Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth DTS-CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I couldn’t find a thread or poll about this excellent disc! Maybe just me?

Anyway—does anyone know who did the surround mix on this one? I can’t seem to find it in the credits anywhere. (Maybe I’m just really bad at looking for things today?).

Another glass of champagne please!

I don't know who did the mix either, but it's a shame there is no poll entry for this one as it is my favorite DTS CD ever. I'd give it a ten for sure.

Wow, Emmylou Harris, Leo Kottke, and Rickie Lee Jones are on this one (among MANY others!)... looking forward to hearing this one...

Definitely among the TOP 20 Surround Discs in my collection. The mix is fully immersive and the sound on the DTS disc is definitely MLP DVD~A quality. Also a 10 [or 11] in my book.

This OOP DTS RBCD is still available....albeit at a premium [but WELL WORTH IT]: https://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judge...775922&sr=1-1&keywords=joshua+judges+ruth+DTS

Yep. This is easily the best sounding DTS disc I have, but it was always a great sounding album. And one of those where I imagined what tracks like “Church” would sound like in surround and it was exactly as I hoped.

Can’t believe this one hasn’t gotten more attention. My favorite Lyle Lovett album as well.

Yeah he mixed the original stereo. Maybe he did the surround too? Doesn’t really say. Great mix though.

the booklet in the DTS CD is just a copy of the CD credits afaik.
i just checked my copy and it certainly doesn't specify who did the 5.1.

i guess it could have been remixed into 5.1 by George Massenburg, although he only did one or two he was credited for, other albums he was involved in that saw subsequent surround remix were remixed into 5.1 by others, such as Paul Klingberg in the case of the Earth Wind & Fire 5.1 mixes.

Nathaniel Kunkel is credited as co-recording this album and we know he did a lot of 5.1 mixing so putting 2+2 together and making 5.1 it may not be too much of a stretch to suggest this one could have been mixed into 5.1 by Massenburg & Kunkel or just by one or the other. or neither of them! uh oh..! :ugham: :yikes :nukethe short answer is.. nobody knows! :D

Last edited:
Nathaniel Kunkel is credited as co-recording this album and we know he did a lot of 5.1 mixing so putting 2+2 together and making 5.1 it may not be too much of a stretch to suggest this one could have been mixed into 5.1 by Massenburg & Kunkel or just by one or the other. or neither of them! uh oh..! :ugham: :yikes :nukethe short answer is.. nobody knows! :D

Well, nobody knows did a great job. I still wish I could vote and give this the perfect 10 it deserves.

I'm very surprised there's no poll for this one. Should see one soon.

I've posted a few times on QQ about this disc. It was one of my first surround purchases and still one of the best. It will get a 10 from me - It would have got an 11 but it's not hi-res :couch

It does sound good as a 5.1 mix goes, but maybe slightly bright, I should listen again. One of the best DTS releases.

It was George Massenburg

the booklet in the DTS CD is just a copy of the CD credits afaik.
i just checked my copy and it certainly doesn't specify who did the 5.1.

i guess it could have been remixed into 5.1 by George Massenburg, although he only did one or two he was credited for, other albums he was involved in that saw subsequent surround remix were remixed into 5.1 by others, such as Paul Klingberg in the case of the Earth Wind & Fire 5.1 mixes.

It does sound good as a 5.1 mix goes, but maybe slightly bright, I should listen again. One of the best DTS releases.

Too Bright? It sounds like a bona fide DVD~Audio disc on my system and the surround envelopment is simply astounding! :banana:

IMO, one of DTS Entertainment's crowning achievements. If only all their discs sounded this good!

One man's bright is another man's articulate. One man's warm is another man's veiled. I've learned to take these statements for what they are worth.

BTW, I think this is a very articulate disc, and that is a good thing.

One man's bright is another man's articulate. One man's warm is another man's veiled. I've learned to take these statements for what they are worth.

BTW, I think this is a very articulate disc, and that is a good thing.

Well put. A brilliant album, stunning musicianship and IMO, a CLASSIC!(y)(y)

Based on the comments here I just picked this up on eBay. Thanks to everyone, as always, for sharing your opinions. Sure hope I like it!!

Back