Lost the Plot, Getting It Back

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the prostate cancer thing about 3 years ago. They caught it early by a PSA test. 25 radiation beam treatments, and Brachytherapy at the end of it. It was pretty much painless until I found out my urethra was burned up. I had to keep drinking water to keep it from being irritated and closing up on me. The water thins the urine, keeps the lining from getting inflamed.. About a month of that and some very painful emergency room catheterizations, and I finally got a doc in a box to give me a cortisone shot and prescribe me some prednosone. That was a tremendous help. Beer turned out to be a big help too, once I had gotten close to being healed up. I finally got to hear my oncologist say "You're in the clear". That was a fine day.
The Quadfather

I did the prostate cancer thing about 3 years ago. They caught it early by a PSA test. 25 radiation beam treatments, and Brachytherapy at the end of it. It was pretty much painless until I found out my urethra was burned up. I had to keep drinking water to keep it from being irritated and closing up on me. The water thins the urine, keeps the lining from getting inflamed.. About a month of that and some very painful emergency room catheterizations, and I finally got a doc in a box to give me a cortisone shot and prescribe me some prednosone. That was a tremendous help. Beer turned out to be a big help too, once I had gotten close to being healed up. I finally got to hear my oncologist say "You're in the clear". That was a fine day.
The Quadfather

Thanks for sharing your story, it parallels my experience quite a bit. Did your treatment plan also include injections of Lupron every 90 days? My next appointment is the day after tomorrow and this will be the 2 year mark, thinking I have a followup with radiologist / urologist soon to where we decide whether that continues. My PSA stays right at 0.01% undetectable with these injections and I expect it will normalize to something higher when I'm allowed to discontinue. Willing to continue with beer intake. :)

Apologies to anyone squeamish!

Thanks for sharing your story, it parallels my experience quite a bit. Did your treatment plan also include injections of Lupron every 90 days? My next appointment is the day after tomorrow and this will be the 2 year mark, thinking I have a followup with radiologist / urologist soon to where we decide whether that continues. My PSA stays right at 0.01% undetectable with these injections and I expect it will normalize to something higher when I'm allowed to discontinue. Willing to continue with beer intake. :)

Apologies to anyone squeamish!

Well, when this thread started I felt compelled to respond. But like so many other thing it slips in & out of mind & seems to never get done. Anyway here I am.

Just turned 68 yo and was diagnosed with PC 7 yrs ago in October. After the biopsy I investigated all choices (none of which clear cut & certainly not appealing) & settled on radical prostratectomy in Novemeber. My annual check up is next week & if all is good it will be 7 years PC free soon! Like you, <0.06 PSA. Of course your only as good as your last test so we will see.

Interestingly there is a quad connection here! I mentioned some time ago on another thread when I was 30 I met a local high end audio & quadraphonic fan who was twice my age. He retired early & no longer needing physical exams for work he was glad to avoid them. Then he was gone from PC by 65. His comment to me was "go to the doctor & get a finger up the old wazoo it will be worth it". He was right.

Tim, unlike you I didn't want to go traveling or have any kind of a bucket list. Nothing extravagant, I just wanted to lose the catheter, heal & get back to my regular daily life. I had some years to go to keep working. But I have been vicariously enjoying your adventures & I can tell your the kind kind of guy I wish I had for a neighbor. I guess our neighborhood is QQ! So congratulations to you & Quadfather on surviving the treatments & even better surviving after the treatments.

P.S. I hated the pre-surgery Lupron injection. Hated, hated ,hated it. Nothing like being in a business meeting when it feels like your head is on fire..... No need for it at this point.

UPDATE: Okay maybe January is the last one; got them thinking about a change for me based on good numbers for a long stretch now.
Flying to NYC tomorrow to catch Adam Holzman (Steven Wilson, Miles David, The Fents) performing a Truth Decay show before they leave for European tour. Some friend visits happening too. :)

Let's try an interview skit....

