media players 095

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, i have my upmixes, quads, and dewatermarked dvd-a's in iso i would just have to tag em but i would want to rerip all of my retail dvd-a's because i would no longer need to worry about the watermarks with the nuc. can do. but...

1. can I purchase the unit you listed in the link With the power cord or is it different? or should i just wait until the one without the cord is available and then where would i get the cord?

alright G, I'm sold. thank you , Just have to check my finances this weekend and going to purchase asap and thanks to everyone else who chimed in, really helped alot. I now understand a whole lot more about what this nuc is all about. I feel like I am stepping into the 21st century here. K

ok gents, thank you, now can I purchase the one in the link you posted that has the power cord because I definitely want/need a power cord as it sounds like it is proprietary to this unit, plus for some odd reason it is $10 cheaper with a cord??
I now understand why you want to convert to 5.1 flac not hard just time, got it no problem.
the SSD and the 2x 4g ram just plug in easy, got it.
and an internal hard drive is unnecessary, got it.
so what does linux cost?

The SSD serves the same purpose as an internal hard drive (also called a hard disk drive or HDD} . A HDD uses rotating disks and mechanical pickups to store information. An SSD has no moving parts at all. Its like a big internal USB drive. SSDs are much faster than HDDs. But high capacity SSDs are very expensive. Prohibitively so to use for something like storing a music library. You will run programs, your media player (Kodi) and your operating system from the SSD. You will store music files on an HDD which is slower, but much larger.

A NAS is a separate box that plugs into your home network. It holds full size HDDs. Mine holds 4, but large ones can hold 10 or more, and separate NAS boxes can even be daisy chained together to provide huge mounts of storage. You can access the music files stored on the NAS from nearly anything you can use to connect to your home network, with a wired Ethernet connection, or with Wi-Fi. You can even be at a remote location and access your music over the internet, if you set it up that way. My NAS holds 4 drives, but I only have 2 installed. Both are 4TB. One is a mirror image of the other in case the primary one crashes. I can also add drives at any time if I need more storage.

What are you using to store your files now?

I have them on a 5 tb external hard disc drive, western digital i think.

ok going to head on home from work now, thank you all, the NAS definitely sounds cool down the road thank you as I also had no idea what that was.

Last edited:
One more thing on conversion. The slowest part is ripping from disc, limited by the optical reader. Since you already have your discs in ISO file format the conversion to FLAC (or DSF) will be much faster.

I'm preparing to rip my disc collection. Any recommendations for an external optical reader? Thanks.

Now days they're all pretty good but I'd get a Blu-ray drive. They will read DVD-V, DVD-A and CDs too of course.

If you have SACDs your need an Oppo 103 (or limited other BD players)

I use NTFS. (ExFat should be ok too). Don’t use FAT32 as it won’t handle files over 4GB, ok for most audio but hopeless for HD video.

Last edited:
I’m using a latest 8th generation i3 NUC (NUC8i3BEK) successfully (LibreElec/Kodi 18.4) for all my multichannel audio and HD Video. There’s a thread here on setup etc. NOTE: Kodi doesn’t yet support 4K HDR, it ‘tone maps’ HDR to SDR so it looks ‘normal’.

These can run Windows and all typical audio apps used by QQ members if you’d prefer to go down the Windows path. Foobar, VLC, JRiver etc

EDIT: Link to NUC8 install setup:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nuc8i3beh-how-to-installation-of-parts.25705/

Reactions: GOS
Back