HiRez Poll Metallica - METALLICA (The Black Album) [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Metallica - METALLICA

• Total voters
Gave it a 9. I'm a longtime fan of the band's older material, and this was the last great album by them. So the material here is a 10 for sure.

The instrumentation mix is really good. This album sounds great to begin with. Bob Rock at the top of his game. From the opening of Enter Sandman, the kick hits you right in the chest and doesn't stop. Hetfield's signature rhythm guitar is right where it needs to be and that was what I was most worried about. The issue I have with the overall mix is the lead vocals. They are wet with reverb and unceremoniously dumped in the FL and FR. If ever there was need for some drier vocals in the center channel...it's on this very disc. So for the mix I gave an 8, material a 10, overall vote is 9.

And may I say, bring on the 5.1 mixes of Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All and for good measure, a disc that contains Garage Days Revisited and all the B-Sides from '83 to the Black Album. I'd love to hear their cover of Breadfan and Stone Cold Crazy in surround.

I am seeing titles I haven't voted on yet, so catching up. I ddn't hear (or not) anything that meritted some of the complaints here, but still is not as good as others I have voted higher on. I am once again thankful for this grenre being released in hi rez. I liked this a lot, and gave it an 8, but actually wish I picked 9 at this point. Regardless, still very good. Not my go to reference disc, but still very listenable.

I gave it a 7. I actually gave my copy away. Yeah, I'm a Tallica fan. What I will say is this. This particular mix/disc is about as good as this will ever sound...any format. It does jam, I mean, you can flat out crank this DVD-Audio.

But, knowing how Metallica sounds, they could have done a better job, IMO. Why not more bass? Live, they nail it. Again, I gave it a 7. Decent.

I liked this a lot, and gave it an 8, but actually wish I picked 9 at this point.
I believe we can change our votes now.

When I listen to hard rock or metal in surround, my first question is, does this sound better and do I enjoy this more than my CD or LP? If so, my vote will be favorable, regardless of whether the mix is super discrete or not. But I am looking for important musical elements in the surrounds to get in to the 9/10 range.

Really hope they either stick this mix or do a new one for the inevitable box set they do for the album next year. I'm not very interested in the ones for the first three sets but if they put in a surround mix and the Year And A Half in the Life Of doc I'd definitely want a copy for myself.

I'll confess I bought the Master of Puppets box, even without a surround mix. But, my plan is to resell after enjoying the content, assuming the value holds. I really dig MoP though.
I can see picking up an AJfA box, if and only if they remix, bringing up the bass. Going with the mixing engineer's original intent would be smart.
As for The Black Album, they'd have to improve on the DVD-A mix and stay hi-res. I think my DVD-A's place on the bookshelf is safe...

Talk about late to the party. Just got a mint copy.
Believe it or not it's my first Metallica purchase.
Awesome. It can only go down from here.
Glad I read the reviews and lowered the subwoofer level. Some serious LFE going on here.
Don't bother playing this on a weak sister system.
You're wasting time....

Not much of a Metallica fan even though Jason Newstead is from my neck of the woods at the moment, and met him through mutual friends (nice guy some cervical issues now). On to the title, bought for a couple tracks and decided I didn't like it enough to rate it or keep it in my collection.

I gave it a 7. I actually gave my copy away. Yeah, I'm a Tallica fan. What I will say is this. This particular mix/disc is about as good as this will ever sound...any format. It does jam, I mean, you can flat out crank this DVD-Audio.

But, knowing how Metallica sounds, they could have done a better job, IMO. Why not more bass? Live, they nail it. Again, I gave it a 7. Decent.
Varied reviews here and I respect them.
But "low on bass". The system must be set up incorrectly.....

Hardly that. I have window shaking bass. Just my preference to have more bass on this title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GOS, I can see how your statement is eyebrow raising. To my ears (butt and chest) this album has every bit as much bass as your typical hard rock album, not only kick, floor Tom's, but bass guitar too.
There are also songs that showcase bass, like Misery and God that Failed, and the ultra-deep bass of Wherever I May Roam would be right at home in a Chris Nolan film.

I think both this Metallica and the Temple of the dog Blu-ray deserve alot of respect. It's difficult getting a good M/C mix with this type of music. They manage to retain the full on frontal assault and also add discrete wickedness through the surrounds.

I think both this Metallica and the Temple of the dog Blu-ray deserve alot of respect. It's difficult getting a good M/C mix with this type of music. They manage to retain the full on frontal assault and also add discrete wickedness through the surrounds.
Make sure you check out Metallica The Videos, if you want to hear how great Metallica can be in surround. Lossy, but still sounds quite good.

I as well listened to my copy again. So, here’s what Ithink. I said lack of bass, relative to other Metallica output I own. I still stand by that...but, I believe the snare drum and cymbals are so screeching, they drown out the bass. For me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back