MAX RICHTER: SLEEP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In 2016, German Classical Label DGG released an 8 CD/1 BD~A of Max Richter's SLEEP ..... perhaps the longest continuous New Age/Ambient musical composition in history [8 hours] and AmazonUS is now selling it for $40. I cannot find any info if the BD~A is in surround, but my guess it is NOT!

See the source image

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-8-CD-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B016PP7628/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

See the source image

The ULTIMATE SLEEP AID/MAX RICHTER

Last edited:
In 2016, German Classical Label DGG released an 8 CD/1 BD~A of Max Richter's SLEEP ..... perhaps the longest continuous New Age/Ambient musical composition in history [8 hours] and AmazonUS is now selling it for $40. I cannot find any info if the BD~A is in surround, but my guess it is NOT!

See the source image

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-8-CD-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B016PP7628/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

See the source image

The ULTIMATE SLEEP AID/MAX RICHTER

I vaguely remember when this came out, too, Ralph--and yes, I think it was stereo only. Also remembering (I think) that there was a download version of the entire umpteen-hour experience?

I vaguely remember when this came out, too, Ralph--and yes, I think it was stereo only. Also remembering (I think) that there was a download version of the entire umpteen-hour experience?

From the Amazon reviewers who downloaded the contents of Sleep there was supposedly rampant distortion in the files.......

I'm tempted to take the plunge and order the set but 8 hours of ambient/new age music, IMO, might be a bit much even for moi! And I could certainly do without the CDs!

From the Amazon reviewers who downloaded the contents of Sleep there was supposedly rampant distortion in the files.......

I'm tempted to take the plunge and order the set but 8 hours of ambient/new age music, IMO, might be a bit much even for moi! And I could certainly do without the CDs!

You can stream it on Apple Music (and presumably other streaming platforms--maybe even in hi-res). Or download it from Acoustic Sounds, for a price:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/111239/Max_Richter-Sleep-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download
Cheaper than HDTracks or ProStudio Masters, though. (Presto is a buck cheaper.)

You can stream it on Apple Music (and presumably other streaming platforms--maybe even in hi-res). Or download it from Acoustic Sounds, for a price:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/111239/Max_Richter-Sleep-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download
Cheaper than HDTracks or ProStudio Masters, though. (Presto is a buck cheaper.)

Thanks for the links but I don't download at this juncture. It's commendable that DGG and DECCA are releasing on BD~A but the inclusion of RBCDs only spikes the prices and results [IMO] in unnecessary clutter which is why I've always liked SACDs with their hybrid layer .....avoiding repetition. But then BD~A's uncanny capacity, is, I suppose, a small price to pay for so much music on a single disc.....in stunning sonics!

I bought the set, took out the blu ray, and then sold the 8CD set on eBay for not too much less than I paid for it, to someone who didn’t care for the BDA. He got a saving on an unplayed set of CDs, and I ended up with an 8 hour blu ray Audio for less than £10. Everyone’s happy 😃

Thanks for the links but I don't download at this juncture. It's commendable that DGG and DECCA are releasing on BD~A but the inclusion of RBCDs only spikes the prices and results [IMO] in unnecessary clutter which is why I've always liked SACDs with their hybrid layer .....avoiding repetition. But then BD~A's uncanny capacity, is, I suppose, a small price to pay for so much music on a single disc.....in stunning sonics!
A very sizable percentage of classical listeners are CD listeners, and frankly the pressing costs for CDs at this point are tiny. While I get the annoyance, just need to go along on this one.

There's been a lot of CD/BD stereo sets released from Universal Music, but only a few have been MCH. I haven't heard about a new one in a bit, either. I suspect they didn't get a bounce in sales from the inclusion of MCH, but who knows?

What a coincidence. I am listening to Max Richter’s Amazon Station right now.

Question: Is there any artists in this neo-classical / ambient genre that have released anything in surround? I would suspect that these (if they exist) would be more immersive stereo than discrete.

Question: Is there any artists in this neo-classical / ambient genre that have released anything in surround? I would suspect that these (if they exist) would be more immersive stereo than discrete.

There's a thread on this somewhere. What I can think of offhand: whole bunch of John Luther Adams pieces, mostly on Cantaloupe. Lots of great orchestral, chamber, and vocal ensemble recordings on Sono Luminus, including some very immersive, "ambient-adjacent" music (not all of it contemporary); performers include ACME (Thrive on Routine), ICE (In the Light of Air, AEQUA), Iceland Symphony Orchestra (Recurrence), Nordic Affect (H e (a) r), Skylark (Crossing Over, Seven Words from the Cross). In a similar vein to Skylark, see also two discs by A Far Cry on Crier Records. Sono Luminus almost always includes Atmos and Auro mixes a/w/a 5.1.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Just thought of another: Jóhann Jóhannsson, Virðulegu Forsetar (Touch, 2004)

I'm listening to this watching the footy game between Newcastle and Man City.
Which currently is 1 1 after 35 mins.
Will I still be watching by the end of the match...
I feel so drowsy :sleep:….

It is stereo but my Sony X800 player selected Full Dolby Surround on my Marantz receiver…so got surround stereo...there's an enigma for you. Sooooo Relaxi...zzzzzz
Gone again!!

Last edited:
Back