multnomah Falls (it's all that) , Bridal Veil Falls and several more. Then we jumped on the freeway and met my dear friends Scott and Kate for a lovely dinner. I hope we can do that again very soon.

My other son and I will see Patton Oswald together on his birthday. He doesn't travel much but I'm proud of both of them. Happy Father's Day to all you great dads out there! 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

Last edited:
What a great recap Tim. So glad things are working out and you are having a great time. Excellent news all around.

Man everything has been crazy busy but good*. (*urinary tract infection this past Monday but the meds knocked it out; sorry if TMI) We are starting week 8 of house remodel (no kitchen and living room all this time) and hope to living normally in "two weeks" (Money Pit reference). Right after my Atlantic City workshop hosting finished, I headed north to visit my aunt near Glens Falls, NY. On the way up there, I had a sweet reunion with the guitarist of my main (only) band success after some 33 years. I'd been busy editing our 1984-1986 band history recordings and using iTunes as a librarian to manager it all crammed it all on my phone and showed him a YouTube clip of one of our songs in a club. So great to reconnect.

Early May: My younger son Brian and I flew to Denver and up to Cheyenne, Wyoming to chase the 4014 "Big Boy" engine (1 million pounds, 138 feet long) from Cheyenne to Ogden Utah. Engine 844 was helping and they had a diesel locomotive as backup if anything went wrong in the middle of nowhere. It stopped at small Wyoming towns along the way and then ended up in Ogden, UT for a big celebration. Then we went to Promontory for SPIKE150 for the spike that joined east & west to form the intercontinental railroad. Easily 25,000 people packed into that place; the Utah governor, both state senators, councilman, secretary of transportation were there as were TV crews and people from all over the world. Got some other footage and visit time with dear friends in Salt Lake City. Then it was time for the engine to head back home to Cheyenne, so we figured out where to get our last shots in Evanston, WY, ate one more breakfast at the train cafe, and headed towards Denver to fly home from our 11 days on the road.

Late May: My wife's turn at vacation travel we flew to Denver and drove to Breckenridge for the night; all Budget had left was a Toyota Corolla, which is fine around town but not great for mountain driving. Unbeknownst to me was that we'd be driving through a snowstorm after Memorial Day. The outdoor temperature kept dropping on the dashboard and my wife was getting very concerned if we were ever going to get there. 5-8 degrees grade downhill, slushy conditions made for a white knuckle ride! We got to the River Mountain Lodge and they told me this had popped up suddenly in the past 2 hours. Whew. We had a condo sized room and that helped me earn a lot of points back. We walked around town in the 40 degrees weather and then started our way towards Red Rocks for Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Special Friends (Jerry Douglas, Jeff Coffin) and Colorado Symphony. Great show in an incredible setting; sprinkled a little bit but not bad. Then we flew to Portland, OR so she could see the sights I've been babbling about for years. Amazingly we had 3 super sunny days there. Got to a VRBO cottage I let her pick out in a sweet neighborhood of which there are many up there. DOLLAR gave us a 2019 Subaru Outback Limited with 300 miles on it! I teased her that this trip would be her extended test drive. (we want one of these maybe next year) Sunday we drive to the Oregon coast, my birthday lunch and she drove me all over the coast that sunny day and back to our sweet cottage. She made some spaghetti and we put a couple chairs outside with adult beverages and watched it get dark. Blissful evening.

Then Monday we did the Columbia River Gorge (my fav) Washington state side down to bridge back to Oregon side. Stopped at a nice winery for samples on our way up to around Mt. Hood. Then we cut over to Crown Point center view tower and on to Multnomah Falls (it's all that) , Bridal Veil Falls and several more. Then we jumped on the freeway and met my dear friends Scott and Kate for a lovely dinner. I hope we can do that again very soon.

My other son and I will see Patton Oswald together on his birthday. He doesn't travel much but I'm proud of both of them. Happy Father's Day to all you great dads out there! 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

Snood be out of breath just reading that - Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :QQlove

I always loved that album.... :)
I was fortunate enough to see him in late 1988 on the New York album tour in San Diego. The Feelies opened the show. New York CD was also one of those CD+G releases but only 13 people had players with outputs and knew what it was!

I was fortunate enough to see him in late 1988 on the New York album tour in San Diego. The Feelies opened the show. New York CD was also one of those CD+G releases but only 13 people had players with outputs and knew what it was!
I'd forgotten about CD+G. So I had a look at my copy of New York (BTW it is a good album, only other one I have is Transformer), and on the sticker it says "CD+Graphics Equipment can be purchased starting July 1989", never did buy a machine capable, anybody ever had one?

IIRC, there were a few players that had sub code output to feed decoder and a couple CD+G capable players with decoding built-in all for 8 bit cheesy images. Probably all hashed out on QQ way back when.

Quick dispatch: work travel, house remodel (10 weeks), nasty infection (3 weeks), concerts (Electric Light Orchestra, Patton Oswald, Anders Osborne) need to update Recent Shows. Geddy Lee Big Beautiful Book of Bass signing and Q&A with producers, buying stuff I haven't gotten around to hooking up. Many cool shows coming up. Updated FB QQ page with Jethro Tull - Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Edition. Stay cool everybody. :rocks

Quick dispatch: work travel, house remodel (10 weeks), nasty infection (3 weeks), concerts (Electric Light Orchestra, Patton Oswald, Anders Osborne) need to update Recent Shows. Geddy Lee Big Beautiful Book of Bass signing and Q&A with producers, buying stuff I haven't gotten around to hooking up. Many cool shows coming up. Updated FB QQ page with Jethro Tull - Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Edition. Stay cool everybody. :rocks

Rock on, Mr. Timbre. You certainly are keeping that plate full! Good for you.

Back home now - hosted a 2 day software workshop for 85+ people in Scottsdale and then escaped up to Portland to decompress. No photos of us humans this time (Tad's new dog is cool), I did manage to get down to Eugene and spend the afternoon / evening with Tad Bartel and another friend of his named "Tim". Simplest introductions possible and we got along famously. We of course played some 5.1 & quad music and talked of favorites and oh, what might have been, yet we also got outside when the sun peeked through and toured his many gardens and flowers while admiring the view. After the rain took an encore, we piled in the car and went out for pizza, beer and more laughs. I live for these moments the most.

This feller introduced himself about 3 blocks from Tad's house. :)
deer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back