Host: What was the most unusual thing that happened recently?
Tim: It's a toss-up between emptying 400 disc changers into storage books, replacing a woofer in a surround mid-bass box or maybe that squirrel who ran around the room and then hid behind the piano.
Host: Are you serious?
Tim: Absolutely. I'm applying some realizations these days and things are improving.
Host: Such as?
Tim: First, that my friends are so important to me; more valuable than material possessions and that the time with them is the real treasure.
Host: Doesn't that get expensive?
Tim: Not if you plan right. I turn down few opportunities and work to invent a few myself.
Host: That's living right. What's new with this collection you fret about?
Tim: I've seen the light; actually that was 2-3 years ago. The disc changers are being phased out; I've been playing with a 1TB drive into the Oppo player and I know this is the end game.. The Sony 400 disc changers redeem themselves but the Kenwood Sovereign (aka Sufferin') are just awful. DV-5900M = Possibly the worst piece of junk I've ever had the displeasure to use. Was it the mind-of-its-own transport or the Robbie-The-Robot styling? Nah, just pure 403 disc capacity and DVD-A format support. They were just storage for discs; I thought it would get me to listen more but it never happened. That's all over now.
Host: Sounds like we have a breakthrough here?
Tim: It's been in progress so this is making it public. I bought another Oppo BDP-93 for the quad system so that will be next.
Host: How much of all this music that you've amasses have you ACTUALLY heard.
Tim: Stop it.
Host: No seriously!
Tim: Okay! Okay! I was drinking from a fire-hose! I've got almost all of it, meaning quad and 5.1 mixes I wanted for a long time. If I was being honest I've heard maybe 20% of what I have access to.
Host: Did you stop there?
Tim: Of course not, I started collecting the schmaltz stuff too; stuff I would never pay money for. But the allure of downloads, storage and cheap blanks called my name. At least I have those as backup in the future.
Host: You can take solace in that.
Tim: My iTunes library is now 54,450 songs! It's time to go in the other direction.
Host: So why don't you do Spotify?
Tim: Because I have felt guilty about what I already have here that I haven't heard.
Host: So how do you hear new stuff you bought?
Tim: I didn't even try for a good while. Over the summer I started adding those CD albums to my iPad jukebox for random playback. But now it's cold weather so that's not happening like it was. But I now know my direction to get it back big time.
Host: So what does that mean?
Tim: That 1 TB drive I mentioned experimenting with? I put it on Shuffle and heard 100+pieces of music that I would never have started on my own. This is iPad jukebox theory for surround mixes and I'm pointing the boat in that direction now.
Host: Are you self-absorbed?
Tim: No! This was an unusual exercise to confess for moments on end.
Host: I charge for the couch, the advise is free, Now get out here and continue with your plans...
<SCENE>

Update from the road: in conjunction with the Adam Holzman show in NYC last week, I had three lovely visits on Long Island. This included my first time meeting Bill Brent. Bill is a gracious fellow and way way way into the Quad hobby! He has quite the collection of gear and the vinyl, tape and digital files to go with it. As a film buff, he has projectors and many autographed movie posters and stills. As you all know Bill is very generous in sharing quad in 51 files. He also has 16,000 listeners to his streaming radio shows. His hospitality was much appreciated. (Photo n/a)

I arrived in Portland, OR yesterday (r&r after Vegas trade show) and immediately started I new surround receiver and OPPO disc player swap at a dear friends house for about three hours. Quadtrade Tad reminded me to check out CrossRoads records store while in PDX. My friend Scott was familiar with the story from its old location and said yeah let’s go down and check it out. So we did and I finally met Quadwreck Eric! He has a great store with a substantial inventory of quad vinyl, some Q8 tapes and some DVD-A and SACD titles. I’ve not seen that much surround material in a retail store in ages. I also managed to grad some CDs I’ve been looking for while there. I’ll definitely be stopping there again on my next trip through and recommend it to all. Oh and we did get a photo this time. 😉

Attachments

• 0E282D8A-C0ED-4473-90AB-390B1C3C09D9.jpeg
    0E282D8A-C0ED-4473-90AB-390B1C3C09D9.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
UPDATE: As of right now, my treatment injections are over! Monitoring PSA every 90 days now as I gradually revert to normal (?!?) over the next few months. I got the news yesterday and started celebrating big time immediately which is why I'm rather subdued today. Whew. :rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back