Marillion - "Afraid of Sunlight" 4CD/Blu-Ray deluxe edition out November 1st

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No poll yet? I think I'll land in the 8-9 range.
Here's the Life in Surround Review!
Marillion Afraid of Sunlight 5.1 Review
https://youtu.be/APMmKKv4O7Q

I liked your review. Have you tried ripping the Blu-Ray to see if you have the same skipping? I didn't pre-order this one, but I'm considering buying it now. I have Radiation and I did not like the mix, although it is by far my least favourite album of theirs, so that might play into it.

I liked your review. Have you tried ripping the Blu-Ray to see if you have the same skipping? I didn't pre-order this one, but I'm considering buying it now. I have Radiation and I did not like the mix, although it is by far my least favourite album of theirs, so that might play into it.
I haven't tried blu-ray ripping yet. I need to!

I'm really surprised by the mix, it's really good, all of a sudden Mike Hunter got it! It's a diametrally different mix from his previous efforts, fully discrete.
Only drawback so far is that I've been tempted to decrease volume of my rears as sometimes the background vocals drown the main in the front. I need more listens though.

Only drawback so far is that I've been tempted to decrease volume of my rears as sometimes the background vocals drown the main in the front.

That's interesting...I'm playing it now, and I think that the backing vocals in "Beautiful" (which are isolated in the rears) could be louder. I agree though that the mix is pretty good - definitely better than Clutching At Straws.

Last edited:
Mine just shipped from Amazon UK - ended up at £22.99 (shipped)...of course it'll be probably the next weekend before it arrives and I can hear it.

Great interview with Steve Hogarth about this release here - apparently remixing it proved to be a greater challenge than anyone expected:
Following on in that series, you’ve just announced that you’re currently working on the deluxe reissue of ‘Afraid of Sunlight’.
Well, ‘Afraid of Sunlight’ is another thing because, the masters for ‘Afraid of Sunlight’ were lost. They got put in a skip when the studio where we mixed it – Bar Street in Liverpool – kind of went out of business. So when we came to look at the process of remixing, remastering, the 5.1 and all of that, the source material didn’t exist. Our genius producer Michael Hunter went in the loft in our own recording studio and started digging out all the original DAT tapes that the initial recordings had gone on, and trawling through them to try and find out which takes had been used, and he physically recreated the album from basically shit off the floor. So it’s nothing short of a miracle that he managed to do that.

Great interview with Steve Hogarth about this release here - apparently remixing it proved to be a greater challenge than anyone expected:

Amazing. It always blows my mind how something like this could happen - like, this is one of only eight albums the band had released in their 15 year career up to that point. How do you not have a copy of the masters?

So I just got my order... Surprisingly, I got a signed A4 with it. I guess they didn't sell very many? I bought from Racket Records, but ordered it maybe the day before it came out. Looking forward to listening to it later!

Back