Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and "Sketches of Spain" remixed to ATMOS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sketches of Spain" can be done in a wonderful "up-mix" because it's already been done and released by Monster Music on DVD.

I have a Columbia six-eye stereo first. I suspect it is still the definitive version.
I’m a stereo fan myself, but the mono 6-eye is the killer deal on this title no doubt. It just has an emotional pull that the stereo lacks. And that is why price has gone into the stratosphere on it.

Kind of Blue is a three track recording, yes? ...
Yes it is.

It was nice to have it presented in 3 channels in the 5.1 format too! :)

So... what reverb/ambience plugin fx are we going to be treated to listening to from the ceiling speakers here?
Snarky yes, but I think that's a pretty darn fair question!

I think best case scenario, they'd record the original 3 channels played back in a nice acoustic space, with distance mics at ear and ceiling level, and that's what would be mixed in the surround and heights.
Hopefully no plugins are involved.

I think best case scenario, they'd record the original 3 channels played back in a nice acoustic space, with distance mics at ear and ceiling level, and that's what would be mixed in the surround and heights.
Hopefully no plugins are involved.
I'd take a convolution reverb with the direct signals vs adding a room, speakers, and mics to the mix. Just sayin'
Between recording a room vs a reverb plugin, I'll take the plugin. Mind you, I don't want either!

Point is, there obviously isn't any material recorded that can be separated out for this title. Least of all height content! Anything someone did would be a simulation.

And simulated content (along with the gimmicky use of "Atmos" in marketing brochures with soundbars and the like) is just the worst case scenario beginnings for this format.

And simulated content (along with the gimmicky use of "Atmos" in marketing brochures with soundbars and the like) is just the worst case scenario beginnings for this format.
It took me decades to get a proper 5.1 system together to play all of the modern surround formats (DTS, DD, DSD, LPCM and FLAC files), and get the cash together to purchase the media on discs. And 15 years to develop the contacts/relationships to acquire those underground conversions from old 46 year old tapes and LPs.

And now, they mean to tell me that that's not good enough, and I need a new receiver and yet more speakers? They must be marketing to the newbie who has no idea what surround can be and what has already been accomplished with 4.0 and 5.1,

I think that they need to go in and release the surround mixes already done, before bothering with remixing, or upmixing more things. There are tons of Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. albums that are all mixed and the tapes are in fine enough shape (so far) that they can reissue them. Rhino w/ WMG, AF and D/V in association with Sony, etc. have shown us that there is enough content, we don't really need another copy of "Kind of Blue" or "Sketches of Spain" to listen to.

Last edited:
It took me decades to get a proper 5.1 system together to play all of the modern surround formats (DTS, DD, DSD, LPCM and FLAC files), and get the cash together to purchase the media on discs. And 15 years to develop the contacts/relationships to acquire those underground conversions from old 46 year old tapes and LPs.

And now, they mean to tell me that that's not good enough, and I need a new receiver and yet more speakers? They must be marketing to the newbie who has no idea what surround can be and what has already been accomplished with 4.0 and 5.1,

I think that they need to go in and release the surround mixes already done, before bothering with remixing, or upmixing more things. There are tons of Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. albums that are all mixed and the tapes are in fine enough shape (so far) that they can reissue them. Rhino w/ WMG, AF and D/V in association with Sony, etc. have shown us that there is enough content, we don't really need another copy of "Kind of Blue" or "Sketches of Spain" to listen to.

Especially considering they'd be upmixed from Original THREE CHANNEL ANALOGUE MASTERS! Granted, Monster Music did a very credible job upmixing Sketches of Spain into 5.1 but the addition of two overhead channels would, IMO, really be OVERKILL!

Last edited:
I thought in this case it was the L and R channels duplicated at a lower level in the Ls and Rs as a crafty way to get the proper balance between C and L,R without "alteration" alterations.

They must be marketing to the newbie who has no idea what surround can be and what has already been accomplished with 4.0 and 5.1,
Exactly. Or worse, marketing to people they've duped into buying crap like a soundbar and will never even hear proper hi-fi stereo let alone surround sound and thus be none the wiser. That's what this is starting to smell like. I still can't get past the thing that can't even be properly used for stereo having the words "Atmos ready" in the brochure.

I thought in this case it was the L and R channels duplicated at a lower level in the Ls and Rs as a crafty way to get the proper balance between C and L,R without "alteration" alterations.

Exactly. Or worse, marketing to people they've duped into buying crap like a soundbar and will never even hear proper hi-fi stereo let alone surround sound and thus be none the wiser. That's what this is starting to smell like. I still can't get past the thing that can't even be properly used for stereo having the words "Atmos ready" in the brochure.
The thought they they could market upmixes as if that’s is the way it’s done period.

It’s fine for big budget movies if they really want to spend the cash - but they make it sound as if one can’t position the sound at any particular place without those addition speakers and amp. Like good old pan pods simply can’t do it properly. What B.S.

Anyway, music is where they are going to fall flat on their asses. Let them invest in up-mixes. Let the public compare a Yes or a Pink Floyd surround with their fake phony junk, and see it tank.

More ATMOS negative nancys. I don't get it honestly. For movies and the limited music, I find it quite remarkable.

I think the 'perceived' negativity emanates from the fact that DOLBY ATMOS would be better utilized remixing masters other than THREE TRACK. I just watched the DOLBY ATMOS BD~V 4K remaster of Abkco's Rolling Stones Rock 'n Roll Circus and in 5.1, [I don't have Atmos] it was PURE 5.1 MONO!

Besides, Sketches of Spain and Kind of Blue......two unmitigated classics......have IMO [and others] been DONE TO DEATH.

Last edited:
More ATMOS negative nancys. I don't get it honestly. For movies and the limited music, I find it quite remarkable.
Yeah... let's hope they keep the music end of it very limited.

They are simply not going to roll the dice on rolling the multitrack tapes. It's too expensive and too much trouble, and it takes someone who really knows the particular album. Sure they could pay off Giles and Uni for a Pepper or Abbey Road one-off. But it's not like Steven Wilson is being courted, and Elliot is being brought out of retirement for a good run of top titles. Bob Clearmountain is not being asked to come on board.

I can just picture it, Steven can you dial it in more to sound better on a soundbar? And compress a tad more (or a lot more) to get it punchy on ear buds!

Last edited:
From this month's Sound/Vision regarding the Dolby Atmos remix of Kind of Blue:

Kind-of-Blue-small.jpeg

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/miles-davis-gets-re-mixed-dolby-atmos

Did you also notice that the Stereo version was LPCM from a 'Vinyl Transfer?'

Maybe things will change, Mike. I'm sure at some point both KoB and Sketches will 'somehow' be commercially availably through SONY.
Yeah, I think they included that vinyl drop just for comparison. That's a shit comparison, IMO, btw...

I'm not too fussed. I like my MC discs of KoB and SoS already. I can run them through Atmos any time I want! Not quite the same, I'm sure, but we're talking about 3-channel sources...

:SB

Back