Mike Oldfied Discovery in Jan 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesomesauce! Love both Discovery & Killing Fields. I do see a single CD reissue for Killing Fields scheduled for that same date so hopefully the deluxe version will be added to Amazon soon. There is also a listing for a new title called The 1984 Suite which, judging by its artwork, appears to be related to these two albums. It'll be nice to have something new in January after all the goodies that we're getting this fall. Bring it on!

Hopefully the DVD is the complete album in 5.1. Wasn't Incantations abridged in 5.1?

Incantations was abridged due to missing multi-tracks. (This broke my heart as it's my favorite Oldfield album.) As far as I know, this shouldn't be a problem with these two releases (although I vaguely remember something about missing multi-tracks for "Etude." Am I remembering correctly?)

Also, Amazon lists Discovery as 3 discs. The handful of bonus tracks that are listed for the disc could easily fit on the same disc as the main album. Presumably it's 2 CDs + 1 DVD. So who knows what's on CD2? Perhaps a live CD? That would be in keeping with the other releases.

Last edited:
No 5.1 for the proper albums? Nooooo! What gives?!

I hope he returns to 5.1 for the upcoming ones. Tubular Bells II and Songs of Distant Earth, for instance, would be incredible in Surround.

Amazon UK listing says "Newly remastered for 2016 and available in 1-CD, 180GM vinyl, digital and true HD editions."

I want to know more about the "True HD" edition, possibly Blu-ray? Or 24-bit download? I don't care whether it's BD or download but if I can get the 5.1 content in a lossless format I'll be very happy.

"The Lake" is in 5.1, that's all I need to hear.

Hallelujah brother, that's all I needed to hear too...now hopefully I'll hear that the 5.1 will be lossless or uncompressed for a change, no more bloody DVD-V releases Mike, it's almost 2016! Blu-ray's coming up on its 10th birthday.

There is a post of facebook and for the life of me I can't find it. It has the content of the three discs, there is not a full 5.1 of Discovery I can say. Possibly the multitracks ended up in the same place as incantations. But hey there is something.
The same post also confirms that the Killing Fields will not be in 5.1, just a remaster.
In another post Mike says he does not have all the multi's from the warner years including TB2.
I'll have another search on FB but my phone always gives me a different view and search seems too hard!

Ughhhh.....maybe this is old news to some, but I just found this. The version of the Discovery track "Poison Arrows" that we will get in 5.1 is re-titled "Zombies (Halloween Special)". It's basically "Poison Arrows" with the original vocals removed and a computerized voice singing them instead. Additionally, the chorus lyric has been changed from "somebody's out to get you" to "zombies are out to get you." What would possess Mike to do this? Here's the video:

[video=youtube;5Cxjyfuwf74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cxjyfuwf74[/video]

Ughhhh.....maybe this is old news to some, but I just found this. The version of the Discovery track "Poison Arrows" that we will get in 5.1 is re-titled "Zombies (Halloween Special)". It's basically "Poison Arrows" with the original vocals removed and a computerized voice singing them instead. Additionally, the chorus lyric has been changed from "somebody's out to get you" to "zombies are out to get you." What would possess Mike to do this? Here's the video:

Not sure man - but with all those elements in your post...I"d say he IS possessed. :) Maybe The Exorcist finally caught up to him...

That's Stephen Hawking on vocals. Dreadful. Unlistenable.

now, this one is out since January 29 (at least here in Germany). Is there still nobody who can tell us about the qualities of this release?

now, this one is out since January 29 (at least here in Germany). Is there still nobody who can tell us about the qualities of this release?

I've had this since last Friday, and have listened twice to the reworked 1984 Suite in 5.1. The surround sound is very good, although it's a shame that he didn't do the whole Discovery album in 5.1. The parts of The Killing Fields album that he has worked into this new Suite are excellent however, better than most of Discovery. What is definitely not excellent is the truly horrible Zombies that he has included in this (a reworked Poison Arrows, with computer (Stephen Hawking like) vocals). I can't listen to it again, what was he thinking!

Just gave this a listen. There is lots about it to like. I remember Steven Wilson saying in the past that when he mixes an album into 5.1, that it's important to him that the new mix still have the same feel as the original recording that people are familiar with. I have felt that some of Oldfield's previous 5.1 mixes have strayed too far from the feel of the original. This is not the case here. The mixes are very nice with very active use of the rears but still feel like the same music I've been listening to for the last 30 years. The two opening songs ("To France" and "The Lake") are real highlights. Very immersive mixes with very nice sound. Unfortunately, the next track ("The Killing Fields (Main Theme)") has a particularly harsh sound to it. I had to lower the volume as it was causing me fatigue and gave me a bit of a headache. The mix on this track is nice, but the sonics poor. The transition into the next track ("Etude") is abrupt. Sounds like a poor edit or perhaps an authoring issue. The surround mix continues to be excellent on this track as it is through the rest of the disc. I was excited for the next track, "The Royal Mile", as it had been billed as a previously unheard tune from the era. It is however an alternate version of the b-side "Afghan." Nice none the less. After that we have "Zombies (Halloween Special)". As mentioned above, this is pretty unforgivable. A perfectly good song destroyed with a horrendous new alternate vocal and lyric. Who knows, maybe Mike's a big Walking Dead fan? But if he had to pay tribute, couldn't he have done it with a new tune (or at least destroyed a tune I already didn't care for like "Magic Touch"?) And besides, if anyone is going to pay tribute to The Walking Dead, shouldn't it be Ian Anderson? After all, it's his son-in-law who's the star of the show! But I digress..... The 1984 Suite ends with the title track from Discovery and another fine mix.

Hard to know how to rate this one. Other than the harshness on one track, it is overall an excellent mix, probably the best mix that Mike has done yet. However, Discovery and The Killing Fields comprise approximately 80 minutes of music but we only get about 37 minutes of that mixed into surround. If this was due to missing multi-tracks then it can be forgiven, otherwise there was no reason not to mix both albums in their entirety into 5.1.

I just got my copy of Discovery and have only had a chance for one listen so far.
For the most part pretty enjoyable listen and Mike O. has done a good job on the mix.
The first couple of songs, real nice and as privateuniverse stated in previous post something not right with Killing Fields mix, its louder than previous songs, had to turn down volume as well compared to previous couple of songs.
Rest of the songs sound fine with songs six and seven being the weakest songs out of the seven to me.
The vocal on song six is odd for sure and I found song seven, Discovery, the vocal to me is also the weakest part of that song to me.

peter

I gave this a first listen today and I do like the mix, it fits the music well, I agree with others that the Zombie track vocal is weird, but the rest of the album is good - a shame all the available tracks weren't mixed into surround.

Back