Quad LP/Tape Poll Mason, Dave: It's Like You Never Left [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Mason

• 10: The Best

Votes: 5 62.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Meh

• 1: Crapola

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 31721 from 1974.

Side 1:

Baby...Please
Every Woman
If You've Got Love
Maybe
Head Keeper

Side 2:

Misty Morning Stranger
Silent Partner
Side Tracked
The Lonely One
It's Like You Never Left

On the Q8, "Every Woman" and "Silent Partner" are reversed to even out the side timings.

ED :)

Thanks for the poll!

The Columbia quad catalog is full of titles like this: these mid '70s albums that didn't really chart well, from a semi-famous artist who either didn't quite peak yet or had already peaked. You wouldn't think to to check it out, but when you do you find it's actually a great listen all the way through despite the lack of hit single.

Obviously Dave Mason is known for being a member of the original Traffic line-up, and he would later have a hit with the Let It Flow album (what a shame that one didn't make it to quad), but I think this album and his other 2 quads aren't really too well-known in the scope of his larger catalog.

I really dig this! I heard a Q8 conversion first and then I picked up a minty SQ LP at a record store a few months later. I'd describe it as sort of CSNY-style folky rock (to the extend of actually featuring guest cameos by C&N!). My favorite tracks are "Baby...Please", "Silent Partner", and "The Lonely One" (cool harmonica cameo by Stevie Wonder on that one).

The quad mix is another Don Young/Harold J. Kleiner triumph. Drums are upfront, individual guitars and harmonies are in the rear speakers, and there are even some 360 pans. There's no shortage of amazing moments, like the acoustic guitar strumming audibly spinning around the room at the beginning of "Silent Partner", or Crosby and Nash isolated in each rear speaker in "Baby...Please". It's just as revelatory as those Poco mixes IMO.

A big 10 from me. This is my #1 pick for D-V to release on SACD right now, preferably as a two-fer with either the self-titled album or "Split Coconut". The self-titled is musically superior but I'd almost prefer "Split Coconut" as it has never been heard in discrete.

Props to @fredblue and @steelydave for making me aware of this one via informative old posts.

ILYNL.jpg

Last edited:
I'll add this excellent post by @fredblue about the 3 Mason quads from the "Suggestions For D-V" thread:

tbh I don't know how they fit into his catalogue or how they were received at the time and never heard those mid-70's Dave Mason albums at all until getting into the Quad from SQ LP thru the Surround Master thing which was only a few years ago but wow to me they are really great records and nice Quads!

they get somewhat less "Quaddy" from 73's "Its Like You Never Left" which is a really aggressive mix, 74's self-titled album mix is still active but maybe slightly less bash you over the head Quad than ILYNL but the eponymous one is my favourite album of the 3 Quads that saw release.. while I found "Split Coconut" from '75 the most subtle surround of the 3 mixes, its still nice and musically funky with a kinda island/beach almost Hawaiian feel in places, vibes and marimbas that kinda thing.

I hope some or all of these get a new audience on Surround SACD from DV someday, I think they'd be well-received by members here :)

Just got my hands on this one. My sister had given me the original stereo LP as a birthday present sometime in the late 70's. The vinyl went missing sometime over the years and I never got around to replacing it so I hadn't heard the music in decades. So a major trip down memory lane here.

As for the mix, WOW! This thing is very sweet. Really discrete and active. An easy 10.

The opening song is called "Baby....Please". I'd like to change that to "DV....Please". If they can get the licensing for Art Garfunkel, I bet they could get the licensing for Mason. This could be a great two-fer with one of his other quads. Although, like with the Garfunkel titles, I'd happily pay full price if it was issued on its own.

Only three votes on this is a crying shame, I haven't voted because all I have is a conversion, but at least I got a taste for what it could be! That's exactly a great reason for D-V to get this out (two-fer) on SACD so more folks can experience these wonderful albums in glorious Surround.
A big +1 privateuniverse on D-V...Please:QQlove

I love Dave Mason too. This one & "Dave Mason" are typical for his rock guitar stylings while Split Coconut has a Caribbean twist. Check out SJ Corne's post #2 (above) for a good description of the mix. Holds true for the other two titles. They are great examples of Columbia's full surround quad mixing of that era. I give this a 9.

Back